Search: Posts made by: BobW
Forum: Soaring May 5th 18, 05:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Soaring not compatible with modern society?

On 5/4/2018 11:35 PM, John Foster wrote:
snip...
The problem with modern society is a lack of, or aversion to personal
responsibility... So much of life these days is so protected in a
shell,...
Forum: Soaring May 5th 18, 05:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Soaring not compatible with modern society?

On Monday, 25 Sep, 1978, a B-727 crashed in San Diego following a collision
with a Cessna 172. To my knowledge 172s are still flying.

No one is listening to our "safety blather", but the...
Forum: Soaring April 30th 18, 05:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Attitudes & Reality

A post from another thread is timely - this being the start of the most active
part of the U.S. soaring season. Excerpted from another thread:

Beginning of Excerpt...

"There's a personality type...
Forum: Soaring April 16th 18, 05:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
EASA AD on SZD-55-1 "ATA 27 – Flight Controls – Elevator Control System / Vertical Tail – Inspection" Issued

FWIW, this may be one of those situations when "It goes without saying,"
doesn't, so...

A positive control check isn't - or shouldn't be - "merely a control
resistance" check; it's (easily - and...
Forum: Soaring April 12th 18, 05:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
SGU 2-22

On 4/11/2018 2:46 PM, Joe Rizzo wrote:
Good to know, thanks. Just possibly looking for something fun for my home
airport.

"What Tony C. and Neal P. said," regarding 2-22 vs. 2-33 handling. Way...
Forum: Soaring April 6th 18, 02:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Proposed SZD-55 EASA AD now out for comment - "Flight Controls – Elevator Control System / Vertical Tail – Inspection"

And the ad hominem pioneer of this thread? C'mon spring!!!

Bob W.

---
http://www.avg.com
Forum: Soaring March 23rd 18, 11:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
The inadvisability of charging LiFePO4 batteries below 32F/0C(aka below freezing)

On 3/23/2018 5:35 PM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
I have no idea why is was "bad". I just knew that every time I took glider
out of box fuse was melted. We checked the trailer top solar chargers...
Forum: Soaring February 12th 18, 05:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
RIP Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube)

I wonder if anyone has addressed the "convenience" factor, and
if it might have been a player. I looked at the report and
screen grab pictures, so given the headwind and enormous size
of the...
Forum: Soaring February 12th 18, 04:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
New pilot looking for glider to purchase.

I agree with everyone who suggests the trailer is as important as the
glider. Easy rigging and transport is paramount! Most will steer you
away from a glider that has only flaps. I would...
Forum: Soaring February 10th 18, 03:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Hard Deck

What am I missing? Are (arguably, often-casually
read/absorbed/understood by non-podium-contenders) contest rules
*seriously* considered a more powerful influence on pilot behavior than
Forum: Soaring February 9th 18, 05:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Hard Deck

But my main problem is the "heading out over sketchy areas" and has little
to do with 500' saves. I've seen it many times and this is the worry
expressed by my non-racing pilot friends. A rule...
Forum: Soaring January 29th 18, 08:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Hard Deck

Thanks, it was time to start a proper threa[d]. Let me put out a concrete
proposal so we know what we're talking about.

The purpose of the hard deck is not to prevent bad behavior. The...
Forum: Soaring January 22nd 18, 09:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

On 1/22/2018 11:50 AM, krasw wrote:
So far work for improving safety in WGC events has realized in endless
safety briefings before each competition day. Same chant goes on forever,
"look...
Forum: Soaring January 10th 18, 08:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Short cuts

On 1/10/2018 12:35 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 1:10:09 PM UTC-5,
wrote:
Snip...

This very issue [motorgliders] was discussed in...
Forum: Home Built December 26th 17, 02:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By BobW
Real canard building costs, Long vs Berkut

On 12/25/2017 1:03 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, May 11, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, John O'Farrell wrote:
Snip...
John O'Farrell

Is this John O'Farrell of S.J.S.U? I'm...
Forum: Soaring December 24th 17, 07:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Death of the 13.5m class?

For the 2019 13.5m WGC, all gliders participating will be required to have electric motors and be capable of self launching. Potentially being allowed to use some of the electric energy in flight...
Forum: Soaring December 23rd 17, 05:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
E-Concept

We already used stored energy. Are you saying there are types you like and
types you don't?

FAI have introduced "E-Concept" to the sport of Gliding. Most of the
details are yet to be...
Forum: Soaring December 21st 17, 04:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
How does sun heat the air?

On 12/20/2017 6:24 PM, Michael Opitz wrote:
At 17:42 20 December 2017, wrote:

Flying downwind of the Adirondacks also produces bafflingly
complex "wave" phenomena and...
Forum: Soaring December 10th 17, 02:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Akaflieg Karlsruhe AK-X

On 12/9/2017 6:38 PM, Michael Opitz wrote:
I hope these students design and build a contest viable swept wing
sailplane.

Lets hope that, unlike the Horten gliders and their earlier...
Forum: Soaring December 9th 17, 03:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Minimum field size.

On 12/8/2017 10:57 PM, FZ wrote:
I'm driving past the nice grass field. Looks big, but it is surrounded on
all sides by the 80 ft high trees. What should be a minimum length of this
field, for...
Forum: Soaring November 30th 17, 05:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Max Weight of Non Lift Producing Components

On 11/30/2017 9:53 AM, Kevin Neave wrote:
So what does the main pin(s) count as?

KN

At 16:07 30 November 2017, Tony wrote:
We weighed everything together and then the wings. Felt that...
Forum: Soaring November 23rd 17, 02:26 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Best Path to Race

Flaps are also a big safety benefit in outlandings? Std Class ships come
in comparatively much hotter?

Really? 44 contests flying a Discus and not a scratch. 5 retrieves with
tail booms...
Forum: Soaring November 7th 17, 03:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
The US Team selection process in future years

On 11/6/2017 10:47 PM, Michael Opitz wrote:
At 18:21 06 November 2017, John Cochrane wrote:
The really interesting thing about this year's team selection is
not that one pilot wanted to go in...
Forum: Soaring November 4th 17, 01:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Train Wreck

Somewhat cropped for the sake of discussion...
The whole reason the US team committee undertook the huge effort is exactly
experience with the "objective" system... snip...
...We prized...
Forum: Soaring November 3rd 17, 05:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Train Wreck

I posted before I read Steve's and Tim's recent contributions. Hear, hear.
Santayana's words had occurred to me, too.
And to me as well, as noted previously not a contest pilot but merely an...