Forum: Soaring January 19th 19, 03:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soaring Videos Wanted!

OK. This is the only rap I like. Google Brian Williams Rap for more like this.

https://vimeo.com/99802660
Forum: Soaring January 19th 19, 03:04 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soaring Videos Wanted!

Herb-

Germans cannot rap. I wish Americans couldn't either, but at least we do it better than the Krauts. Not saying a lot, as I think all rap is pestilent.

You aren't too good at humor, either. Is...
Forum: Soaring January 16th 19, 04:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Source for L'Hotellier Safety Clips

The original post was about getting just the safety pins to secure the l'Hotellier ball locking attachment, NOT the actual l'Hotellier fitting itself.
The tiny hairpins that go through the lock hole...
Forum: Soaring January 13th 19, 07:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mylar Not Sticking

Temperature when applying the tape is also a factor. If it is winter when you attempt to replace the tape, try to at least get the surfaces warm so the adhesive has a better chance to "flow" and...
Forum: Soaring January 12th 19, 04:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Check out "Dr Jack BLIPMAP Viewer" android US only

Updated app. No change. Still crashes on startup. Uninstalled, reinstalled app. Works first time, then crashes on subsequent attempts.

Samsung J320V. Android 7.1.1

Hope you can get the bugs worked...
Forum: Soaring January 9th 19, 05:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Check out "Dr Jack BLIPMAP Viewer" android US only

Great job! Works nicely on a Samsung SM-J320V. Gonna be helpful this summer.

Spoke too soon. The app now crashes every time on startup. Hope you can fix this, as I think it has great potential....
Forum: Soaring January 9th 19, 03:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Check out "Dr Jack BLIPMAP Viewer" android US only

Great job! Works nicely on a Samsung SM-J320V. Gonna be helpful this summer.
Forum: Soaring January 9th 19, 12:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
pure gliders with ads b?

I heard once the F.A.A motto, We're not happy until You're not happy.
Cheers.

Also: "We at the FAA have upped our standards. Up yours."
Forum: Soaring January 8th 19, 04:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
How to Make a Poor Man's Spar Alignment Tool

I've got one of the Z5 eccentric tools, and its a great help. But it can only be inserted when the wings are within about ΒΌ" from closure. It would be even better if more eccentricity was present,...
Forum: Soaring January 8th 19, 12:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Compass repair

DC-

It's a long shot, but you might try contacting UMA Instruments.(umainstruments.com) They manufacture some really nice aircraft instrumentation and are reportedly very nice, helpful people who...
Forum: Soaring January 7th 19, 10:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
How to Make a Poor Man's Spar Alignment Tool

Steve Bralla manufactured the "Z5" eccentric tool for several years before losing access to the machine tools needed for fabricating them. He kindly offered the rights to me a couple of years ago. I...
Forum: Soaring January 6th 19, 10:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Passing of Derek Piggott

I was privileged to meet Mr. Piggott in 2000 at the SSA convention in Albuquerque. He was to give a presentation, and had informally inquired of the planning committee (of which I was a small part)...
Forum: Soaring January 4th 19, 03:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
pure gliders with ads b?

I attended the the AOPA Fly-in at Santa Fe this year and spoke to both the Trig representative and some knowledgeable FAA folks about the ADS-B options for certified gliders vs. those with...
Forum: Soaring January 3rd 19, 03:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
13 meter class

The PW-5 and Russia are definitely "world class".

Only if everyone else at the field is blind. Looking at either one is painful.
Forum: Soaring January 3rd 19, 03:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Winching - Reverse Auto Tow

Karl-

Apparently, you have figured out the solution for your operation. I can only offer one suggestion:

Bluetooth.

According to Dr. Sheldon Cooper on the "Big Bang Theory." everything is better...
Forum: Soaring December 24th 18, 07:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

They got whacked initially by the Soviets, whereupon they did some serious whacking back. First punch is what I was referring to.
Forum: Soaring December 24th 18, 03:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

Hey, careful there. I'm Germish.

I was being careful. Oh, and it was 1944 before the Finns joined against the Germs. They were whacked by the Soviets in 1939. Fought against them on the German...
Forum: Soaring December 24th 18, 03:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

The Finnish never had any quarrels with the Polish, but now they are done? Explain, please.

In 1939, the Finns and Poles were inflicted with some quarrelsome Germs. Finally got over it in 1945.
Forum: Soaring December 19th 18, 10:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Anyone test fly both the JS3 and the Ventus 3?

I think a more typical FAI solution would be to add new classes for tall pilots. 18m-tall and 18m-short.

How about a "one design" contest? You know, where there is one of each model of glider (V3,...
Forum: Soaring December 11th 18, 08:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
It's winter ....

Nice movie - best enjoyed muted! What on earth was the sound-guy responsible for this production smoking??

Uli
'AS'

I believe that was a metric soundtrack.
Forum: Soaring December 4th 18, 02:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

commercial guide coat will work great, I just had the sharpie on hand.

And hopefully, another box of sandpaper.
Forum: Soaring November 25th 18, 03:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pilot certificate required?

On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 7:09:39 PM UTC-7, Charles Longley wrote:
So can you put a non rated person (passenger) in an optionally piloted aircraft?

Ballast
Forum: Soaring November 24th 18, 10:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pilot certificate required?

On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 1:33:37 PM UTC-7, Sierra Whiskey wrote:
If it takes one crew member to fly, then that crew member is required. Otherwise it will be an "optionally piloted"...
Forum: Soaring November 24th 18, 03:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MIT's Ion-drive sustainer takes flight

What we *really* need is the traditional Science Fiction Thruster unit -
and the Rotax-sized fusion reactor that powers it.

Got it, Martin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptlhgFaB89Y
Forum: Soaring November 14th 18, 03:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
New LAK 17C

the sleigh's C.G. too far aft. Will ship it "batteries not included".
ME: But what's an FES without FES?
SANTA: A glider!....HO, HO, HO!

*Sigh*

Winter is upon us again, RAS goes down the drain...