High Wing Planes are Better Than Low Wing Planes by [email protected]
And that's why you never see low-winged birds. ---- High-Wing vs Low-Wing Airplanes by Stephen Lewis Anyone contemplating the purchase of a single-engine airplane has numerous factors to consider prior to committing to buy. Among the items that warrant attention are acquisition price,...
7 1,069 Piloting
TT21/TN72 power consumption by jfitch
For those of you contemplating this, I've made some rough power measurements. Sitting in my shop with a clear view towards the airport, the TT21 is reporting nearly constant interrogations, and drawing between 120 and 150 ma. The TN72 alone draws about 70 ma. When both are powered and broadcasting...
Today 06:00 AM
by Darryl Ramm Go to last post
8 63 Soaring
Birds do it too... by WB
Interesting article at The Scientist. Parallels between behavior of soaring birds and soaring pilots (I almost wrote "soaring humans";). original...
Today 02:56 AM
by WB Go to last post
5 18 Soaring
sunlight readable iphone by [email protected]
Does anyone have any data on whether the iPhone X OLED screen will be more sunlight readable than previous iPhones? The brightness spec looks the same (625cd/m2), but I see no data on the screen reflectance.
Car/Truck to pull glider trailer by [email protected]
Hi All, I am new to this group and last fall added a glider rating to my ASEL certificate. I am planning to replace my car this summer and in anticipation of purchasing a glider someday, I would like to purchase a vehicle that would do a good job towing a glider. I also want it to get the best...
by Jonathan St. Cloud Go to last post
51 1,558 Soaring
Pitot system - odd event by Del Jensen
On tow the other day the airspeed indicator jammed and the digital airspeed read about 20kts too high. When I got down the digital airspeed was 30kts with the glider stopped, and turning off the unit (S80) and re-initialing the tas read 30kts. Upon examination the diaphragm was found to be...
Tape the pitot/static system during storage? by [email protected]
Hi all. From advice from another soaring pilot, I've been taping my pitot/static inlets with red electrical tape when I store my glider. This is done to keep bugs out during storage. I started wondering if changes in air pressure could cause the airspeed and/or altimeter and/or vario...
Sad news from Avenal, CA by Ramy[_2_]
http://www.soaravenal.com/2018/05/statement-from-ccsc-president-mike.html It was Jan’s first flight in the Lark single seater he purchased recently. My condolences to his family and friends. Ramy
Yesterday 07:08 PM
by Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) Go to last post
2 30 Soaring
A Simple Question About LiFePO4 Batteries by [email protected]
Not to start another chapter in "Battery Wars" but I have a simple question about "drop in" LiFePO4 battery replacements for SLA batteries in gliders. For years, I've used an SLA battery with the same footprint as the common glider size of 7Ah to 9Ah--i.e., 5.95" x 2.56"--except a little...
Soaring not compatible with modern society? by [email protected]
I'm wondering how much the modern reluctance to land out and desire for collision avoidance technology is driven by an underlying fear that if society knew about soaring, society would ban it. Granted no one wants to die or have anyone else die but we've been recreational flying for 100 years and...
SHARES NOW OPEN for the US Aerobatic Team’s Swift S-1 Unlimited Aerobatic Glider by [email protected]
GM and it’s good to hear the Swift is in the US, Can you let me know the cost of joining in the Swift group to fly and compete using swift ? I am based in Ga so could use the Seminole location in Fl... Also because of my size of 6 ft 4 in will I fit in the swift ok? Thanks Tom
Yesterday 11:33 AM