Forum: Soaring August 17th 18, 12:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pawnee Fuel Tank Question

www.johnstonaircraft.com/
Forum: Soaring August 15th 18, 03:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra Trailer Part Needed

Carve one out of a wood 2x4. Plus, I doubt any "critters" will make it past the damper mechanism. A couple of layers of Gorilla tape will also work.
Forum: Soaring August 14th 18, 03:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flying with Parachutes

Having a chute needing one not having one

Yeah, yeah. I know. I screwed that one up. Sorry.

Better to have a chute and not need it than to need one and not have it.

I was always better at...
Forum: Soaring August 14th 18, 02:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flying with Parachutes

Having a chute needing one not having one

Do the math.

Any questions?

Send them to someone who can explain simple concepts. Like your kindergartner teacher.
Forum: Soaring August 8th 18, 02:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Centrair Pegase in the US

At about the time that the AMOC was going to be issued, the savethepegasus.org website was not updated any longer. There is a lot more to the story, but since some sort of "victory" was imminent, we...
Forum: Soaring August 7th 18, 02:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Centrair Pegase in the US

The 3000 hour life limit Airworthiness Directive issued in 2005 has been superseded by a Global Alternate Means of Compliance (AMOC) that authorizes an additional 1500 hours of life, provided the...
Forum: Soaring August 4th 18, 02:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kawa leading.....again.

"I doubt he makes any money flying or flying contests."

Garrett Willat had a bumper sticker:

"Glider Pilots do it for the girls and the prize money"

Right up there with the "I believe in UFOs" and...
Forum: Soaring July 31st 18, 02:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Silent Skies

And no, I didn’t lose, I don’t live in your uncivilised ********.

Been to Australia many times (your own personal ********) but I had a great time, enjoyed myself immensely, made a lot of...
Forum: Soaring July 29th 18, 03:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Libelle 201 Canopy

And the adventure begins.....

Looks simple. It is not.

Good luck!
Forum: Soaring July 27th 18, 03:06 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
A complicated question about LiFePO4 batteries, - and switching.

Let's get something straight. I am NOT going to bail out if I lose the battery, OK? But IF the panel goes out when I am 100 miles away from the home 'drome, and it's getting late in the day, I don't...
Forum: Soaring July 26th 18, 03:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
A complicated question about LiFePO4 batteries, - and switching.

There's a lot to be said for reducing component count.

Yes, there is a definite charm to single point-of-failure systems.

But charm don't count when the failure occurs and you are out of backups...
Forum: Soaring July 25th 18, 03:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
US team silence

On Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 7:45:14 PM UTC-6, Charlie Quebec wrote:
i love the sight of whining in the morning, it sounds like victory.
LMAO

OK, THAT'S funny. I am going to steal it immediately...
Forum: Soaring July 24th 18, 04:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
US team silence

Hamilton knows exactly where Vettel is due to the sophisticated communications between the Team Manager and the Driver. Plus, they are on the same circuit and generally in close visual range....
Forum: Soaring July 24th 18, 03:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rescue Aid

My Dad used to advise taking along a deck of cards. Lay out a game of Solitaire and within three minutes someone would be looking over your shoulder, telling you to play the black 10 on the red Jack.
Forum: Soaring July 19th 18, 03:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Home built trailer for old glass ship

Steve- I doubt anyone will be willing to pay what I would have to charge. I'd need to resurrect the tooling, much of which was tossed when I quit building trailers.
Forum: Soaring July 19th 18, 03:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Home built trailer for old glass ship

Having built over 40 enclosed trailers based on the Schreder/Minden Fabrication design concept, I can offer some insight. The Phoebus has a very large wing, with a thick airfoil and very wide chord...
Forum: Soaring July 9th 18, 01:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Trailer shade

Plenty of temporary shelters on the web. Found this one in ten seconds by searching for temporary tents. This one is a bit short at 26 ft. but you get the...
Forum: Soaring July 4th 18, 01:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Opinions on NASA lift theory?

The Handley-Page "Victor" has to be in the running for "Top...
Forum: Soaring June 30th 18, 03:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Emergency Exit

Why not just install a ballistic recovery chute in the glider? That's a lot cleaner solution and saves your butt at a lot lower altitude than bailing out.

Because "just installing" a ballistic...
Forum: Soaring June 29th 18, 02:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Emergency Exit

"Pushing the stick forward after pulling the tow release, and before initiating the turn, is asking for trouble."

You just contradicted yourself. What are you suggesting? Pull the stick BACK and...
Forum: Soaring June 29th 18, 02:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shazam!

From my experiences in hang gliding way back in the past, and modern cockpits in sailplanes, I discovered that malfunctioning instruments and no radio definitely make you focus.

"When a man knows...
Forum: Soaring June 25th 18, 01:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Libelle

I have built a number of wing wheels and WingRiggers for both the 201 and 301. I can definitely say that the airfoils are very different. The 201 is thicker, with more curvature on the bottom.
Forum: Soaring June 23rd 18, 04:53 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Round vs Square E-Chute

To quote my rigger, when asked about a round vs. squa

"A Round will get you down. A Square will get you there."

His opinion is that a square, with better directional control and a lower descent...
Forum: Soaring June 22nd 18, 02:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
A complicated question about LiFePO4 batteries, - and switching.

Because there are very few panel mount fuse holders available with built-
in LED indicators?

How many do you...
Forum: Soaring June 22nd 18, 02:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring