Search: Posts made by: Dan Marotta
Forum: Soaring Today, 03:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

Your OLC (or FAI for that matter) flight ends when you start the engine
so the only advantage is that of not having to wait for a trailer. I
recall a flight in a friend's ASW-24E where I flew far...
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 12:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Do Purist Exhibit Higher Testosterone Levels ?

Ah, Bob... Come to Moriarty and I'll show you how to fly a "real" motor
glider. You'll be so enthralled that you'll stock my hangar fridge with
the local brew for the duration of your...
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 12:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Do Purist Exhibit Higher Testosterone Levels ?

No, bob. It's credit score and bank balance. The same things that
attract hot chicks to rich guys attract them to motor gliders.

Dan
5J

On 4/9/21 3:01 PM, wrote:
One of...
Forum: Soaring April 9th 21, 07:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Transition from iOS to Windows PC

I would be very leery of a really cheap PC. I bought a $150 Dell
Inspiron 3180 and immediately regretted it. It comes with 32 GB of eMMC
(half of which is reserved as a recovery drive) in place...
Forum: Soaring April 9th 21, 06:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
new SSA web site

Any body tried Brave yet? I"m not gonna install Firefox just to track
gliders.

Dan
5J

On 4/8/21 11:05 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 6:29:16 PM UTC-7,...
Forum: Soaring April 8th 21, 07:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Transition from iOS to Windows PC

Probably talking the same thing but, during my very short time with an
iMac, while switching it to Linux I learned of something caled "Boot
Camp" which is a way of creating a Windows system on your...
Forum: Soaring April 8th 21, 03:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
new SSA web site

Thanks for trying, Martin, but that's way over my head. I'm a new user
of Linux (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, about 3-4 months), and I've been using
Thunderbird for several years. I looked at installing...
Forum: Soaring April 7th 21, 10:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
new SSA web site

I've been using the Brave browser for the past 3-4 months. I just
opened a new tab and was told that 65,786 trackers and ads have been
blocked. I still get a lot of spam; how it gets past my spam...
Forum: Soaring April 7th 21, 09:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Vc gear fixed!

Moriarty... Isn't that where the tooth brush was invented?

Dan
5J

On 4/7/21 12:37 PM, Mark Mocho wrote:

Next time on the ice , will try that; this must be the root of the word...
Forum: Soaring April 7th 21, 05:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
new SSA web site

WOW!!!

I just looked at ssa.org and my head is spinning! I guess you gotta be
a teenager with a cell phone grafted to your arm to appreciate that.

I tried "Member Locator" under "News" and didn't...
Forum: Soaring April 7th 21, 03:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
new SSA web site

PM sent.

Dan
5J

On 4/6/21 4:33 PM, Scott Williams wrote:
On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 12:02:59 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
What Moshe said. ...And I haven't even looked at it (I'm...
Forum: Soaring April 6th 21, 06:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Gliding in Portugal?

And don't forget, in an EU country you'll need a medical certificate
(not needed for gliding in the USA).

Dan
5J

On 4/6/21 7:04 AM, Matthew Scutter wrote:
On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 9:57:08 PM...
Forum: Soaring April 6th 21, 06:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
new SSA web site

What Moshe said. ...And I haven't even looked at it (I'm afraid...)

Dan
5J

On 4/6/21 7:01 AM, Moshe Braner wrote:
On 4/6/2021 1:18 AM, Eric Bick (DY) wrote:
Try this:
*From the new SSA...
Forum: Soaring April 2nd 21, 10:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
new SSA web site

Hahahahhahahahaaaaaaaaaaa...

Dan
5J

On 4/1/21 6:48 PM, GeneReinecke wrote:
or even OLC!
Forum: Soaring April 1st 21, 08:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
new SSA web site

What is it they say, "Getting there is half the fun!"

Dan
5J

On 4/1/21 1:12 PM, Moshe Braner wrote:
On 4/1/2021 2:51 PM, noel.wade wrote:
Wait, am I reading the latest SSA email correctly? We...
Forum: Soaring April 1st 21, 06:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
new SSA web site

APRIL FOOLS

Since you mentioned Captcha, I may never go back to the SSA website. If
that's the price of entry, I may resign.

Dan
5J

On 3/31/21 1:22 PM, Moshe Braner wrote:
The "new web site"...
Forum: Soaring April 1st 21, 06:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
I Need To Know

I would agree with Bob that it is a safari to those who travel to get
there. Not for Bob.

Eric, you'll be on safari when you come to Moriarty.

But my best safari memories are of when my partner...
Forum: Soaring April 1st 21, 05:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
$1 billion BMS Ooops...

Well Charlie,

Since you're a fan of "The Martian" (one of my all-time favorites, BTW),
can you explain to me why JPL had him cut a hole in the top of the rover
and place an inflated balloon in...
Forum: Soaring April 1st 21, 05:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
$1 billion BMS Ooops...

What a neat idea! But all of the stacked cells would make your cell
phone weitg on the order of 37 pounds... And the required lead
shielding would another 213 pounds. So you'd need a new Tesla...
Forum: Soaring March 31st 21, 03:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Trailer tow from Texas to California

Hi Jacques,

If you have the computer savvy, you can create an account in your email
client to read this newsgroup. First open a free account with
https://www.eternal-september.org, then have your...
Forum: Soaring March 31st 21, 03:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
I Need To Know

Lennie the Lurker, perhaps? Naaah...

Dan
5J

On 3/31/21 7:51 AM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
wrote on 3/30/2021 8:12 PM:
On Tuesday, March 30, 2021 at 2:41:59 PM UTC-7,...
Forum: Soaring March 31st 21, 02:06 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
I Need To Know

Is he posting again? I've got Thunderbird set up to ignore anything
from him.

Dan
5J

On 3/30/21 5:20 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, March 30, 2021 at 7:13:38 PM UTC-4, Mark Mocho...
Forum: Soaring March 30th 21, 07:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
The decline of gliding - a worldwide issue?

As a former USAF E-5, O-3, and pilot, I simply took issue with your lame
comments. No nerves hit.

I've no doubt that any of the USAFA grads who happened to participate in
the gliding program...
Forum: Soaring March 30th 21, 05:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
The decline of gliding - a worldwide issue?

Somebody needs to take a chill pill...

Dan
5J

On 3/30/21 9:57 AM, biff the dotard wrote:
On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 6:43:13 PM UTC-6, Walt Connelly wrote:

I've only known a couple of ring...
Forum: Soaring March 30th 21, 02:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Trailer tow from Texas to California

Don't let life slip away. Make the time! I wish I'd thought of that
when I picked up my LS-6a in Chicago back in around '92...

Dan
5J

On 3/29/21 8:12 PM, Jacques de Rham wrote:
e lowest quote...