Forum: Soaring March 25th 18, 12:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cockpit exit assist for older pilots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paDcDvF0aSM

May be way to adapt NOAH for everyday use.
Forum: Soaring February 8th 18, 09:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SGP vs. Normal Racing

The finish is not the problem. The reason for limited numbers at a SGP is the starts, 20 gliders on the line at the same height, speed and time is enough.
Tom Claffey
Forum: Soaring February 6th 18, 10:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SGP vs. Normal Racing

Although GP racing is a spectacle for the public, and yes I would prefer a little higer start, I find it more enjoyable to fly and more social amongst the pilots than the high pressure WGC...
Forum: Soaring January 31st 18, 10:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASH-25J Crash in Aus

Justin, the previous engine in this glider had not run for probably 20 years, you sure this glider had a previous fire? I do know of two other ASH25 with fires, but ASH25Ms, not ASH25e. As you said,...
Forum: Soaring January 31st 18, 09:29 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Towing with a Pawnee 150

The only 150Pawnee I have flown has been converted to LS1 Chev engine. It is now superb! :)
Forum: Soaring January 30th 18, 12:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASH-25J Crash in Aus

The fire was before the crash, seen to be on fire on downwind.
Tom
Forum: Soaring January 24th 18, 01:02 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

Mountain flying is different, no floor system would work.
The terrain in Chile is not so easy, I am sure the tasking is also difficult to juggle all issues.
Regarding hazardous pilots, two of the...
Forum: Soaring January 20th 18, 12:04 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waikerie

And check the details in soaring spot.
Norm Bloch in a JS3 maxed out the area task and came in about 14Mins early, raw speed 179kph!
Higher wingloading on huge days is an advantage. (Not possible at...
Forum: Soaring January 18th 18, 07:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tying down a fiber glass ship.

I have seen numerous times that Colin’s method will bring grief.
If you have not got the sense to tie your aircraft down then trailer it or move it a LONG way from my glider. (New rudder due...
Forum: Soaring January 14th 18, 01:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Exceptional Soaring Weather Recently in Australia

Yes Dave, I did a lazy 750km O&R at Narromine in the ASW28 at over 130kph under nice CU while Kerrie has “borrowed” my 29 for the season.
I am sure there are some crappy blue days down South!...
Forum: Soaring January 5th 18, 10:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
1000km flights

If tasks were set to the maximum every day then Sebastian would win by more, based on my observation of him relative to other pilots over the last four WGC and a couple of GPs.
Here in Australia we...
Forum: Soaring December 24th 17, 03:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dennis Tito's flight

Keith Essex did 2674km from Minden a couple of years ago too.
All great flights.
Forum: Soaring December 11th 17, 08:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Akaflieg Karlsruhe AK-X

The New Zealand Weihe was restored and I beleive flown by Billy Walker some years ago and was hanging in the Terminal building at Queenstown until a few years ago. Not sure where it is now, it looked...
Forum: Soaring December 11th 17, 08:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Akaflieg Karlsruhe AK-X

The New Zealand Wheihe
Forum: Soaring November 10th 17, 05:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
The US Team selection process in future years

From the outside looking in:

Any time there is subjectivity someone will get upset, for that reason I prefer a straight analytical approach.
I had to fight to be on my first team because one of the...
Forum: Soaring November 4th 17, 07:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hannes Linke

Remember him fondly from the Barron Hilton Cup. RIP
Tom Claffey
Forum: Soaring October 21st 08, 01:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Was this a close shave?

My guess,
The glider battery was almost flat, hence the "hisses."
He followed the motorglider closely because he needed to!
He had no engine to extend his flight.
Motorglider probably didn't know...