Forum: Soaring June 6th 18, 05:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Here we go again

If you think ridiculous arguments about gliders and soaring started with RAS go back and read Soaring magazine through the 60's and 70's. The letters section had some pretty amazing stuff. The...
Forum: Soaring June 4th 18, 09:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5th year of living dangerously with LiFePo4 batteries

I know of one glider here in Canada which burnt up while in the trailer as a result of a metal rigging aid falling onto the battery (placed in the trailer's cargo area) and shorting it out. I also...
Forum: Soaring May 28th 18, 08:01 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Good lubricant for assembly

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 6:34:36 AM UTC-7, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
I'm trying to find a good lubricant for assembly, available in Europe. Any ideas? Currently using regular vaseline.

If the...
Forum: Soaring May 28th 18, 07:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kestrel 19 info wanted.

"modified to have a double-panel spoiler, but it wasn't approved for general use and apparently didn't do much except make more noise"

Is more airbrake really needed on a Kestrel? I've never had a...
Forum: Soaring May 25th 18, 09:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pitot system - odd event

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 9:27:39 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 11:23:52 AM UTC-4, wrote:
This happened on my ASW-15 a few years back -...
Forum: Soaring May 25th 18, 04:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pitot system - odd event

This happened on my ASW-15 a few years back - when it was stored in the locked trailer in a garage over the winter. It was fine on the last flight of the year at the end of October and when I took it...
Forum: Soaring May 14th 18, 08:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
A Simple Question About LiFePO4 Batteries

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 12:37:03 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Not to start another chapter in "Battery Wars" but I have a simple question about "drop in" LiFePO4 battery replacements for...
Forum: Soaring May 13th 18, 10:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Better self rigging system

On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 3:48:50 AM UTC-7, Steve Cameron wrote:
I'm sure someone has come up with a much more user friendly system for self rigging vs. what I'm currently doing. My new to me...
Forum: Soaring May 13th 18, 09:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scotch tape

On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 8:39:52 PM UTC-7, ASM wrote:
I used to buy 1” tape to seal my wing/fuselage and the rest from Uline. Inside of the roll the only thing it says is 3M Scotch. Does...
Forum: Soaring May 10th 18, 02:58 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glide computer in certified glider

If the glider was built in Germany there's probably also a TN from the manufacturer giving guidance on installing equipment. Linked as an example is the one Schleicher provides. This sort of thing...
Forum: Soaring May 10th 18, 02:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glide computer in certified glider

"A savvy A&P with a pen."

Probably the best advice here. Even under Transport Canada's somewhat pickier reign all I've ever needed with this sort of installation is the sign off in the log book of...
Forum: Soaring April 25th 18, 06:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phoebus A as a first glider

The wings are often crisscrossed on older glider trailers in general. And they frequently put the wings in tip first so you have to walk the heaviest part of the wing the longest distance. I think...
Forum: Soaring April 25th 18, 06:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tapered pins (again)

On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 7:10:49 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Helped the new owner beat his 27 together, last Sunday.............he looked shocked when I suggested he "taper" at least...
Forum: Soaring April 16th 18, 08:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
EASA AD on SZD-55-1 "ATA 27 – Flight Controls – Elevator Control System / Vertical Tail – Inspection" Issued

There's one in our club and it passed the inspection. Actually I would be interested to know if any 55's except the accident glider have had the opening on top of the fin enlarged as it did. I'm...
Forum: Soaring April 16th 18, 08:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phoebus A as a first glider

First off, get someone who knows what they're doing to perform a thorough pre purchase inspection. Type specific experience is a plus but anyone who knows composite gliders well and is willing to...
Forum: Soaring April 2nd 18, 06:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
L-23 for sale again

My experience with LET gliders suggests that going for the plain anodized finish is a better idea than getting them to paint the ship. Anodized aluminium isn't the easiest thing to get paint to stick...
Forum: Soaring April 2nd 18, 06:52 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Proposed SZD-55 EASA AD now out for comment - "Flight Controls – Elevator Control System / Vertical Tail – Inspection"

"When I bought my SZD glider, I found that the previous owner had removed ~10 lbs of factory installed lead ballast from the nose. The ballast mount location was hidden behind an access panel."

Was...
Forum: Soaring March 15th 18, 06:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
First glider to buy 10-20k euro's

All of the gliders you mention are good. You're not oversized so you should be comfortable in a Libelle. The DG's and the LS are fine ships but there is the service contract - I don't have a problem...
Forum: Soaring January 21st 18, 09:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looping a standard cirrus

"Looping a competition glider makes as much sense as turning the engine off on a Pawnee and trying to soar it."

Wow, too bad no one told Oscar Boesch that before he spent all those years doing...
Forum: Soaring January 7th 18, 07:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lubricant for spar pins

Aeroshell 33. I've only seen one glider manual that said anything more specific than something like "use a non cold-coagulating grease" and if I recall correctly it was the L33 my club used to own...
Forum: Soaring December 14th 17, 07:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ADS-B Update

There's someone in my club (we're Canadian but he's thinking of doing a fair amount of soaring in the U.S. in the future now that he has his own ship) who is considering transponder installation and...
Forum: Soaring November 22nd 17, 11:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Next glider, ownership costs question?

If the gelcoat on a composite glider is shot it will cost quit a bit to refinish it. Even doing it the "cheap" way by just sanding down the old finish and spraying polyurethane over it will cost a...
Forum: Soaring September 17th 17, 08:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
L-13 AMOC

On Friday, July 7, 2017 at 9:10:53 PM UTC-7, Frank Whiteley wrote:
http://www.ssa.org/GovernmentLiaison?show=blog&id=4431

Good news for anyone in the U.S. with a nice, fairly low time L-13! The...
Forum: Soaring September 7th 17, 12:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PW-5 longitudinal pitch oscillation

I didn't notice anything unusual on my one PW-5 flight in Invermere years ago - I found it an all around nice handling ship. The relatively light wingloading made for an exciting ride in the strong...
Forum: Soaring September 5th 17, 06:23 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
New PowerFLARM firmware 6.40

The firmware update went smoothly today and I found out that the reduced Flarm detection range was indeed due to a boneheaded slip when I made a new configuration file at the beginning of the year.