Search: Posts made by: WB
Forum: Soaring September 5th 20, 12:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By WB
Any Hornet / Hornet C owners.

On Thursday, September 3, 2020 at 8:45:45 PM UTC-5, Herbert Kilian wrote:
On Tuesday, September 1, 2020 at 4:19:02 PM UTC-5, WB wrote:
On Tuesday, September 1, 2020 at 10:09:18 AM UTC-5, Dan...
Forum: Soaring September 2nd 20, 05:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By WB
Any Hornet / Hornet C owners.

On Tuesday, September 1, 2020 at 4:45:19 PM UTC-5, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Tue, 01 Sep 2020 14:18:59 -0700, WB wrote:

And, no I've never seen either a 301 Open Libelle or a 206 Hornet.

Forum: Soaring September 1st 20, 10:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By WB
Any Hornet / Hornet C owners.

On Tuesday, September 1, 2020 at 10:09:18 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
That's interesting. Given that the Mosquito and Hornet look exactly
alike from any distance, I always assumed the Hornet's...
Forum: Soaring August 5th 20, 04:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By WB
Scheibe glider parts question

Longshot question regarding parts commonality in Scheibe aircraft: Can anyone tell me if Scheibe used a common aileron bellcrank across different models of their gliders?

Thanks!
Forum: Soaring June 21st 20, 08:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By WB
Paint for white fiberglass trailer top

On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 2:22:56 PM UTC-5, WB wrote:
On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 10:00:06 AM UTC-5, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
I got an older Anschau Komet trailer that needs some care and...
Forum: Soaring June 21st 20, 08:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By WB
Paint for white fiberglass trailer top

On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 10:00:06 AM UTC-5, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
I got an older Anschau Komet trailer that needs some care and decided to repaint the entire top side, which is white...
Forum: Soaring June 16th 20, 02:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By WB
Fly Deliberately. Fly Tasks - Proving Grounds

Many thanks to Patrick McMahon, Chris Gough, and all others involved for building the "Proving Grounds" platform to encourage cross country soaring. My club, Southern Eagles Soaring, has signed on to...
Forum: Soaring June 5th 20, 08:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By WB
Mini-Winch for FES

On Friday, June 5, 2020 at 1:10:12 PM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
WB
Thats a good Vid!
Do you know what movie that was taken from?
Nick

La Grande Vadrouille.
Forum: Soaring June 5th 20, 06:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By WB
Mini-Winch for FES

On Friday, June 5, 2020 at 12:26:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Good and cheap are mutually exclusive. A good, safe machine won't be cheap.

Right, but I thought the idea of the...
Forum: Soaring June 5th 20, 03:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By WB
Mini-Winch for FES

On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 5:38:23 PM UTC-5, Kenz Dale wrote:
On Thursday, March 5, 2020 at 1:22:48 AM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
I'd rather take my chances on something that would...
Forum: Soaring June 5th 20, 03:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By WB
How reliably do CG hooks disconnect when the angle of the ropeexceeds the autorelease angle

On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 4:33:29 PM UTC-5, Kenz Dale wrote:
I understand that CG hooks are designed to autorelease when the angle of pull passes a certain critical angle. Is this a very...
Forum: Soaring May 11th 20, 01:03 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By WB
Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

There have been some proposed engineering solutions, and even prototypes built of automatic tow releases to prevent kiting accidents. I believe the main problem has been that the difference in the...
Forum: Soaring May 11th 20, 12:52 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By WB
Bailout and survival kit

I second the knife with the little glass breaker nipple on it. As resident manager of a “treller park” in North Carolina, my brother carried one of these and demonstrated it to me one day when I...
Forum: Soaring May 5th 20, 11:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By WB
How About Story Time

On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 3:35:44 PM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
LOL.....I won't name site...but decades ago I was at a club site (I was a member of) and wanted to take my son...
Forum: Soaring May 5th 20, 09:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By WB
Bailout and survival kit

On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 1:35:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Dehydrated water. Now that's effin funny.

Bernard Foods Dehydrated Water. The first and still the best. Responsibly sourced,...
Forum: Soaring May 4th 20, 03:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By WB
What have we learned from all this?

Thank you!

George Carlin used to have fun with phrases like “representative democracy“.
Forum: Soaring May 4th 20, 05:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By WB
What have we learned from all this?

Yes, I thought it was a good time to invoke Godwin’s!

Time to get back to soaring, or at least talking about soaring.
Forum: Soaring May 3rd 20, 11:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By WB
What have we learned from all this?

What do I think has been learned? A way to extract TRILLIONS of $ from the US Treasury!

The professional scaremongers are doing facepalms saying “Why didn’t we think of this?”

Oh, sorry...
Forum: Soaring May 1st 20, 07:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By WB
How About Story Time

On Friday, May 1, 2020 at 1:15:18 PM UTC-5, john firth wrote:
On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 2:40:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Maybe this is a good opportunity for some of us to...
Forum: Soaring April 19th 20, 09:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By WB
Glider zoom meeting background

On Sunday, April 19, 2020 at 12:57:45 PM UTC-5, soaringjac wrote:
Want to be inside the cockpit flying when on a zoom call? You can use this background of my Astir (I know). You can always make...
Forum: Soaring April 12th 20, 02:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By WB
Soaring Not Dead Everywhere

On Saturday, April 11, 2020 at 9:12:15 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Ok let me reorient this post back to topic. As of today it looks like alot of clubs and comm ops ARE flying in a limited...
Forum: Soaring April 10th 20, 08:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By WB
Soaring Not Dead Everywhere

Viruses come in a variety of sizes and structural makeup. Some relatively large, some small. Some are chemically tough, some very delicate. Some can only stay viable in liquid and fall apart as they...
Forum: Soaring April 9th 20, 06:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By WB
Best option for electric self starting glider

https://evtol.com/news/lilium-evtol-catches-fire/

Paul Moller must be so proud! Founding Father of the whole VTOL scam industry. Moller is probably bummed that he didn't think of the electric...
Forum: Soaring April 4th 20, 07:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By WB
Seminole Lake Glider Port.

My club, Southern Eagles (Butler, Georgia, USA) got it’s start doing ground launch with an old LTD and a truck wheel pulley mounted to a trailer hitch. 4500 feet of dacron rope and a 5000’ runway...
Forum: Soaring March 29th 20, 05:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By WB
Much Ado About Nothing

301 Libelles sit high on their gear with the wings at a high angle. Takes relatively longer in the takeoff roll to get the tail up and the ailerons alive. Wing drops are an issue. My 301 is a little...