Search: Posts made by: Duster[_2_]
Forum: Soaring January 4th 20, 07:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Women's Worlds

On Saturday, January 4, 2020 at 6:55:40 AM UTC-6, Karl Striedieck wrote:
SHE SCOOOORRRRREES! Sarah Arnold clobbered the field on the first day at the Women's Worlds in Australia.

.....by 8km/hr!...
Forum: Soaring December 19th 19, 02:06 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Amazon Smile and the SSA - WHAT?

First I heard about this program; sounds like a great idea and thanks for bringing it up.
Forum: Soaring December 15th 19, 05:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Shifting CG In-Flight

A friend has installed a system in his home-built glider that enables shifting the CG position forward during higher cruise speeds (e.g., between lift, final glide, etc.). It uses two water...
Forum: Soaring December 9th 19, 01:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Diana 2 FES

Really Dan, pay attention. "FES" stands for "front engine sustainer", whereas "FES" stands for "front engine self-launcher".

OK, seriously, the Diana site says the Diana 2 and 3 are optioned for...
Forum: Soaring December 8th 19, 10:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Looking for pictures of motorglider failures

On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 3:38:04 PM UTC-6, Tom BravoMike wrote:
On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 12:01:48 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Motor in a sailplane = a complicated...
Forum: Soaring December 8th 19, 09:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Looking for pictures of motorglider failures

Not part of the accident report, but here are some additional photos of the hub failure accident mentioned. Kudos to the BGA and their mag for better coverage of such events and remedies. I believe...
Forum: Soaring December 8th 19, 08:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Looking for pictures of motorglider failures

\J. May:
Some where there is a photo of a propellor blade sticking out of a
duo discus wing.It was part of the AD sent out after a hub failure left
the blades coming off.

I think this may be...
Forum: Soaring December 5th 19, 11:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Briegleb BG-12B?

CQ is correct; at least one being actively flown in Australia (club owned?) and 2 with current registration in the US. Not sure how one can say they're a death trap, but if you're serious, better let...
Forum: Soaring November 19th 19, 06:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
No more insects or rain droplets on glider wings?

Good for only 500 flushes though it says. However, NASA has been working on a bug-shedding coating, According to this article. Not sure what became of...
Forum: Soaring November 18th 19, 01:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Looking for AR4201 radio

Dave,
Mine has “Change Index 01” Printed just beneath the serial number.
Forum: Soaring November 14th 19, 04:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
US: Who is Flying What

On Thursday, November 14, 2019 at 6:23:51 AM UTC-6, krasw wrote:
"Ventus". Ok.

U.S.A. Inventory:
Ventus A 9
Ventus B 40
Ventus BT 8
Ventus C 10
Ventus CM 4
Ventus CT 1
Forum: Soaring November 14th 19, 03:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
US: Who is Flying What

I don't think the FAA has those.
Interesting exercise
UH

Right, the FAA doesn't have any ownership based on contest numbers. However, it's relatively quick to get reasonable numbers off the...
Forum: Soaring November 11th 19, 02:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Replies: 15
Vne
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Vne

On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 5:49:28 PM UTC-6, Charlie Quebec wrote:
VNE is certainly tested by the German manufacturers, and part of EASA certification You appear to be using the method...
Forum: Soaring November 11th 19, 12:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Replies: 15
Vne
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Vne

On Saturday, November 9, 2019 at 12:49:14 PM UTC-6, jp wrote:
I know that Vne can vary with altitude but does it also vary with aircraft weight?

It might be more useful to use Vd rather than Vne,...
Forum: Soaring November 10th 19, 09:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Replies: 15
Vne
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Vne

Hmmm, I thought Vne Is basically a guess by the FAA that 10% below Vd is safer than 5% below Vd. Vne = 0.9 X Vd (FAR/JAR 23), dive speed Vd determined emperically and is a function of design cruising...
Forum: Soaring November 1st 19, 09:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Ventus 2c maintenance manual

On Thursday, October 31, 2019 at 9:19:16 AM UTC-5, BobWa43 wrote:
Can anyone tell me where I might find a maintenance manual for a Ventus 2c?

Many soaring sites that offer glider rentals will have...
Forum: Soaring October 31st 19, 05:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Gliding risk....

Interesting stats. Counts of friends I've lost a few different ways:

- gliding: 25

After the first few friends I lost in gliding, I wrote this (recently reprinted in Soaring):
Forum: Soaring October 26th 19, 10:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Looking for articles on flying OLC. Performance optimization.

From OLC, you can download anyone's log into flight review software such as Naviter's SeeYou in 2D or 3D (free version available https://www.naviter.com/products/seeyou/). With SeeYou one is able to...
Forum: Soaring October 26th 19, 10:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Looking for articles on flying OLC. Performance optimization.

On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 1:20:34 PM UTC-5, Mike N. wrote:
I am looking for articles / videos on how to compete well on OLC.

How to get the best scoring, What type of tasks are better...
Forum: Soaring October 25th 19, 02:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Looking for articles on flying OLC. Performance optimization.

On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 2:47:58 PM UTC-5, Bob Youngblood wrote:
On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 3:32:00 PM UTC-4, Mike N. wrote:
While funny, neither of these replies are helpful.
Forum: Soaring October 25th 19, 02:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Looking for articles on flying OLC. Performance optimization.

On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 1:20:34 PM UTC-5, Mike N. wrote:
I am looking for articles / videos on how to compete well on OLC.

How to get the best scoring, What type of tasks are better...
Forum: Soaring October 5th 19, 01:06 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Can only CFIs teach flying?

Of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQGFLxadGiM
Forum: Soaring September 30th 19, 03:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
1-26E Aerobatics

On Sunday, September 29, 2019 at 1:12:48 PM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
Schweizer Aircraft Service Bulletin SA-003 is clear. "Schweizer Aircraft Corporation DOES NOT APPROVE OR RECOMMEND that aerobatics of...
Forum: Soaring September 16th 19, 11:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Pawnee Tow Release

Good point; the one of interest to us had earlier been incorrectly categorized as "Normal" which the FAA since corrected to read "Restricted; aerial advertising, Other- Banner Tow, Glider Tow". The...
Forum: Soaring September 16th 19, 04:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Pawnee Tow Release

It's an "R" model and I can forward you the FAA form 337 paperwork they have on file for the engine if you want. Thanks for the useful tips; we'll follow up.
Mike