Search: Posts made by: RST Engineering
Forum: Piloting April 15th 09, 11:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By RST Engineering
What's the bi-annual flight review all about?

If, by the time we get to the airplane, (s)he hasn't asked me how much
my wife weighs, then I know (s)he hasn't done a weight and balance.

Woah right there big feller. That's not a valid...
Forum: Piloting April 15th 09, 05:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By RST Engineering
What's the bi-annual flight review all about?

I have a particular way I like to do it. Then again, I lay awake at night
wondering whether anal-retentive is hyphenated or not.

I tell the pilot to pretend he and his significant other and me and...
Forum: Piloting April 15th 09, 04:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By RST Engineering
What's the bi-annual flight review all about?

When marriage is outlawed, only outlaws will have inlaws.

Ti's bienial, and it's every two years.

It is spelled "biennial" and has...
Forum: Piloting April 12th 09, 03:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By RST Engineering
Thanks to all -- the last aviation theme suite is finally DONE

Someone who has not the foggiest idea of the concept of "snip" is not to be
given credence when criticizing anything.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a...
Forum: Owning April 8th 09, 12:09 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning

The specific exemption in part 43 is for TROUBLESHOOTING a landing light
circuit, not adding a part to it.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without...
Posted By RST Engineering
Installing a landing light blinker in an Archer

The OP was talking about a current limiting resistor for an LED panel light.
A quarter watt resistor is overkill. Understand what is being discussed.
Google RETMA values if you must.

Jim

--
"It...
Forum: Owning April 7th 09, 04:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By RST Engineering
Installing a landing light blinker in an Archer

Minor modifications as delineated in FAR part 43 can be accomplished with a
logbook entry by an airframe mechanic. Parts for a person's own aircraft
may be personally fabricated in accordance with...
Forum: Owning April 6th 09, 03:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By RST Engineering
Installing a landing light blinker in an Archer

..
If you added 500 ohm resistors to the circuit you've done something no other
human being has done since RETMA took charge of component values prior to
WWII. 470 or 510 maybe?

Jim

The one...
Forum: Owning April 5th 09, 06:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By RST Engineering
Stinson 108-2 Inspection

Are there any mechs on here that I can pick your brain offline about Stinson
inspections?

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought...
Forum: Home Built April 4th 09, 08:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Jerry ...

I don't think that is going to be it. If the Grover diode is in parallel
with the input, yes, it will have blown the fuse and probably trashed itself
in the process. However, if that...
Forum: Home Built March 31st 09, 04:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By RST Engineering
Badwater Bill's Memorial Service

How about a postflight briefing on the Saturday night gig?

Jim
Forum: Home Built March 29th 09, 06:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By RST Engineering
Badwater Bill's Memorial Service

Did Maniac change names and move over to this ng?

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."
Posted By RST Engineering
Badwater Bill's Memorial Service

Will one or more of you privileged few take pictures and post them (Honeck's
site?) so that those of us prevented from hoisting in person can do so
vicariously?

Thanks,

Jim

--
"It is the mark...
Forum: Home Built March 17th 09, 04:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Ever run across a CPO Hal Mitchell at either San Diego or Yokosuka? His
forte was cryptology and was my father in law. Retired to Paradise Hills
(National CIty) and passed away about fifteen...
Forum: Owning March 15th 09, 04:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By RST Engineering
Anyone installed a landing light flasher?

Mike ... I've got some work that is going to keep me out of commission for
about a week. I haven't gotten your SASE yet and I'm about to start that
week. Don't think I've forgotten about...
Forum: Owning March 11th 09, 04:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By RST Engineering
Anyone installed a landing light flasher?

I see no good deed goes unpunished around here.

{;-)

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."
--Aristotle
Forum: Owning March 11th 09, 01:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By RST Engineering
Anyone installed a landing light flasher?

www.rstengineering.com and then to "Contact Us".

www.rstengineering.com/kitplanes has the construction details and schematic
in one of the articles on this page.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an...
Forum: Owning March 10th 09, 08:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By RST Engineering
Anyone installed a landing light flasher?

We wrote up one in a Kitplanes article several years ago. We also (as I
vaguely remember) offered to sell the parts for our cost ($15 or so), kitted
up a dozen of them, but didn't get any takers. ...
Forum: Piloting March 5th 09, 06:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By RST Engineering
SMO MYF

It isn't called the May Gray and the June Gloom for no good reason.

Jim

an instrument plan. You won't be able to get out of SMO without being
on one, unless you wait until midday. Some days...
Forum: Home Built February 19th 09, 07:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By RST Engineering
Antennas

wrote in message

It's antenna-decision-time for my Europa kitplane; though I purchased
a couple...
Forum: Home Built February 19th 09, 04:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By RST Engineering
"Secret" Overvoltage Protection?

Who is asking?

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."
--Aristotle

Forum: Home Built February 17th 09, 02:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By RST Engineering
"Secret" Overvoltage Protection?

Dan et al ...

The "tiny fuse" you refer to is actually a single fuse mounted as close as
possible to the battery box. AIVR, you can have either 3 or 5 amps directly
from the battery (i.e. a 3 or...
Forum: Home Built February 16th 09, 05:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By RST Engineering
Aviation Sheetmetal Work

What would be wrong with a new insecticide hand-pump sprayer? Most all home
improvement stores carry them in the garden section.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to...
Forum: Home Built February 14th 09, 05:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Say what?

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."
--Aristotle
Forum: Home Built February 13th 09, 08:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By RST Engineering
Narco Nav/Com

If you are talking about the one at the top left of the panel, it is an
Escort 110, Narco's answer to the Genave A-200 which at the time (1970 or
so) was setting the small aircraft radio market on...