Search: Posts made by: john hawkins
Forum: Owning September 6th 10, 02:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By john hawkins
FAA whistleblower

I don't know a thing about it yet, but this whistleblower case in the FAA
sure has the potential to become interesting.

"I inform my then-supervisor, Anne Bechdolt, Acting Manager, Operations Law...
Forum: Soaring July 18th 09, 03:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By john hawkins
Best winch metrics - what is the best winch operationally?

I would love to see wich operations at local GA aiports but seems to me the
length required (3X the expected altitude) is a problem. Currently I fly out
of a 2500 ft strip. there is amybe 500 ft...
Forum: Simulators July 4th 09, 05:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.simulators
Posted By john hawkins
This group

try alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim

"the world according to me" wrote in message
Jack Schmidling wrote:
After getting my...
Forum: Soaring June 5th 09, 03:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By john hawkins
Winch Launching in US

I have recently started gliding again after a long absense. I no longer have
funds to support my power plane habit and am soaring as less expensive means
of getting airborne. I am surprised to see...
Forum: Soaring October 20th 07, 02:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By john hawkins
UAV Crash in Arizona (Long)

Arizona is not theonly UAV program. see

Submarine Force Tests UAV Technology to Enhance Force Protection
Story Number: NNS050331-02
Release Date: 3/31/2005 2:00:00 PM

By Journalist 2nd Class...
Forum: Piloting October 9th 07, 03:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By john hawkins
FAA ADS-B Out NPRM needs to be drastically changed

Based on historical FAA performance on modernization, what makes anyone
think that ADS-B will be ready to be implemented by 2020 or even 2050? I'm
glad the AOPA is keeping us aware of whats going...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules October 7th 07, 11:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By john hawkins
IFR Refresher info?

I got my PPL in Florida and a few years later moved to Texas. When I got my
first checkout in TX it was blowing 25 Knts. I was astounded that anyone
would fly in such winds. After a year of Texas...
Forum: Piloting October 3rd 07, 07:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By john hawkins
Boeing gives Chicago $10-million

I hope Airbus kicks their butt

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

In light of Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley's March 31, 2003...
Forum: Piloting October 3rd 07, 03:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By john hawkins
Sport Pilot Instructor instruction & checkride questions

Thanks Guys.
I think you have identified the problem, Yes I am teaching myself.

I will spend a LOT more time on learning how to be an instructor by reading
the FAA Holy scrolls, Kershner, Robert...
Forum: Piloting September 29th 07, 03:42 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By john hawkins
Sport Pilot Instructor instruction & checkride questions

I'm attempting to become a sport pilot instructor with the intent of giving
tailwheel checkouts for a guy that owns a Champ.
so far I have taken and passed the knowledge test (FOI and Sport pilot)....
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules September 25th 07, 03:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Posted By john hawkins
Going for my Multiengine rating

I'm not sure what gender has to do with it. I know that my daugher, who is a
competion horse rider can toss hay bales around a whole lot better than I
can. and i can flare and land a nose heavy A36...
Forum: Owning September 25th 07, 03:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Posted By john hawkins
Going for my Multiengine rating

I'm not sure what gender has to do with it. I know that my daugher, who is a
competion horse rider can toss hay bales around a whole lot better than I
can. and i can flare and land a nose heavy A36...
Forum: Piloting September 25th 07, 03:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Posted By john hawkins
Going for my Multiengine rating

I'm not sure what gender has to do with it. I know that my daugher, who is a
competion horse rider can toss hay bales around a whole lot better than I
can. and i can flare and land a nose heavy A36...
Forum: Soaring September 22nd 07, 02:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By john hawkins
NYT soaring article

I nearly fell over! New York Times! Intelligent writing about aviation(
from a layperson), an upbeat story about aviation! General Aviation!!
Soaring!!!! What is the world coming to?

Why soon...
Forum: Owning September 22nd 07, 01:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By john hawkins
Cover thoughts

At last! An honest Man.
Diogenes can put his candle out
Very refreshing to see\

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
Forum: Piloting September 19th 07, 02:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By john hawkins
Health Regulations and the Sports License

Well for one thing, your medical is your student pilot license.

"mdginzo" wrote in message
[snip]
What is going...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules September 19th 07, 02:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By john hawkins
Practicing my scan

I also use MSFS for getting my head in the game. I 've never tried a yoke,
just a joystick. I have flown IRL with both stick and yoke so don't mind
using the joystick.

Trim is a bitch. I...
Forum: Piloting September 16th 07, 08:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By john hawkins
Knowlwdge test Sign offs

yup and $90 each test.
I guess sport pilots are just so stupid they j have to be protected from
themselves

wrote in message...
Forum: Owning September 14th 07, 08:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By john hawkins
Foolish Buyer Tricks

Ah. We always call it schaeffer time.

"Jon Woellhaf" wrote in message
According to Wikipedia,
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules September 12th 07, 12:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By john hawkins
Vacuum pump power source?

What ever happened to the god old venturi. Sure they could ice up Hasn't
anyone come up with a heated venturi (other than placing it the exhaust
streram)?
I got my rating in an old cessan that ran...
Forum: Piloting September 11th 07, 02:29 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By john hawkins
Slow Flight

Damn!! Dudley you have a way with words! What a great concept.

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
snip
.. If you have been...
Forum: Piloting September 9th 07, 08:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By john hawkins
New student pilot

You're sport pilot instructor?
Please post about the check ride. I' working on mine and wonder how much is
really covered on the check ride and how precidse you have to be. In the
rear seat of the...
Forum: Piloting September 7th 07, 01:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By john hawkins
cost of sport pilot checkride?

Nope I'm not a CFI. And when I finally get my sport pilot instructor
certifcate I won't be any closer to a CFI. The difference in requirements is
considerable.

"Robert M. Gary" ...
Forum: Piloting September 4th 07, 02:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By john hawkins
req: CFI job advice

Right on Dudley!

I was taught that way and I did a "full" preflight every time unless the
airplane was not out of my sight from the time I parked it until the tile I
went back out to...
Forum: Piloting September 3rd 07, 12:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By john hawkins
cost of sport pilot checkride?

Thanks for replys I've gotten so far. I'm located in St Marys GA just over
the border from Florida.

I need to qualify what I am looking for a little more. I have the
opportunity to do tailwheel...