Search: Posts made by: Roy B.
Forum: Soaring June 3rd 21, 09:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Tow plane ideas

No perfect tow ship, all have pros and cons.

Probably also good to consider noise issues if sensitive neighbors are a concern. All of the CS props are noisy as heck -
especially the 260 hp Pawnee...
Forum: Soaring June 3rd 21, 09:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Tow plane ideas

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 2:40:37 PM UTC-4, PGS S. wrote:
On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 2:37:37 PM UTC-4, jackson...com wrote:
My glider club is looking into the possibility of a new or...
Forum: Soaring June 3rd 21, 06:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Flarm Target direction

Ramy:
I don't profess expertise in this area, but note that in addition to the carbon underbelly there is a lot of hardware under the glare shield mounted Flarm antenna that can block...
Forum: Soaring June 3rd 21, 05:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Flarm Target direction

Further to the continued need for old fashioned "mark one eyeball" is recognition that Flarm does not work in all geometrical situations.
I was an unwitting participant in a comp near miss where 2...
Forum: Soaring May 27th 21, 12:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Tow plane ideas

You might give some thought to the Citabria 7GCBC - 180 hp with flaps. It's a nice plane with a good power/weight ratio.
Prices on L-19s have gone crazy and they are all +50 years old. Pawnees are OK...
Forum: Soaring May 16th 21, 10:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Oudie/Flarm alarm from my own ADS-B/Transponder

I don't know which of these changes fixed the problem, but I tested the system yesterday and I am no longer getting the conflicts.

Rich
You are welcome. If the problem re-emerges intermiently,...
Forum: Soaring May 15th 21, 12:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Declared 750K in thermals, Eastern US

Evan
Congratulations on a a truly outstanding flight.

While not "in the Eastern US" the very first North American 750 km triangle was done by John Firth in a Kestrel in Ontario.
It was one of the...
Forum: Soaring May 15th 21, 12:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Declared 750K in thermals, Eastern US

On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 5:12:47 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 4:28:36 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 3:19:17 PM UTC-5, ...
Forum: Soaring May 14th 21, 12:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Oudie/Flarm alarm from my own ADS-B/Transponder

I had the same problem after I updated my FLARM firmware this year. I made the mistake of using the same memory stick that had last year's update on it. The problem was solved when I reloaded using a...
Forum: Soaring April 30th 21, 02:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Time to hang it up?

JJ:
Although you are not going to fly anymore, you are still a walking library of gliding knowledge. I hope that you can find a way to preserve that and share with the younger pilots all that you...
Forum: Soaring April 30th 21, 02:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Time to hang it up?

I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes.....
Forum: Soaring April 12th 21, 06:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
RV-friendly glider destinations?

Franconia NH has a nice campground (Fransted Family Campground) within an easy bicycle distance - and it's a beautiful place to visit.
ROY
Forum: Soaring April 12th 21, 05:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
RV-friendly glider destinations?

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 12:54:54 PM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 12:31:12 PM UTC-4, Luke Scharf wrote:
My wife has talked me into purchasing a travel trailer with...
Forum: Soaring April 12th 21, 05:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
RV-friendly glider destinations?

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 12:31:12 PM UTC-4, Luke Scharf wrote:
My wife has talked me into purchasing a travel trailer with her.

At least two of the glider operations I've been to (BRSS in...
Forum: Soaring March 26th 21, 06:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Gliding International - "International Accident Report"

The landout was a complete non-event in a beautiful field. Only reason it was written up was because the troopers showed up and insisted on getting a hold of the FAA, which promptly told them it...
Forum: Soaring March 21st 21, 09:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Gliding International - "International Accident Report"

This from February 2021, Volume 14 No. 5 page 40, "International Accident Report Nov-Dec 2000". The third "accident" reported:

[After giving date, location, type registration number etc.]...
Forum: Soaring March 10th 21, 09:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Mylar Project

Bob:
Thanks!

2 Questions/Clarifications:

1) Are you saying you actually sand the Mylar taped surface itself to improve adhesion?

2) I have something called a "wallpaper seam roller" ( a 1" wide ...
Forum: Soaring March 10th 21, 07:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Mylar Project

I am wondering if some of the more experienced repair guys on this list would share their wisdom on replacing mylar seals. There is lots of stuff on the internet about refinishing a sailplane - but...
Forum: Soaring February 16th 21, 09:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Your Opinion Would Be Appreciated

Bob:
A few additional points to think about:

One of the most desirable options for the ASG-29 pure glider is the fuselage tank (which can be made removable and replaced with the storage shelf)....
Forum: Soaring February 16th 21, 08:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Light Color Polyester Putty

Does anybody know a source for light colored 2-part polyester putty? The ones up here all have a bright colored hardener which helps on the mixing but shows through after a thin coat of white paint. ...
Forum: Soaring February 10th 21, 02:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
NASA Pik-20E Log Books / $500 Reward

David:
According to Bertha Ryan's biography of Einar Enevoldson, he flew that glider a lot when he was at Dryden. He might know where they are. I assume his contact information is with the...
Forum: Soaring February 4th 21, 04:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Expat Retirement with soaring?

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better...
Forum: Soaring January 28th 21, 11:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Another oldie showcasing Soaring's Finest?

On Thursday, January 28, 2021 at 5:09:44 PM UTC-5, Steve Leonard wrote:
Google searching for something else, and stumbled on to this 1969 ad.

Anybody recognize where it was filmed?
ROY
Forum: Soaring January 28th 21, 01:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Expat Retirement with soaring?

Thoughts on Namibia?

Great place to fly - IF you have a self launcher (no tow planes). But what else is there to do?
SA has many large cities, shopping malls, restaurants, full amenities, first...
Forum: Soaring January 27th 21, 11:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Expat Retirement with soaring?

Jeff:
I have just returned from 2 months in South Africa - which was my 23d trip there. Wonderful flying, great people, fascinating country, cost of living about 65% of the USA's. Right now...