Forum: Soaring October 16th 18, 03:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASW-19 Maximum Weight

Off topic a bit but there is a Pegasus for sale on W&W for a very reasonable price. Depending on who you ask, similar and every bit as nice as a 19 and it likely has a higher max gross. The 3000 hour...
Forum: Soaring September 6th 18, 03:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
stowing horizontal stabilizer on tail boom in trailer

I have this set up on my Pegasus. I'm pretty sure the saddle is custom made as the stab is very snug in it and the saddle fits the boom and wing fairings precisely. It works well. I can get you...
Forum: Soaring August 29th 18, 01:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cause of accident revealed...

Obviously, you guys aren't paying attention. She said, flux "capacitator" not "capacitor". (This is consistent with the flat tires clearly visible in the video.) While they sound similar, they are...
Forum: Soaring August 28th 18, 07:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Canopy opening in flight

I saw a 1-34 pilot who got a bit rushed during take-off. The canopy flew open and broke but stay attached. The pilot lost his hat and glasses but landed without incident. Like Mark M, I took off with...
Forum: Soaring August 23rd 18, 01:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Centrair 101A Available- Price lowered

Not that it hasn't happened, but I've never seen a 90 (nor a B or D model, for that matter) offered for sale in the U.S. The access hole in the Peg is small and connections are made strictly by...
Forum: Soaring August 22nd 18, 01:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Centrair 101A Available- Price lowered

On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 8:26:45 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, August 20, 2018 at 3:12:56 PM UTC-4, wrote:
See Wings and Wheels ad. Estate sale....
Forum: Soaring August 15th 18, 01:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flying with Parachutes

On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 10:58:42 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
That's faulty logic and that CFIG was making a joke.

On 8/14/2018 8:50 AM, Duster wrote:
That said, equally untrue is,...
Forum: Soaring August 7th 18, 08:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Centrair Pegase in the US

There used to be a site called savethepegasus.org by Bob and (I think) Mark Macho that kept a running journal of sorts of what went into saving the Pegs in the U.S. It was a document of tenacity and...
Forum: Soaring July 5th 18, 03:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Emergency Exit

Is this the one that used a lawn tractor inner tube or similar folded in half? I remember one posted here on RAS that looked simple, cheap and effective - a rare combination.
Forum: Soaring June 20th 18, 02:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grand Teton Crash

The "Rogue Air" article has a picture of what Bob T calls a "spinner". I've heard them called Mustache clouds and saw (what I assume was) one just the other day. Oddly, one end had a loop in it so it...
Forum: Soaring June 19th 18, 04:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OUDIE CHARGE

your plane has a cigarette lighter???

Cigar, actually.
Forum: Soaring June 13th 18, 11:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Safety against commercial pressure?

A private owner(s) might choose to not fly not because it dangerous but because there isn't sufficient lift to make it worth the effort. 5000' tows with a glide back to the ground are not uncommon at...
Forum: Soaring April 24th 18, 04:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tapered pins (again)

I was thinking about having my Pegasus pins tapered. I'll have to check how much is protruding from the spar. Who has done this and is it something any good machinist can do? Does the taper JJ...
Forum: Soaring April 8th 18, 02:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Spinning a Pegase

So, what makes one glider more likely than another to exceed VNE in a spin recovery? Lack of elevator authority? A Pegase isn't more slippery than any other modern glider, right?
Forum: Soaring March 29th 18, 07:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Confusing SSA hand signals that should be changed

Has it happened that slack was taken up or a t/o roll started with no one in the glider AND a wing runner signaling to do so? I'm guessing so.

In any case, when in Rome, do as the Romans! In other...
Forum: Soaring March 28th 18, 01:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Confusing SSA hand signals that should be changed

My old club used to work with the Civil Air Patrol, supplying towplane, gliders and sometimes glider pilots to give cadets orientation flights. One disagreement over signals led to some pretty heated...
Forum: Soaring March 27th 18, 01:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
First glider to buy 10-20k euro's

I bought a Pegase a couple of years ago. I don't have that many flights in it yet but here are my observations. Rigging can be easy or difficult. Much depends on the the surface of the ground. On...
Forum: Soaring March 14th 18, 05:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cockpit exit assist for older pilots

I see JJ mentioned this a few posts up. Maybe a search could produce the details?
Forum: Soaring March 14th 18, 05:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cockpit exit assist for older pilots

It was a few years back but someone on this group posted pictures of a system he had set up. IIRC, it involved a deflated inner tube, possibly folded in half so you are sitting on a "C" with the open...
Forum: Soaring March 7th 18, 07:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gas Strut for early (1997) Anschau Komet trailer

McMaster Carr has just about everything. I's be surprised if you couldn't find something suitable.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#gas-struts/=1bvbdcz
Forum: Soaring March 7th 18, 05:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
$75,000 2-33

Just when you thought you've seen it all. Wings and Wheels has listed a beautifully restored 2-33 for a mere $75K http://wingsandwheels.com/classifieds
Forum: Soaring March 3rd 18, 03:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stress/Anxiety Driven Accidents

Marty,

That's good stuff. As a police instructor I spend a fair amount of time training recruits and officers about what happens to the body/mind under high stress. Tunnel vision and auditory...
Forum: Soaring February 18th 18, 05:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2018 - AN EXCITING YEAR

So, my club has a new K21 arriving for the upcoming season. For the price of the glider, instruments and trailer ($140K +/- I think) we might be able to get a used Duo Discus and have some cash left...
Forum: Soaring January 31st 18, 08:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hard Deck

"Something is keeping pilots from racing in droves" from up-thread.

First off, I have no dog in this fight. I have never entered a competition and, likely, never will. I can't comment on the safety...
Forum: Soaring January 23rd 18, 12:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

I do not race and never will so excuse my ignorance but is there not a penalty for circling the "wrong" way in a thermal? It would seem that it would be fairly easy to catch offenders via logs.