Search: Posts made by: Surge
Forum: Soaring April 24th 18, 07:29 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Surge
Wanting to start a new glider club

If it were up to me I'd consider winch launching seeing as those mountains are very conveniently located.

Some advantages of a winch operation:
1. I would think that a second hand winch would be...
Forum: Soaring April 20th 18, 09:23 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Surge
Jonathan Leal's big day! 1000km 126 attempt from Mifflin

On Friday, 20 April 2018 04:30:18 UTC+2, wrote:
For people who are not familiar with the ridges, here is the "Ridge Map", a tool which has a lot of the landmarks, mountain...
Forum: Soaring April 20th 18, 07:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Surge
First glider Nimbus 2 ?

A correction to an obvious mistake I made:
"Take off with full negative flaps works well" should read "Take off roll started with with negative flaps works well to keep the wings level".
One...
Forum: Soaring April 19th 18, 03:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Surge
First glider Nimbus 2 ?

I decided to update the thread in case anyone else considers purchasing a Nimbus 2 as a first glider.

I've finally managed to fly my Nimbus 2 a couple of times (just over four hours) with the odds...
Forum: Soaring January 16th 18, 10:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Surge
Looping a standard cirrus

On Tuesday, 16 January 2018 07:38:48 UTC+2, wrote:
The glider is rated for loops. Entry speed 97 knots. Im just wondering if any other cirrus owner frequently loop and how it...
Forum: Soaring January 10th 18, 05:09 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Surge
Electric Towplane sets a new climb record

On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 02:51:12 UTC+2, Renny wrote:
We have definitely come a long way in the past 10 years, so just think where we will "be" 10 years from now!

Now, Nick...What you...
Forum: Soaring January 2nd 18, 10:02 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Surge
Relieving in flight

On Thursday, 21 December 2017 04:56:46 UTC+2, wrote:
Ok guys, this has probably been covered in older posts but what are you all using regarding urinary relief on long flights?...
Forum: Soaring January 1st 18, 05:42 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Surge
1000km flights

On Sunday, 31 December 2017 13:26:10 UTC+2, wrote:
On 30 December 2017, there were 34 flights of over 1000km posted onto the OLC. These were all in Namibia and South Africa....
Forum: Soaring December 15th 17, 06:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Surge
Multiple varios

On Friday, 15 December 2017 00:00:23 UTC+2, John Foster wrote:
Why do so many gliders seem to have multiple varios? Is it that critical to have a back-up for this instrument? Do they often fail...
Forum: Soaring March 27th 17, 12:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Surge
iPhone 6+ or Galaxy Note 4?

On Monday, 27 March 2017 12:53:54 UTC+2, Martin Gregorie wrote:
The best I've used is a Medion S3747, which has a transreflective colour
display and is compatible with LK8000 (and so should be...
Forum: Soaring March 27th 17, 07:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Surge
handicap for olc club scores based on # of soarable days?

On Monday, 27 March 2017 02:26:47 UTC+2, Blake Seese 3Y wrote:
The clubs in the southwest have a clear advantage and will always win OLC.. Should there be a handicap system like we have for our...
Forum: Soaring March 24th 17, 07:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Surge
We need an ASW-19 rebirth for $25,000

We don't need cheaper gliders until we can fix the declining membership issue.
In my club there are plenty of 35:1 to 40:1 gliders which have been up for sale for between $6000 and $16000 and they're...
Forum: Soaring March 23rd 17, 08:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Surge
Confor foam cushions - firmness?

I'd like to install Confor foam in my glider but I'm not sure why such small pieces are sold or how they're supposed to be fitted to a glider.

How do other pilots attach the Confor foam to their...
Forum: Soaring February 23rd 17, 01:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Surge
FES&electric system batteries

On Thursday, 23 February 2017 13:27:10 UTC+2, krasw wrote:
Why use so expensive battery?

Because we all know that money makes aircraft fly.
If we don't pay lots of money things won't fly.
Forum: Soaring February 21st 17, 06:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Surge
Can ADS-B provide position information for Search and Rescue?

How does satellite based ADS-B monitoring like Aireon's space-based global surveillance system fit into the picture?
Forum: Soaring February 4th 17, 05:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Surge
Thoughts on panel upgrade?

On Friday, 3 February 2017 07:57:40 UTC+2, Paul wrote:
That sounds pretty cool! Does it work well? Do you have any details/photos?

Some...
Forum: Soaring February 3rd 17, 05:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Surge
Thoughts on panel upgrade?

On Friday, 3 February 2017 06:26:33 UTC+2, JS wrote:
A friend had overheating problems with his Open Vario. Look into that before starting the project (next year).
Jim

I built my own XCSoar...
Forum: Soaring February 2nd 17, 03:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Surge
Thoughts on panel upgrade?

Slight thread jack:
There are some good tips are some really good tips on this newsgroup when it comes to panel upgrades and electrical systems.

I redid a panel upgrade last year and it went from...
Forum: Soaring January 9th 17, 06:06 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Surge
Glider Maintenance - Fuselage Rotisserie

On Saturday, 7 January 2017 17:14:48 UTC+2, wrote:
If you ever wonder why quality sailplane repairs are so expensive just have a look at that vimeo piece. I wonder how many hours...
Forum: Soaring January 6th 17, 01:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Surge
Interesting modification to an SGS 2-32

http://airfactsjournal.com/2017/01/accidental-warbird-flight/
Forum: Soaring November 4th 16, 10:09 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Surge
Birds in the hangar

On Friday, 4 November 2016 11:29:39 UTC+2, Ben Coleman wrote:
Probably not for our main hanger. It is roughly 25x25m (or more) and holds around 13 gliders. Of course anything can be done but...
Forum: Soaring November 4th 16, 06:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Surge
First glider Nimbus 2 ?

On Thursday, 3 November 2016 17:25:27 UTC+2, wrote:
Hi Surge

Just wondering if you ended up buying a glider and if so, what did you get?

I bought a Nimbus 2 but life got...
Forum: Soaring November 2nd 16, 05:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Surge
Flarm Net

On Wednesday, 2 November 2016 18:02:15 UTC+2, Dan Marotta wrote:
Hey Renny, next time we're both at the airport, let's see if I can see
you on my display across the taxiway.

From my limited...
Forum: Soaring October 19th 16, 02:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Surge
Tow rope length?

On Tuesday, 18 October 2016 15:18:15 UTC+2, Waveguru wrote:
It seems that most operations here in the USA use a 200' tow rope, and I've heard that some places in Europe even use a rope as short as...
Forum: Soaring September 30th 16, 06:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Surge
Grob Twin Astir

On Thursday, 29 September 2016 15:00:07 UTC+2, Don Johnstone wrote:
I would agree with you IF gliders, especially 2 seat gliders were always
flown by pilots experience as you and I. Truth is...