Search: Posts made by: SF
Forum: Soaring January 22nd 21, 01:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By SF
rucsoundings.noaa.gov unresponsive last couple days?

On Friday, January 22, 2021 at 7:47:08 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Anyone else having this problem?
Yep, picked up a note something about high usage noticed on Friday. Currently nothing...
Forum: Soaring June 25th 20, 06:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By SF
LS4 Canopy Strut

This guy can make one for you.

Gemini Gas Springs Inc.
Henk Blok
PO BOX 1023
1- 6276 Pleasant Valley Road
Vernon, BC V1T 6N2
Phone: (778) 475-5611
Mobile:
E-Mail:
Forum: Soaring May 30th 20, 03:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By SF
K2 battery endurance

One of my early K2's experienced a cell failure which dropped that battery's voltage output and lowered it's capacity. I run two batteries in parallel and had an experience like yours. Individual...
Forum: Soaring October 8th 19, 01:26 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By SF
Wanted: Expereienced Flight Aerodynamicists for Winch Launch Investigation

If you need a plan B. Instrument the cable with a tension logger. Instrument the winch with throttle position indicator, cable angle & Drum RPM. Take it to a winch clinic. Compare the graphs of...
Forum: Soaring October 5th 19, 02:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By SF
Wanted: Expereienced Flight Aerodynamicists for Winch Launch Investigation

You might have better luck searching fo someone that is looking for a doctoral thesis subject at one of the aeronautical schools.
Forum: Soaring September 3rd 19, 12:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By SF
Purchase of glider from Canada

Canadian funds, drawn from a Canadian bank. Not a cashiers check from a us bank
Forum: Soaring September 2nd 19, 03:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By SF
Purchase of glider from Canada

It's been a few years but I remember the process as being fairly easy, after you understand it. The aircraft part is fairly straightforward.

The Trailer is a bit tricky. Get a separate bill of...
Forum: Soaring April 5th 19, 03:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By SF
Life insurance for glider pilots

We were applying for new Key Man life insurance a few years ago.
The first form asked if I was a pilot.
A few weeks later...The second form asked what kind of pilot I was, and some basic...
Forum: Soaring April 1st 19, 01:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By SF
NEXTEL paint

we flat black anodized Grob Aluminum panels and they came out great, and not too expensive.

SF
Forum: Soaring March 19th 19, 09:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By SF
Battery safety (againish)

I cut one of my K2 batteries open, after one of the cells in it failed. There's not a lot of space available in there for foam, or drill bits.

-nick one of the cells with a drill and it's going...
Forum: Soaring January 2nd 19, 11:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By SF
Post Curing Composites

I've spent a lot of my career either heating things up or trying to cool them off. Go with a low watt density heater, not anything that glows red. Maybe a milk house heater on low, at 60C you will...
Forum: Soaring November 8th 18, 01:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By SF
ASW 27 Instrument Panel Texture

Swirl paint it like they do guitars. Defy convention.
Forum: Soaring November 8th 18, 01:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By SF
Canopy free soaring

Bugs in your teeth, all that wind will mess up your hair and blow off your sunglasses. On the up side, one less item on the bail out list.
Forum: Soaring November 5th 18, 11:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By SF
ASW 27 Instrument Panel Texture

The factory panels arrive painted. Make a test panel out of lexan first. Then cut the factory panel after you verify the fits and locations. Practice on something you can throw out without tears.
Forum: Soaring October 19th 18, 12:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By SF
How does an aerotow rope break in two places?

Its usually the simplest explanation that's correct. While I love the stress propagation delay theory for it's intellectual elegance, my money is on the towpilot snagged it on something.

SF
Forum: Soaring October 16th 18, 12:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By SF
Towrope tensions....Part II

4,000 lbs or 50% of the yield strength of something you dont want pulled apart.
SF
Forum: Soaring October 16th 18, 12:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By SF
Towrope tensions....Part II

1.5 to 2 x's the weak link strength for the attachment point. Someone at Tost could tell you the shear strength of their mounting kit bolts. It depends on what you want to fail first. Pull apart...
Forum: Soaring October 12th 18, 10:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By SF
CAD drawing DG-100/101 instrument panel

Trace the existing panel on drawing paper. Scan it, import it cad. Trace over the top of it. Scale it to size.
Forum: Soaring September 7th 18, 12:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By SF
Cobra Trailer Jam-nuts (loose)

We Manufacture and ship large skidded Pump & piping systems with a couple hundred flange bolts on each one. All tight, with a successful hydrotest to prove it. Every now and then the combination of...
Forum: Soaring September 7th 18, 12:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By SF
Electric Winch Project

I know battery powered winches benefiting from the automotive boom in motors and batteries is our future. But there's nothing like a big block engine roaring through a pair of open bog headers to...
Forum: Soaring July 16th 18, 02:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By SF
Experimental Letter

It's a program letter, and it goes to the "line Manager" at your local FSDO.. I would call your local FSDO ask to speak with the line manager, and get him to tell you, want he wants to see from you....
Forum: Soaring July 16th 18, 02:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By SF
Which ClearNav vario display?

I fly with both displays, I feel that each one does a better job of communicating certain information than the other display. If you can only fit in one, use the square display. The user interface...
Forum: Soaring July 16th 18, 02:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By SF
Ray Galloway (P1)

I had the pleasure of working with Ray as his weatherman at Perry for several years. A true gentleman, with a wicked keen dry sense of humor. I'm a better person for having known, and worked with...
Forum: Soaring June 22nd 18, 12:12 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By SF
A complicated question about LiFePO4 batteries, - and switching.

I started off with two K2'S I charged RIPthem in parallel, discharged them in parallel. No issues. Then one of the cells died in one of the batteries. Ran them in parallel on the test rig current...
Forum: Soaring June 13th 18, 04:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By SF
Safety against commercial pressure?

We generally stop rides anytime conditions are marginal. There is no up side to giving a "thrill" ride to some one that's going to get sick, scared or uncomfortable during the ride.