Search: Posts made by: Vaughn Simon[_2_]
Forum: Soaring September 11th 18, 10:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Vaughn Simon[_2_]
Accidents resulting from medical issues

On 9/11/2018 4:14 PM, wrote:
Spare a thought for how accidents affect the rest of the community and how many potential new pilots might decide that the sport is too dangerous and...
Forum: Piloting September 7th 18, 01:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Vaughn Simon[_2_]
Electric flight is coming, but the batteries aren’t ready

On 8/25/2018 1:45 PM, Larry Dighera wrote:
So, if the batteries are an issue, let's improve the electric motor's
power and efficiency while we're waiting for battery improvements

Sorry, but...
Forum: Piloting July 5th 17, 11:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Vaughn Simon[_2_]
Lilium Aviation flies prototype of its 160-knot all-electric VTOL

On 7/5/2017 2:21 AM, wrote:
And there is an even more important term that needs to be re-looked at:

VTOL.

Helicopters are VTOL aircraft. Quadcopters...
Forum: Soaring July 4th 17, 03:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Vaughn Simon[_2_]
Adapting medical cannulas to work with an EDS?

On 7/4/2017 10:26 AM, jfitch wrote:
On Monday, July 3, 2017 at 2:08:59 PM UTC-7, Bill G wrote:
Thanks for all the great suggestions! I like the idea of just heating it and form fitting it. Still...
Forum: Soaring March 13th 17, 12:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Vaughn Simon[_2_]
Test results LiFePO4 glider batteries after 6 years

On 3/12/2017 10:54 PM, jfitch wrote:
While I was at it, a 5 year old PowerSonic 14 AH SLA, 9.8AH (11V @ 1A). This battery had been sitting idle and uncharged for 3 years, till I charged it for the...
Forum: Piloting February 20th 17, 08:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Vaughn Simon[_2_]
POTUS TFRs Paralyze Florida Flight Ops

On 2/20/2017 1:16 PM, Larry Dighera wrote:
Airport operators and flight schools in the Palm Beach, Florida, area are
bracing for long-term economic loss and disruption due to the presidential...
Forum: Soaring February 19th 17, 03:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Vaughn Simon[_2_]
Why are side sticks unpopular in sailplanes

On 2/19/2017 7:14 AM, J. Nieuwenhuize wrote:
Why would a well-designed sidesticks not be liked,

Like others here, I've never flown with a side stick. That said, in
gliders I've probably switched...
Forum: Piloting February 16th 17, 02:03 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Vaughn Simon[_2_]
Harrison Ford Mistakenly Lands Husky On KSNA Taxiway

On 2/15/2017 12:21 PM, Larry Dighera wrote:
Is it time for venerated pilot Harrison Ford to ground himself for less than
adequate judgment skills to act as Pilot In Command?

The runway is the...
Forum: Soaring January 29th 17, 12:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Vaughn Simon[_2_]
Flight instructor written test prep

On 1/28/2017 2:37 PM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
I have read the Russel Holtz books for flight instructing. Anyone recommend a good written test prep book or series for Glider Flight instructor...
Forum: Soaring January 22nd 17, 09:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Vaughn Simon[_2_]
Aerobatic Two Seat Gliders?

On 1/22/2017 4:45 AM, Terry Pitts wrote:
An SGS 2-32 might do loops and rolls, but likely not much else for sportsman aerobatics.

Well then you can also eliminate the Krosno, which (at least in my...
Forum: Piloting December 10th 16, 12:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Vaughn Simon[_2_]
Lilium: the world's first 250mph, 300 mile range, electricvertical take off and landing jet

On 12/9/2016 5:27 PM, Larry Dighera wrote:
Lilium: the world's first electric vertical take off and landing jet

Even if it were the world's first VTOL electric "jet" (which is isn't)
you can't...
Forum: Soaring November 27th 16, 02:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Vaughn Simon[_2_]
Sale today on 12 Volt flexible solar panel

On 11/26/2016 8:27 PM, wrote:
Unique wiring situation, I have studied the wiring diagram, and wiring
in the plane and not figured out a safe way to wire in batteries to
Forum: Soaring November 17th 16, 06:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Vaughn Simon[_2_]
Windy

On 11/17/2016 1:01 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
I could take off backwards! Naaah...

With enough steady wind, you could theoretically launch using nothing
but an anchored tow rope of sufficient...
Forum: Naval Aviation November 14th 16, 11:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Posted By Vaughn Simon[_2_]
Russian Carrier loses a Bird.

"MOSCOW — A Russian fighter jet crashed off the Syrian coast on Monday
while trying to land on an aging aircraft carrier in the Mediterranean,
Russian military officials said.

The Russian...
Forum: Soaring November 4th 16, 02:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Vaughn Simon[_2_]
Birds in the hangar

On 11/4/2016 9:36 AM, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Friday, November 4, 2016 at 6:38:35 AM UTC-4, AS wrote:
The birds (pigeons) in our hangar died suddenly from high velocity lead poisoning.

Oddly,...
Forum: Soaring November 3rd 16, 10:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Vaughn Simon[_2_]
Self-launch v Sustainer

On 11/2/2016 10:02 PM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Would you drive a Chinese engineered and made car, I surely would not!

Sure I would. Why not?

Would I buy one? That's a different question!

I...
Forum: Soaring October 6th 16, 02:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Vaughn Simon[_2_]
Dittel radio squelch

On 10/5/2016 6:26 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
IIRC they were AM back in the mid 60s

Yes, but they weren't VHF then. They were in the 2 megacycle band and
required huge antennas for best range. ...
Forum: Soaring October 5th 16, 10:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Vaughn Simon[_2_]
Dittel radio squelch

On 10/5/2016 10:20 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:

Short wave AM broadcasting, is still there, since its in the band that's
strongly reflected by the ionosphere, so has beyond the horizon range
Forum: Soaring October 5th 16, 01:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Vaughn Simon[_2_]
Dittel radio squelch

On 10/5/2016 7:16 AM, BruceGreeff wrote:
Many new smartphones are transmitting in the 850-900mhz range. (Some are
even lower in 450,older ones are 2100, 1900, 1700...)

If you look in the...
Forum: Soaring September 20th 16, 12:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Vaughn Simon[_2_]
Johnny Byrd (was: 30 Gone)

On 9/19/2016 9:42 PM, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
So many stories.

I remember that he set out to build the "Ultimate Tow Plane". As I
recall (perhaps wrongly) he started with...
Forum: Soaring August 15th 16, 06:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Vaughn Simon[_2_]
Al-Ko Trailer Tongue failure

On 8/15/2016 11:16 AM, Casey wrote:
Has anyone had a failure with this type tongue while towing with a large motorhome?

I once had a failure with that style tongue, and I was towing with my...
Forum: Soaring August 6th 16, 02:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Vaughn Simon[_2_]
Low cost ADS-B Options

On 8/5/2016 11:58 PM, Darryl Ramm wrote:
IMNSHO Stratus wins there big time with support for ForeFlight.

Just my opinion, but I detest artificially closed ecosystems, especially
the unholy...
Forum: Soaring July 28th 16, 06:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Vaughn Simon[_2_]
WTB: Headrest for ASW-20,19, etc.

On 7/27/2016 9:37 PM, GeneReinecke wrote:
Looking for headrest assy for ASW-20

Gene
(714) 330 1598

If a generic headrest will do, Google the term "recumbent bicycle
headrest" The riding...
Forum: Piloting July 22nd 16, 01:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Vaughn Simon[_2_]
Senate and House have Approved Third-Class Medical Reform

On 7/21/2016 6:51 PM, Larry Dighera wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 16:53:38 -0400, Vaughn Simon wrote:

On 7/21/2016 3:49 PM, Larry Dighera wrote:
Here's a case in...
Forum: Piloting July 21st 16, 09:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Vaughn Simon[_2_]
Senate and House have Approved Third-Class Medical Reform

On 7/21/2016 3:49 PM, Larry Dighera wrote:
Here's a case in point:

http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/Results.aspx?queryId=adc0ae7e-4854-41a4-98a6-17b4751406da
National Transportation...