A few newbie questions about the sport by [email protected]
A short while ago my daughter was considering joining a local Civil Air Patrol chapter, while attending the meetings with her I began to be interested in Gliding. I'm in NJ. If someone could help me with a few basic questions, I'd really appreciate it: 1. What is the average ground speed of a...
by POPS Go to last post
27 91 Soaring
Marfa Gliders is NOT closing! by Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas
Burt here. I'm NOT retiring, I just downsizing my fleet, selling a hangar, offering my collection of vintage music instruments for sale, specifically: My beautifully restored 1946 Piper J-3 Cub (low-time C-85 HP.) Grove brakes, new spars, new prop, etc. Schempp-Hirth Standard Cirrus, low time,...
Towpilot Needed in So Cal by Greg Arnold[_2_]
Windhaven Glider Rides in Santa Ynez, California (close to Santa Barbara) is looking for a summer towpilot. Busy ride operation in tourist area. Need someone to tow one to five days during the week. Free lodging. Our planes are a Pawnee and Scout. Contact the owner, Gary Gordon, at...
Yesterday 05:12 PM
by CindyB[_2_] Go to last post
1 348 Soaring
stowing horizontal stabilizer on tail boom in trailer by [email protected]
I have seen a glider trailer in which the aircraft's horizontal stabilizer is strapped to the glider's tail boom for storage and transport. I can't recall where I saw this, and a google image search did not yield any hits. At any rate, strapping the horizontal stabilizer to the tail boom is one...
by Dan Marotta Go to last post
21 157 Soaring
Soaring in or around Maidenhead UK by John Huthmaker
I am heading to England this afternoon for work. I'll be staying in Maidenhead for about a week. If I have any free time, it would be awesome to get in the air. Can anyone recommend a place I could get some glider time in that would be relatively nearby?
by Jim White[_3_] Go to last post
11 33 Soaring
Anti-collision strobe lights by Gerry Simpson
Does anyone have knowledge of documented studies showing the efficacy of the strobe light bars which are available to be installed in the leading edges of the vertical stabilizers on gliders? Is there anything beyond anecdotal experience to support their use to improve visibility to other aircraft...
Yesterday 02:36 PM
by kirk.stant Go to last post
7 41 Soaring
Vario Comparison by [email protected]
Hi- I've searched the archives of this oft-discussed topic, but am not finding specific answers I'm seeking. If you have good experience or knowledge about the specific issues below, I would much appreciate your insights. 1) Latency with accuracy. What is the quickest vario with accuracy? Are...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Yesterday 05:06 AM
by Charlie Quebec Go to last post
64 673 Soaring
For sale: Clearnav club vario. by [email protected]
I have a Clearnav club vario surplus to requirements. It has an analog pointer and comes with ADC, speaker, GPS aerial, on/off switch and can be easily upgraded to the x/c version. It's in excellent condition and ready to go. $1000 usd including freight from New Zealand.
Yesterday 01:56 AM