Search: Posts made by: Cookie
Forum: Soaring June 23rd 20, 12:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Cookie
Paint for white fiberglass trailer top

I used this stuff from Jamestown distributors...one part polyurethane.

http://www.totalboat.com/product/wet-edge/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8YKwus2W6gIVRpyzCh1BYw8xEAAYASAAEgKBqfD_BwE

Use their primer...
Forum: Soaring May 15th 20, 09:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Cookie
Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 8:25:22 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Has anyone investigated placing the tow hook directly over(or under) the tow planes center of gravity? This would keep the...
Forum: Soaring May 4th 20, 03:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Cookie
where in the usa can gliders be flown year round

On Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 4:30:56 PM UTC-4, ASM wrote:
Any idea where?

Blairstown NJ...some great wave flights in winter....dress warm
Forum: Soaring March 29th 20, 11:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Cookie
Clubs Still Flying List

NJ club (Aero Club Albatross)...we fly every winter...no "season" for us...it's always soaring season.

Tows available for club members...for solo flights with precautions...nobody needs to get close...
Forum: Soaring February 5th 20, 04:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Cookie
Looking for a parachute, wing stand and a one-man rigger

Yes, Home Depot....in the aviation department....glider wing stands...

I understand that some wood workers actually use these glider wing stands as an out-feed for a table saw...go figure...

Get a...
Forum: Soaring January 20th 20, 03:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Cookie
electric plugs

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/38630/Amphenol-ATM06-12SA-12-Way-ATM-Connector-Plug-/

Just one example of millions available on the "net"...jsut search!

Cookie
Forum: Soaring January 20th 20, 09:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Cookie
Lowest power tow

Yes, but you gotta add in the drag of the glider too. Out tow pilot would rather tow a G103 than a 2-33 !

Cookie

On Monday, January 20, 2020 at 3:01:59 AM UTC-5, Marton KSz wrote:
On the...
Forum: Soaring January 19th 20, 12:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Cookie
ballpark cost to install a towhook on a C182?

Check advisory circular 43.13. It shows Tost and Schweizer. Mentions STC or field approval.

Cessna has it's own Cessna part number for the Schweizer hook. So possible no STC req'd. Cessna also...
Forum: Soaring January 14th 20, 01:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Cookie
Instrument panel labeling

Eh....to each his own...not my cup of tea...I think directly lettered looks way more professional. In production of panels (for all kinds of stuff, like test equipment etc)...they use silk...
Forum: Soaring January 11th 20, 01:52 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Cookie
Instrument panel labeling

Yes, I sprayed a super light coat of clear "fixative". Plane has yet to fly, so not sure of how it holds up.....but many aircraft use this system.

Cookie

On Friday, January 10, 2020 at 2:58:13...
Forum: Soaring January 10th 20, 04:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Cookie
Instrument panel labeling

https://decalprofx.com/aircraft-panel-by-richard-funk-1.html

example of glider panel with this process
Forum: Soaring January 10th 20, 04:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Cookie
Instrument panel labeling

On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 9:26:27 PM UTC-5, wrote:

https://decalprofx.com/aircraft-panels.html

Check out the website above. Many photos of instrument panels done with...
Forum: Soaring December 10th 19, 05:58 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Cookie
Filling small holes in panel?

Well, it might make sense to wrap a glider when the glider is new...to protect the gel coat...before it crazes.

We have noticed that when we refinish a glider, that when we peel off the vinyl racing...
Forum: Soaring December 8th 19, 10:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Cookie
Filling small holes in panel?

On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 8:40:36 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, December 7, 2019 at 6:12:08 PM UTC-5, soaringjac wrote:

Using the aluminum brazing method, the panel...
Forum: Soaring December 8th 19, 09:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Cookie
Filling small holes in panel?

I just got word that "vinyl wrapping" has been approved in Europe for many makes and models of gliders.

To cover crazed gel coat...IMHO...not a good choice.

Two reasons. 1080 has an outdoor...
Forum: Soaring December 8th 19, 06:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Cookie
Filling small holes in panel?

aluminum brazing rod and propane torch. Did an old Grob Panel with many holes. Learning curve required. Can warp if not careful...may have to flatten out after.

When finished don't paint....grind...
Forum: Soaring September 10th 19, 02:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Cookie
How much does a lost aircraft logbook effect resale value?

why not just buy a glider WITH log books? Avoid the issue altogether.

With a no logbook glider...the first annual will be "interesting" as the inspector needs to somehow verify that all AD's have...
Forum: Soaring September 9th 19, 09:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Cookie
How much does a lost aircraft logbook effect resale value?

Look up "theory of the greater fool"

Glider without log books is a big problem for the owner.

If you buy this glider, the previous owner not only got rid of that big problem, but made his problem...
Forum: Soaring February 28th 19, 12:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Cookie
high tow vs low tow

What is the more controlling factor, is the tow plane is continuously climbing up and away from the wash. Leaving the wash behind if you will.

At say 60 knots, and 10 knots climb..that is a 1 in 6...
Forum: Soaring February 27th 19, 11:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Cookie
high tow vs low tow

So....I think you are bringing up a completely different issue now...the speed of the tow. If the problem is too slow of a tow....the solution is to get the tug to go faster...the solution is not...
Forum: Soaring February 27th 19, 11:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Cookie
high tow vs low tow

Yes!

Above the wake during a level (not climbing) tow, will place the glider quite a bit above the tow plane...not a good place to be...

Low tow during level tow, just barely below the wake will...
Forum: Soaring February 26th 19, 12:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Cookie
Tow rope musings - informal survey

We consider 200' tow rope as "normal". I make 'em about 220' to start, figuring we can cut down the glider end as it gets worn.

In practice, about when the glider end is looking worn, so is the...
Forum: Soaring February 26th 19, 12:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Cookie
Tow rope musings - informal survey

LOL!

Big beautiful (expensive) airport
Beautiful (expensive) glider
Beautiful (expensive) tow plane
Beautiful (expensive) ground crew
Cheapass rope

Ya gotta control costs somewhere!
Forum: Soaring February 25th 19, 04:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Cookie
high tow vs low tow

You make some very good arguments in favor of low tow....Does that mean you win the overall argument?...I dunno?..most glider ops in USA still use high tow. ( guess they have their reasons?)

My...
Forum: Soaring February 25th 19, 04:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Cookie
high tow vs low tow

Only one "freak" incident I saw where low tow may have caused an "issue"

Well actually it was a high tow gone bad...

It was a rough day...the glider pilot was seemingly attempting to fly "high"...