Search: Posts made by: Dan Marotta
Forum: Soaring September 21st 20, 09:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
What have we learned from all this?

I just don't feel like flying my glider in these smoky skies. Visibility
around Moriarty is only around 15 miles and we're used to 100+ mile
visibility.* Yesterday, as I ate lunch in the Sundance...
Forum: Soaring September 20th 20, 09:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Refinishing ASW24

How about posting some pictures, Bob.* Of the '24, not you... :-D

Dan

On 9/20/2020 2:09 PM, wrote:
On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 5:40:31 PM UTC-4, ...
Forum: Soaring September 18th 20, 07:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Cleaning old bugs

A Bounce Dryer is a nuclear fueled clothes dryer which is suspended from
the ceiling of the lead-lined laundry room.* In operation with an
unbalanced load, the dryer tends to bounce up and down....
Forum: Soaring September 18th 20, 07:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
CAUTION - Active Scam Attempt on W&W Classifieds

Why not have them incur some travel costs?* To a place in, say, East
Armpit Oklahoma?

On 9/17/2020 4:33 PM, 2G wrote:
On Thursday, September 17, 2020 at 2:58:22 PM UTC-7, Eric Bick (DY)...
Forum: Soaring September 18th 20, 07:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Hero, Garmin or OTHER?

....And then there's the Garmin 396 that came with the Stemme.* Turns out
you have to turn it on to keep the coin battery charged.* Once that one
died, the unit would not lock on to satellites.*...
Forum: Soaring September 18th 20, 12:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Cleaning old bugs

Wet.* Works great!

I used them on the windshield of my Harley but I don't think I'd try
them on my canopy.* Leading edges, yes.

On 9/17/2020 7:17 AM, Roy B. wrote:
Bounce dryer sheets. The...
Forum: Soaring September 18th 20, 12:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Hero, Garmin or OTHER?

Not about cameras, but about rotten customer service.

Ever since my Garmin Pilot software running on an iPad in quit in /_mid
flight_/ with a statement that my subscription had expired, I won't buy...
Forum: Soaring September 17th 20, 12:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Very astute, Eric.

On 9/16/2020 3:20 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
It's not just the engine that may malfunction, but the pilot might
make a mistake.

--
Dan, 5J
Forum: Soaring September 17th 20, 12:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bounce dryer sheets.* The bugs melt away.* I learned this trick from my
motorcycling.

I keep a garden sprayer filled with pure, clean water in the hangar.*
After a flight, I spray the leading...
Forum: Soaring September 16th 20, 09:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Best Overall Motorglider available today?

We owned one for a couple of years.* It's very light and was a handful
at Moriarty during our windier months.* It will thermal and gain
altitude, but not with a sailplane.* It's a great cruiser,...
Forum: Soaring September 16th 20, 09:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Patti and I sat in a Taurus and, while we liked the idea, it was pretty
lightly built.* Plus it was too simple.* I'd go to sleep from not having
to monitor any "systems".* Not like the spawn of...
Forum: Soaring September 16th 20, 09:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Best Overall Motorglider available today?

The Stemme /can/ be a touring motorglider if you want to fly it that
way.* I prefer to fly mine as a self launching glider with a rock solid,
/certificated,/ engine for self retrieve.* It has...
Forum: Soaring September 16th 20, 08:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Pulse Oximetry with new Apple Watch 6

How did we live so long without these $1,200 do-dads?

My $40 Casio watch still tells time after 30 years...

On 9/16/2020 8:30 AM, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
Forum: Soaring September 15th 20, 09:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Stemme.* Except for acquisition cost...

On 9/15/2020 12:34 PM, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 2:28:37 PM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Something thats available used this...
Forum: Soaring September 15th 20, 03:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
What have we learned from all this?

I have a friend, a retired physician, whose wife contracted the virus
(she survived).* From his description, her symptoms were absolutely
horrible and lasted for two weeks.* He thinks he caught...
Forum: Soaring September 14th 20, 12:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
skylines.aero up or down ?

I haven't been able to connect to skylines all day.

On 9/13/2020 12:23 PM, Patrick (LS6-b EH) wrote:
Oh noes!!

--
Dan, 5J
Forum: Soaring September 13th 20, 03:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hello Zoltan,

You might also look into pipeline patrol.* These folks fly low level
along gas and oil pipelines looking for evidence of leaks.* That might
be a lot of fun in the beginning but it...
Forum: Soaring September 13th 20, 03:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Paraglider pilot missing in eastern Nevada

Have they found the lost pilot yet?

On 9/13/2020 3:34 AM, David Shelton wrote:
There's an FCC exemption in place for members of the US Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association. This allows...
Forum: Soaring September 13th 20, 03:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Does ANyone have a used Nano2 or nano3 ?

Try XCSoar or similar on your cell phone.* Free.

On 9/12/2020 10:11 PM, Akin Okegbile wrote:
Budget Novice pilot looking for a used Filght recorder.

--
Dan, 5J
Forum: Soaring September 11th 20, 04:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Is it possible to download .XCM file from Skysight?* I'm looking but
can't find any way.

On 9/11/2020 12:29 AM, Alan Wilson wrote:
On Monday, 10 August 2020 at 14:53:09 UTC+10, ...
Forum: Soaring September 10th 20, 05:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Powersonic "Smart Battery" tested

Hook up one of THESE...
Forum: Soaring September 8th 20, 06:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
COBRA Anti-Sway Coupler

I wonder if this would sway... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6HOXghLG94

On 9/8/2020 5:08 AM, RR wrote:
One adisional factor is the distance of the hitch from the rear axle. Less is more. In a...
Forum: Soaring September 8th 20, 06:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Flight Log Not Complete

Touche'

On 9/7/2020 5:56 PM, kinsell wrote:
Ummm, you were quite concerned about it when it was YOUR flight logs
that were corrupt.* I guess it's no big deal unless it's YOUR flight log?

Forum: Soaring September 7th 20, 05:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Flight Log Not Complete

....So he had to sleep alone that night?* Sheesh...* It's beginning to
look like one's manhood hangs on the approval of OLC...

On 9/6/2020 10:02 PM, kinsell wrote:
On 9/6/20 5:00 AM,...
Forum: Soaring September 5th 20, 03:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Flight Log Not Complete

Yes, and if you have another logger, use it!* I have had one fail and
simply downloaded the other one.* Does whatever vario you use with your
LX have a flight recorder?* OLC is not world record...