Search: Posts made by: Dan Marotta
Forum: Soaring June 14th 21, 08:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Russia AC-5M Engine Problem

Increasing throttle after turning off the ignition might just make it
diesel longer.* Perhaps reducing the idle RPM with the idle adjustment
screw would help but you may then need to apply a...
Forum: Soaring June 13th 21, 11:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Russia AC-5M Engine Problem

Do you have a fuel cut off valve?* How about a choke lever, pulling the
choke on a hot engine might kill it.

Dan
5J

On 6/13/21 9:34 AM, Branko Stojkovic wrote:
I have been having a problem with...
Forum: Soaring June 10th 21, 07:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
X-change Dittel for Becker

I've never seen such a thing, but it might not be too much work to
simply remove the panel, remove all of the switches and instruments, and
plug the square hole with fiberglass or carbon.* Then...
Forum: Soaring June 9th 21, 11:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Im ashamed for all of us.

My my...* This reminds me of the kindergarten game wherein the teacher
tells one student a simpla story and he passes it on to another and she
to another.* At the other end of the line the story...
Forum: Soaring June 7th 21, 05:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
SSA Sailplane Tracker

Thanks Mark,

I was following on Flight Aware, noted his landing, and texted him a
welcome down message.* He told me this morning that the ground crew
helped him put the glider into a hangar and...
Forum: Soaring June 6th 21, 08:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
SSA Sailplane Tracker

I've been looking for a friend on the SSA Sailplane Tracker but there
are no flights currently shown for Moriarty, NM.* A quick look at
Flightaware 0E0 clearly shows him south bound out of...
Forum: Soaring June 6th 21, 07:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Tow plane ideas

Real men fly tail draggers!

Oh, what I really meant was, at least for high altitudes, I wouldn't tow
behind a 100 hp tug.* My gut tells me that the pawnee 260 has more
excess horse power than the...
Forum: Soaring June 5th 21, 12:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Flarm Target direction

While it's not the ideal solution, I connected my Powerflarm portable to
both my ClearNav and to a Dell Streak running XCSoar using a simple Cat
5 cable splitter.* A better way would to use a...
Forum: Soaring June 3rd 21, 11:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Tow plane ideas

Not so noisy if the pilot would only reduce propeller RPM after
achieving a safe climb.* I was the only tuggie at Moriarty who did
that.* The others make ear shattering noise as they over fly the...
Forum: Soaring June 1st 21, 10:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Testing

Had to /reconfigure/ _Thunderbird_ settings following an *"update"*.

--
Dan
5J

Thanks, but I know I'm seeing him as we communicate each others'
locations and the outside view tracks what I see on the instruments.* I
saw something in my Flarm startup log that said something...
Forum: Soaring May 29th 21, 03:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
LX90xx fln or flx file install for Flarm Contest ID?

Thanks, but I know that he's in the FlarmNet database and I still see
his ICAO address on my FlarmView device and on my ClearNav I see the
last two characters of the ICAO code.* Really...
Forum: Soaring May 28th 21, 08:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
replacement instruments

Nah, I meant enthalpy, the sum of the system'sinternal energy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_energyand the product of its
pressure and volume, not entropy, a state of disorder,...
Forum: Soaring May 28th 21, 08:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
LX90xx fln or flx file install for Flarm Contest ID?

I don't expect the Flarm portable display to show contest ID, but I find
it odd that I see some contest IDs and not others.* I've uploaded the
appropriate files for the ClearNav and for the...
Forum: Soaring May 28th 21, 08:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Tow plane ideas

The C-180 has 230 hp.

Dan
5J

On 5/27/21 4:09 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 2:43:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 3:56:29 PM...
Forum: Soaring May 28th 21, 01:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
LX90xx fln or flx file install for Flarm Contest ID?

Today I updated my ClearNav II and my FlarmView display and still did
not see my friend's contest number, only his ICAO ID.* Someone told me
that I also have to load the flarmnet file into my...
Forum: Soaring May 26th 21, 08:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Tow plane ideas

I did a few tows using a Maule back in the 80s and I didn't like it.*
Flying with a stick is much easier for towing and the visibility out of
the Maule did not compare to that from a Pawnee.

I've...
Forum: Soaring May 26th 21, 08:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
LX90xx fln or flx file install for Flarm Contest ID?

I just went through a horrible time updating my Flarmnet file in my
Flarmview device.* I could not find the executable file, fln2flx.exe
anywhere on the net and google and duckduckgo searches came...
Forum: Soaring May 26th 21, 05:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
replacement instruments

Last time I set foot in Steve's hangar, I could feel the rise in enthalpy...

Dan 5J
On 5/25/21 9:58 AM, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 1:45:52 PM UTC-5, Mark Mocho wrote:
One...
Forum: Soaring May 24th 21, 06:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
replacement instruments

Don't send it to him - not even if he offers money.* One more item in
his hangar and it will probably explode!

Dan 5J
On 5/24/21 8:30 AM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Dear Phoenix: If you are not...
Forum: Soaring May 23rd 21, 03:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Looking to borrow an ASW-27 horizontal stabilize in SW USA

Well, Tom's a bit on the crazy side, but I don't think he's an idiot.

Hey Tom, remember that day that Kathy Taylor landed out in the bison
ranch south of Westcliffe?* She borrowed your ASW-20...
Forum: Soaring May 21st 21, 02:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
replacement instruments

How about a nice ADF receiver and indicator that I'm pulling out of my
C-180?

Have you got an electric vario?* I would highly recommend a ClearNav XC
vario, if not.* My CNII is RAM mounted and I...
Forum: Soaring May 21st 21, 02:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Starter Ship FS

Conjugate, Man, conjugate...

Dan 5J
On 5/21/21 7:02 AM, Waveguru wrote:
Where is Lenny when we need him?

Boggs
Forum: Soaring May 18th 21, 09:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
OLC viewing question

Didn't mean to trigger anyone.* Just was happy to recognize the desktop
in the picture. 😂

Dan 5J
On 5/18/21 10:09 AM, kinsell wrote:
That was just Herb. He's easily triggered* :-)

On...
Forum: Soaring May 18th 21, 03:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
OLC viewing question

Oooooo... Another Linux user!

I'm gonna have to go back to HTML despite folks complaining that I'm
yelling at them. I'm not.

Dan
5J

On 5/17/21 8:05 PM, kinsell wrote: