Search: Posts made by: Sean F (F2)
Forum: Soaring March 12th 14, 10:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sean F (F2)
National Records, why are there not two categories?

Why are there not handicaps on these records? For example, a 500km FAI triangle in flatland (east coast or midwest especially) is worth far more than 1200 km down the ridges or at 18k out west... ...
Forum: Soaring March 3rd 14, 02:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sean F (F2)
"I'm not afraid to die" - Wingsuit flight off Everest

better hope the innitial jump off the ledge goes absolutely perfect or its going to be a very short flight.......
Forum: Soaring March 2nd 14, 05:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sean F (F2)
Why no Sailplane Grand Prix in North America?

pretty sad... and very telling.
Forum: Soaring February 27th 14, 02:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sean F (F2)
Results¬*of¬*Flight¬*Performance¬*Determination¬*of¬*the¬*Lak‚Äź17a¬*FES

Thanks Dave.

All, here is a video on the FES performance testing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0twY9cWOUg

On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:50:27 AM UTC-5, Dave Leonard wrote:
On Wednesday,...
Forum: Soaring February 26th 14, 03:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sean F (F2)
Results¬*of¬*Flight¬*Performance¬*Determination¬*of¬*the¬*Lak‚Äź17a¬*FES

Herb,
Thanks for your opinion. Brilliant as usual.
Sean
Forum: Soaring February 26th 14, 03:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sean F (F2)
Results¬*of¬*Flight¬*Performance¬*Determination¬*of¬*the¬*Lak‚Äź17a¬*FES

Where can I find the contact info for the Handicap Commitee? I just looked on the SSA website and could not find anything. Did I miss it?
Forum: Soaring February 25th 14, 04:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sean F (F2)
Results¬*of¬*Flight¬*Performance¬*Determination¬*of¬*the¬*Lak‚Äź17a¬*FES

Rick,

My point is that there is no handicap penalty for "being a motor glider". The only factor that is measured in the handicap calculation is the additional weight of the motor equipment. The FES...
Forum: Soaring February 25th 14, 02:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sean F (F2)
Results¬*of¬*Flight¬*Performance¬*Determination¬*of¬*the¬*Lak‚Äź17a¬*FES

ill bet money that handicap is only based on weight differences.

HC, please describe how this handicap was calculated? was there any aerodynamic (see study) considerations? or is this handicap...
Forum: Soaring February 25th 14, 02:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sean F (F2)
Results¬*of¬*Flight¬*Performance¬*Determination¬*of¬*the¬*Lak‚Äź17a¬*FES

people. please stop trying to add a handicap PENALTY to a glider on the merits of it having a motor and folding propellers on the nose. nothing in the rules considers a motor as a performance...
Forum: Soaring February 25th 14, 02:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sean F (F2)
Results¬*of¬*Flight¬*Performance¬*Determination¬*of¬*the¬*Lak‚Äź17a¬*FES

just look at the current handicap boys and girls, which is equal for pure and FES. is that what it needs to be? you tell me HC.

god of soaring? wow, thanks? take a pill there pal. you'll feel...
Forum: Soaring February 24th 14, 09:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sean F (F2)
Results¬*of¬*Flight¬*Performance¬*Determination¬*of¬*the¬*Lak‚Äź17a¬*FES

Some guidance on the Lak17bFES contest results here (look at 18 meter overall middle of page):

http://www.wgc2012uvalde.us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=110&Itemid=7#18M

My...
Forum: Soaring February 24th 14, 09:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sean F (F2)
Results¬*of¬*Flight¬*Performance¬*Determination¬*of¬*the¬*Lak‚Äź17a¬*FES

I had no intention of skewing volunteers! Just trying to understand the process. Yes I am passionate about the Lak17b FES. I assumed (wrongly) that the HC was a more proactive body.

Social media...
Forum: Soaring February 24th 14, 06:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sean F (F2)
Results¬*of¬*Flight¬*Performance¬*Determination¬*of¬*the¬*Lak‚Äź17a¬*FES

My initial goal was to press home that the FES system (blades, etc) has a significant impact in aerodynamic performance (drag) over the exact same glider without FES I think that it is now clear...
Forum: Soaring February 24th 14, 03:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sean F (F2)
Results¬*of¬*Flight¬*Performance¬*Determination¬*of¬*the¬*Lak‚Äź17a¬*FES

Looks like 2-4% to me from the L/D diagrams. Very significant. Handicap committee?

Sean

On Monday, February 24, 2014 9:48:51 AM UTC-5, Renny wrote:
Based on some previous postings on the FES...
Forum: Soaring February 24th 14, 01:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sean F (F2)
Towplane-Baron accident

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2565858/3-killed-Georgia-plane-crash-aircraft-tried-avoid-hitting-glider.html

This story, with the BOLD headline, "3 killed in Georgia plane crash as aircraft...
Forum: Soaring February 24th 14, 12:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sean F (F2)
Towplane-Baron accident

Do we have someone at the SSA who is designated to deal with media & accidents? Perhaps we should?
Forum: Soaring February 23rd 14, 08:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sean F (F2)
New "Glider Flight Training and Safety" Page on Facebook by Tom Knauff

For those of you who use Facebook and have a passion for Gliding Safely, a new Facebook Page has been set up by Tom Knauff called Glider Flight Training and Safety.

The link is: ...
Forum: Soaring February 23rd 14, 07:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sean F (F2)
Towplane-Baron accident

I can see how this scenario has been presented by the media (per witness descriptions) but from what I have gathered, the Baron never got close enough to any other aircraft as to require such drastic...
Forum: Soaring February 23rd 14, 02:01 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sean F (F2)
Glider Crash Argentina

Article translation, not great but you'll get the idea:

The aircraft crashed to the ground around 17:50 hours on Sunday in a field located at the edge of the continued Palacios Avenue, about 3 miles...
Forum: Soaring February 23rd 14, 01:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sean F (F2)
Glider Crash Argentina

if you use google chrome, it will automatically give you an option to translate to english... ill cut and paste the translation here in a minute.