Search: Posts made by: Jonathan St. Cloud
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 07:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Hero emulation

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 8:19:04 AM UTC-8, Bruce Hoult wrote:
How many touch-and-goes?

I don't see much difference between them in terms of an intention to land..

Many many, in...
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 04:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
ClearVav vs. LXNav

I wish on the LXNav, one could switch from the high def maps to a sectional and back just by moving to another screen, and not having to go to map settings to do so. It is for this reason I fly with...
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 02:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Hero emulation

I am a multi-engine instrument rated pilot and the only time I have done misses is during a missed instrument approach.

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 12:52:46 AM UTC-8, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On...
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 07:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Hero emulation

On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 9:08:29 PM UTC-8, Tom wrote:
Oh, I forgot - there is a good argument that a low pass is not legal. That whole minimum altitude over "a congested area but “not for...
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 02:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
ClearVav vs. LXNav

On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 5:09:39 PM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
JS wrote on 2/22/2018 1:56 PM:
Having flown with a CN and stick controller for a number of years, going back to touch...
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 12:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Hero emulation

In my case I had not seen that type of sink where I found it on my pull. I had a hangar in Minden for years and flew out of there. The only time I had an issue was that one day. I also lost 1500...
Forum: Soaring February 23rd 18, 09:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Minimum number of flights for winch sign off?

With all due respect Sally, I submit your conclusion is not statistically valid nor is your method of analysis. Sorry, the engineer in me sometimes comes out.

Just by the data you suggest, winch...
Forum: Soaring February 23rd 18, 08:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Hero emulation

On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 8:10:12 AM UTC-8, son_of_flubber wrote:

This reminds me of the millions of people that have found out the hard way; that having intercourse may result in...
Forum: Soaring February 23rd 18, 04:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Hero emulation

On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 2:06:50 PM UTC-8, Tom wrote:
Can I just ask a basic question here - what is the purpose of the "low pass" and how does it further or add to the flight?

Forum: Soaring February 23rd 18, 02:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Hero emulation

In Minden it is a great way to see where the down part of the wave has set up.

On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 2:06:50 PM UTC-8, Tom wrote:
Can I just ask a basic question here - what is the...
Forum: Soaring February 22nd 18, 07:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
ClearVav vs. LXNav

I am of the opinion that a well designed stick controller is more valuable than touch screen. I fly with an LX and can operate computer and the associated vario from stick alone.

On Thursday,...
Forum: Soaring February 20th 18, 01:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
2018 - AN EXCITING YEAR

Learning on the bunny hill is normal before moving to triple black diamonds. If you start on the diamonds you will learn much slower, and the instructor pilot will have to intervene much earlier...
Forum: Soaring February 19th 18, 06:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
2018 - AN EXCITING YEAR

Glass two seater, i.e., Nimbus 4D and ASH-25 is the most fun I have had flying gliders. Highly recommend it. However, if you are teaching, a higher drag aircraft does not build speed as fast as a...
Forum: Soaring February 19th 18, 05:01 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
2018 - AN EXCITING YEAR

I fly commercial rides Sundays at my local glider port. This glider operation is now pretty much being run by the second generation, i.e., very experienced operation. They have G-103 and 2-33's. I...
Forum: Soaring February 13th 18, 05:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

Interesting, as in sailing we have kevlar sails, but spectra lines.

On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 8:40:38 PM UTC-8, WB wrote:
On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 10:07:11 PM UTC-6, Jonathan St....
Forum: Soaring February 13th 18, 05:07 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

No, and spectra is way too expensive to use for deck lids, fenders... It is in a lay up.
On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 5:44:57 PM UTC-8, Tony wrote:
You mean the tethers that keep deck lids,...
Forum: Soaring February 13th 18, 01:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

Race cars use spectra as part of the crash protection structure. Wonder why gliders have not copied from race cars?
Forum: Soaring February 12th 18, 04:07 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 5:16:28 PM UTC-8, WB wrote:
Can’t believe no one has suggested a robotic trailer that rigs/derigs for you.

I love it. Tesla has an automatic cable that pugs into...
Forum: Soaring February 12th 18, 03:58 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Trig TT21 + TN72 TABS ADS-B Out Install working great....

Great, now if we could get something like that for GPS. I have 3 GPS's now without ADS-B in out or sideways. Flarm, LX and Butterfly.

On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 6:20:41 PM UTC-8, Richard...
Forum: Soaring February 11th 18, 04:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

I would like the canopy to be a HUD. Traffic marked by green yellow or red triangles depending on range and threat level. Vario, Air Mass (blue dot for Butterfly users), airspeed altitude, task...
Forum: Soaring February 10th 18, 07:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

The Nexus is being built with fly by wire and automatic flaps. As was pointed out above the SB-11 won the 1978 WGC, and that was a very radical design. Let imaginations run.

I would love automatic...
Forum: Soaring February 10th 18, 06:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
RIP Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube)

Several weeks ago I was downwind of a mountain range in strong wind when I encountered rotor at 1400 ft AGL. Since I was flying a ride, thought I would get out of rotor, and immediately turned...
Forum: Soaring February 10th 18, 06:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

Maybe a bit of inspiration would help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_kfM-BmVzQ

Jonkers, S-H and Dianna have all come out with new designs. There is another manufacturer rumored to to working...
Forum: Soaring February 10th 18, 03:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

Why has that technology not been used in other gliders?

On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 5:57:15 PM UTC-8, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 1:31:46 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud...