Forum: Soaring February 18th 19, 01:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ventus 2 undercarriage?

I put a door stop with a tether on mine.

Simple seems good.
Forum: Soaring February 11th 19, 02:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Problem with Grob-103

Between the speedup and pitchdown, there's a growling noise.
Don't think it was the pilot.

I've heard vibrating mylars, but this pitch is too low.
Maybe a bi-stable one?

I wonder if you could get...
Forum: Soaring February 4th 19, 03:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Starts Procedures ; Proposal

Spreading folks out seems good and the Belgian rule is interesting. If you are leaching under this rule, then would you just stick with your host as best you could before the start? If this...
Forum: Soaring January 20th 19, 01:23 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HPH Glasflugel 304eS FES battery fire

Good read, it says the guy may have dropped the pack but it seemed ok.

"A survey of other FES batteries from the in-service fleet revealed the presence of metallic debris in a significant proportion...
Forum: Soaring December 27th 18, 04:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Recirculate cockpit air to keep feet warm?

The sun and you are about the only sources of natural heat at altitude. Outside air circulating around the feet is especially cold. After eliminating that, then it's conceivable that circulating...
Forum: Soaring December 18th 18, 06:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
04' Cobra metal top leaks

Thanks guys. Sounds like the trough+drains might be part of the plan for condensation, but that's not the source I'm seeing.

Also, the clam to bottom seal looks good and the leak is above it.

I'm...
Forum: Soaring December 17th 18, 02:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
04' Cobra metal top leaks

How does the water sealing system on a Cobra normally work?

On the inside lower edge of each side there is a small trough. (A great place to store the TE probe, etc.)

If I look closely, there are...
Forum: Soaring November 11th 18, 04:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
IGC to replace FLARM ? ?

"Intention is to develop own fully secured tracking function with a
possibility of time delay."

It will be tricky to have open access to the hardware and software and also controlled, secure access...
Forum: Soaring August 28th 18, 02:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vario Comparison

Mike,

Congrats on the new gadget. It sounds great. Since you are here and talking about TE compensation, there is a dumb question that I've often wondered about.

In theory TE = MGH +...
Forum: Soaring August 17th 18, 02:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Perlan High Altitude Tow Plane

Maybe it was something I ate, but I had a strange thought last night on towing really high.

What if you put a cg tow position on the tow plane and payed out cable from the tow plane winch launch...
Forum: Soaring August 5th 18, 06:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Accident report removed?

Report says they were having a nice day, then a thud and rudder pedals moved suddenly.

I wonder if they have enough of the rudder to look for some sort of mid air collision damage.
Forum: Soaring August 4th 18, 03:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
trying to understand Wings program

"I don't get it."
The problem may be your focus.

For me, Wings is an easy opportunity to learn more about flying. Some from the lecture, but also from hanging around a talking to pilots and...
Forum: Soaring July 31st 18, 01:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Day 2 of 18m WGC

Maybe some planes are better than others...

....at finding the right pilots to fly them?
Forum: Soaring June 30th 18, 02:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Any details on Nephi incident?

This seems a 2 bottle event. With parachutes, it is generally good form not to share, that is to have one per pilot.

Aside from the how to attach the PLB lesson, perhaps another is to rethink the...
Forum: Soaring June 23rd 18, 01:04 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Any details on Nephi incident?

He's back at Nephi, rather shaken as one might imagine.

That really good news.

Eventually we'll learn what sequence of events made the chutes more attractive than the glider and why there were no...
Forum: Soaring June 20th 18, 01:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
A complicated question about LiFePO4 batteries, - and switching.

If you drop 0.7V on a 13V battery, you're going to be drawing 5% more power and have 5% less endurance.

I have slightly different numbers. I use low drop (0.4 v) diodes and per battery switches...
Forum: Soaring June 13th 18, 11:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Need a trailer

Thanks,

tip and tail clamps yes, but wing trolleys pretty bent

-Stuart
Forum: Soaring June 13th 18, 02:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Need a trailer

Semi's in the rear view mirror look bigger than glider trailers, especially when approaching fast and sliding sideways.

Everybody's ok, but unfortunately I need a trailer, rudder, and RV.

Anybody...
Forum: Soaring June 6th 18, 09:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Towplane-Baron accident

I am, however, left wondering...

Here's a link for more court proceedings

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/10724955/Rossetti_v_United_States_of_America_et_al
Forum: Soaring June 5th 18, 01:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Towplane-Baron accident

Here's the NTSB report
https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/ReportGeneratorFile.ashx?EventID=20140222X51922&AKey=1&RType=Final&IType=FA

An unfortunate event with plenty of opportunities for improvement...
Forum: Soaring June 4th 18, 05:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
refilling O2 bottles on the road.

So what happens if I rent a welding cylinder, weld until it's empty, remove the regulator, forget to close the valve, and just for fun it gets rained on?

Do they just refill it or dry and purge it...
Forum: Soaring June 4th 18, 02:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
refilling O2 bottles on the road.

It happens I just did this exercise with the local welder's supply.

For a 250cuft tank, the cost was $28 for the O2 + $10 for a month's tank rental(not charged for a week) + $250 for a tank deposit...
Forum: Soaring May 25th 18, 01:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pitot system - odd event

If the bellow ruptured, it seems like it would have made a path from the pitot to static which would have made the altimeter readings wierd.

From Dave's story, it might be worth putting the affected...
Forum: Soaring May 24th 18, 01:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pitot system - odd event

There might be a clue in AC43.13. Here's a caution note from the pitot static testing section ( Paragraphs 12-58 and 59)

"Do not blow air through the line toward the instrument panel. This may...