Search: Posts made by: Dan Marotta
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 11:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
A couple SSA 2020 convention presentations online...

This is what I wear:
https://rigginginnovations.com/skydiving-containers/aviator-emergency-parachute

I used it in my prior LAK-17a and now in my Stemme.

On 2/28/2020 1:42 PM, Mike N. wrote:
It...
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 07:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
A couple SSA 2020 convention presentations online...

All of what Dave said is true, unless you wear a ram-air rectangular
emergency chute.* For me training at the sky diving club was a great
improvement over my Air Force training since that was...
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 07:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
A couple SSA 2020 convention presentations online...

Static line...* Don't forget to disconnect it before getting out after a
normal landing... :-D

We have a Master Rigger who comes to Moriarty each spring and gives a
parachute ground school.* He...
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 07:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Comparing Nano 4 with Colibri X

I continue to use Track Up when flying wave as both my ClearNav II and
Streak/XCSoar display a handy dandy wind arrow to show where the wind is
acting on the glider.

On 2/28/2020 8:28 AM, Jonathan...
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 07:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Comparing Nano 4 with Colibri X

I use Track Up when cruising and, when I thermal, my map switches to
North Up automagically.

On 2/28/2020 8:10 AM, Soartech wrote:
On Tuesday, February 25, 2020 at 6:35:53 PM UTC-5, waremark...
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 06:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
A couple SSA 2020 convention presentations online...

After buying a square parachute, I went with the intention of taking the
ground training (I'd had the Air Force training in the early 70s) and
making one jump.* I was scared absolutely ****less,...
Forum: Soaring February 27th 20, 05:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
ELY 2020

How about ground launching?* Bring your own.

On 2/27/2020 9:28 AM, kimobear wrote:
On Wednesday, February 26, 2020 at 10:38:56 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Ely has been ruined by their...
Forum: Soaring February 25th 20, 07:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
John Deere Gator TX 2WD

We use a Polaris Ranger 500 and it's been great towing our Stemme around
the airport.* It's also useful having 1-, 2-, and 4-wheel drive
(electrically selectable) when we get into the dirt,...
Forum: Soaring February 23rd 20, 04:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Looking for help with French trailer documents (contactinformation)

On 2/22/2020 5:10 PM, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:

Problem is, the original registration documents are incorrect, and the trailer has since been deregistered. The serial number and weights are...
Forum: Soaring February 23rd 20, 04:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
More Sad News From PHDH

Oh sure, close the airport to ensure the safety of the aircraft and
passengers.* Typical politician.

From the news article: And some, including U.S. Sen. Brian Schatz,
called for alonger-term or...
Forum: Soaring February 22nd 20, 08:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
L33 Hydraulic Conversion ANQ (Another Noob Question)

For what kind of aircraft?* Standard or Experimental?

Take a look at Beringer https://www.beringer-aero.com/en/wheels-brakes.

On 2/22/2020 9:53 AM, Shaun Wheeler wrote:
Now that it's passed...
Forum: Soaring February 21st 20, 10:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

If your glider has Experimental registration, you can try it yourself or
find people who have the skills.* There are such folks at Moriarty and,
I'm sure, other places as well.* Having read...
Forum: Soaring February 21st 20, 06:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

How about size, form factor, and weight?* How would the higher fuel
requirement affect the installation?

On 2/20/2020 8:15 PM, Mike N. wrote:
Thanks for the sarcasm, wothless and not helpful at...
Forum: Soaring February 21st 20, 06:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Green band on ASI

I sometimes fly at less than minimum sink speed, e.g., when flying in a
narrow area of weak wave.* Whereas the lower speed increases the sink
rate, the longer time in the lift plus the smaller...
Forum: Soaring February 20th 20, 06:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Is it a scam!

Two words - WIRE TRANSFER

And I'd want a bunch of assurances from my bank that the funds are
legitimate.

On 2/20/2020 10:25 AM, Geoff Minors wrote:
Good day gentlemen
We have a SGU 2-22 for...
Forum: Soaring February 19th 20, 09:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Looking for help with French trailer documents (contactinformation)

VPN...

On 2/19/2020 1:10 PM, wrote:
Le mardi 18 février 2020 16:45:40 UTC+1, Senna Van den Bosch a écrit*:
Op dinsdag 18 februari 2020 13:37:52 UTC+1 schreef...
Forum: Soaring February 19th 20, 05:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Help needed with Flarm cable

Page 12 of the linked document shows the pin configuration of the
cable.* Is that not what you need?* I'm assuming you have the tools and
parts required to make your own cable.

On 2/18/2020 1:48...
Forum: Soaring February 18th 20, 05:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Mecaplex canopy window lube

Like some before have said, if it used to slide freely and now it
doesn't, it's most likely dirty.* The first logical step is simply to
clean it.

On 2/18/2020 8:28 AM, John DeRosa OHM Ω...
Forum: Soaring February 14th 20, 06:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
_Glider_Towplane_Mid-air_–_TP_PowerFLARM_Inop

Here we go again with "shock cooling" as an excuse.

On 2/13/2020 6:42 PM, George Haeh wrote:
I heard that the C-182 had cylinder problems; possibly delaying the descent after release was being...
Forum: Soaring February 14th 20, 02:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Electronic TE compensation, will this work?

Are you anywhere near Moriarty?* Either Fidel or Robert Mudd could that
work.

On 2/13/2020 8:09 AM, soaringjac wrote:
On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 2:59:36 AM UTC-8, krasw wrote:
Just...
Forum: Soaring February 14th 20, 01:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
_Glider_Towplane_Mid-air_–_TP_PowerFLARM_Inop

A couple of comments:

A tug circling back at the same altitude is a critical safety risk. I
would say that some towing procedures need to be established and, if it
was the same tow pilot as the...
Forum: Soaring February 14th 20, 01:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
iGlide

Top Hat igc files are acceptable for OLC flights, but not for badges.

On 2/12/2020 6:15 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 2:15:06 PM UTC-5, Ben S wrote:
If you are...
Forum: Soaring February 12th 20, 07:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Glider Towplane Mid-air – TP PowerFLARM Inop

The ABQ soaring club Pawnee has either a Flarm or a transponder.* In any
case, I see it electronically all the time.

On 2/12/2020 11:03 AM, Darryl Ramm wrote:
I think the reverse question is...
Forum: Soaring February 12th 20, 07:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Electronic TE compensation, will this work?

** Caution *** I'm not competing in world contests, just flying for
fun.* That said, it seems to work OK for me.* And it's certainly good
enough for Diamond flights.

And how do you know that...
Forum: Soaring February 12th 20, 05:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
_Glider_Towplane_Mid-air_–_TP_PowerFLARM_Inop

Point taken, but a soft release is never a good thing from the tow
pilot's perspective.* When flying my glider I seldom released softly but
I always announced, "5J's off, thanks!"

On 2/11/2020...