Forum: Soaring February 18th 20, 01:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mecaplex canopy window lube

I dip a Q-tip in canopy cleaner fluid and run it all around the tracks, then open and close the window several times.
Repeat as necessary. If it used to be free, then is got crud on the sides of the...
Forum: Soaring February 17th 20, 06:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looking for help with French trailer documents (contact information)

1. Remove any/all serial numbers.
2. Go to DMV and tell them you assembled a bunch of parts from a junkyard.
Forum: Soaring February 13th 20, 11:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Electronic TE compensation, will this work?

I have a triple probe mount that was removed from a G-103, picture available..........but I don’t know how to post it?
JJ
Forum: Soaring February 11th 20, 03:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glider canopy

Oops, forgot somethings........ slip 1/16” shims between canopy rail and fuselage, front and rear, then close and lock frame to fuselage! This gives the needed thermal range 0 to 100+F. I like to...
Forum: Soaring February 11th 20, 02:52 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glider canopy

Depends on how much material needs to be removed? If 1/4” or less needs to be removed, I use a 6” rotary hand sander with 60 grit disc.. If more material needs to be removed, I use a 3” carbide...
Forum: Soaring January 21st 20, 03:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider repair health issues?

Not to worry Heinz’e, it’ll take more than epoxy stink and fiberglass dust to due in a U-2 Pilot!
Still remember you doing a max rate turn over Truckee in the bird, your contrails looked to be...
Forum: Soaring January 19th 20, 08:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Reconstructing Maintenance Logbooks

This was covered in A&P school, AI needs to certify all applicable AD’s have been accomplished, accomplish annual inspection and make log entry stating original log book lost, estimated Total Time...
Forum: Soaring January 17th 20, 07:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider repair health issues?

UH...........I was 5th until the leader charged out to Beckworth and landed there! Seven pilots moved up! I’m happy with 4th out of 19! Stopped charging 20 years ago and found things much more...
Forum: Soaring January 15th 20, 03:01 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Do you have to record a TN in the aircraft logbook ?

The guy that did the TN should sign it off in the log book! Your annual inspection authority will double heck if he has any questions. I have signed off a TN on the Duster before I was an A&P with my...
Forum: Soaring January 14th 20, 10:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Do you have to record a TN in the aircraft logbook ?

Short answer..........Yes. Why wouldn’t you record a factory ordered TN? If it required specialized work, then the fellow who did the work should put it in the logs. Many TN’s end up as...
Forum: Soaring January 14th 20, 10:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider repair health issues?

I have worked with fiberglass grinding dust and harsh chemicals like acrylic Urethane, lacquer thinner, etc. for the past 44 years, so I faked a chronic cough in order to get a CT scan. Just met...
Forum: Soaring January 14th 20, 05:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Winter Gliding

John Jr. and I had flown several very enjoyable slope soaring flights out of Stead (former AFB) north of Reno, on Peterson ridge (about 10 miles west).. After the Stead glider operation closed, we...
Forum: Soaring January 13th 20, 07:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Winter Gliding

The rain had stopped earlier in the day, but it left a solid cloud deck at about 1000 feet. The tow pilot and ride pilot were sitting in front of the heater, swapping lies when a paying customer...
Forum: Soaring January 1st 20, 07:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Happy New Year

Correction #2...............from Celestial Center.......We celebrated New Years 18 hours Early!
🤥 JJ
Forum: Soaring January 1st 20, 07:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Happy New Year

Correction........ This just in from Nit-Pickers Central..........We celebrated the New Year, 3 minutes Early, but we’ll be dead on next year!
🤪 JJ
Forum: Soaring January 1st 20, 07:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Happy New Year

May your gelcoat never craze, your Mylar never separate and your life be free of nit-pickers!
Hoppy New Year, even though we celebrated it :60 seconds early!
Pat & JJ Sinclair
Forum: Soaring December 29th 19, 08:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Site ideas for a big Western US soaring trip next season

I’d plan my trip to be at Air Sailing Sports Contest, July 12-17. We always seem to have the best conditions I have encountered, year after Year! Great group that includes hard-chargers and...
Forum: Soaring December 28th 19, 03:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FAI ratifies records of illegal flights.

I just remembered a classic nit-picker yarn. Sergio Colacevich figured out a way to get all three Diamonds in one flight by declared Death Valley and return from Truckee. That covered Diamond...
Forum: Soaring December 27th 19, 05:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FAI ratifies records of illegal flights.

1/8th of a mile? A sectional will shrink more than that by folding and unfolding it! If you’d have ironed the map, bet the 1/8th mile would miraculously reappear?

I remember Marcel Goudinat, I...
Forum: Soaring December 25th 19, 07:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FAI ratifies records of illegal flights.

Are we talking about a few seconds, here?
I flew the longest legal triangle out of Minden, a few years back. At my first turn (Mine near Owens Lake), was on the line of the correct observation zone,...
Forum: Soaring December 23rd 19, 08:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ventus 2b vs ASW27b ..Which is the better / nicer aircraft?

The 7 is standard class, so it’ll give it up to flapped ship above 70 knots. BTW, my old LS-6 will be on the market soon and it’s recently been refinished in AU.........,she’s been busted, but...
Forum: Soaring December 23rd 19, 05:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ventus 2b vs ASW27b ..Which is the better / nicer aircraft?

Nick,
Condition of the gelcoat is the ‘elephant in the room’ for most all ships offered. Paying 60K for 20 year old finish is questionable. My old LS-7 is up for sale and I have it on good report...
Forum: Soaring December 20th 19, 04:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Electric Variometer reading backwards

I’d look for a restrictor in your pneumatic lines, they were used to slow down overactive various back in the day before we got good total energy probes. Another issue could be 3 various sharing...
Forum: Soaring December 19th 19, 03:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LS-3A Parts Needed

After an accident people assume the ship is totaled and are capable of doing some incredibly stupid things. We got a Cirrus that someone had hack-sawed the aileron push-rod into, right next to quick...
Forum: Soaring December 18th 19, 10:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LS-3A Parts Needed

We made one out of two, a few years back.........believe we still have most cockpit controls, some gear parts, etc Email me exact requirements and I’ll take a look in the barn. ............any/all...