Search: Posts made by: Tony[_5_]
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 02:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tony[_5_]
Ventus 3 price

If you have to ask...

It's pretty common not to publicly list prices. Contact your local S-H agent.
Forum: Soaring March 2nd 19, 05:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tony[_5_]
2019 SSA handicap list

Yes, fixed ballast is acceptable in sports class. But you have to fly the same weight every day of the contest.
Forum: Soaring March 2nd 19, 05:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tony[_5_]
2019 SSA handicap list

They should have adjusted your handicap based on flying weight. Some contests use provided weight, some have scales.
Forum: Soaring February 28th 19, 08:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tony[_5_]
2019 SSA handicap list

flying 165 lbs heavier ought to make the glider go faster?
Forum: Soaring February 28th 19, 08:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tony[_5_]
2019 SSA handicap list

the reference weight for the B is 30 lbs higher.
Forum: Soaring February 28th 19, 04:07 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tony[_5_]
2019 SSA handicap list

Yes. https://www.ssa.org/ContestHandicaps
Forum: Soaring February 27th 19, 04:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tony[_5_]
Tow rope musings - informal survey

Have you seen Lithuanian cars and trailers?
Forum: Soaring February 12th 19, 12:31 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tony[_5_]
RIP 271

Jim was an early inspiration to me as a fellow upper midwest low performance XC pilot. He set a good example not only stretching out cross country in his 1-26 as often as possible but also...
Forum: Soaring February 3rd 19, 02:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tony[_5_]
US Handicap Weight Adjustment White Paper

I was thinking about dry handicapped classes.
Forum: Soaring February 2nd 19, 07:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tony[_5_]
US Handicap Weight Adjustment White Paper

I think the true best way to ensure fairness wrt weight would be to greet pilots after landing. This is how Motorsports regulate, through post race inspection.
Forum: Soaring January 27th 19, 10:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tony[_5_]
Wright Brothers Master Pilots

An interesting metric for a glider club would be ratio of wright brothers master pilots to SSA youth Members...
Forum: Soaring January 27th 19, 07:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tony[_5_]
Wright Brothers Master Pilots

I think Kansas Soaring Association has three
Forum: Soaring January 10th 19, 03:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tony[_5_]
New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainers qualify

Pure gliders are not eligible for the rebate
Forum: Soaring January 8th 19, 11:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tony[_5_]
Adjusting the canopy frame on an Arcus M

$250k for a canopy that won't close. Daaaang.
Forum: Soaring January 1st 19, 08:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tony[_5_]
Australian Formula 1.0 Grand Prix Contest

The trackers are custom built for the contest. They seem to me to be very similar to the cell phone trackers using igc Droid or similar, but they are stand alone devices which read out GPS altitude...
Forum: Soaring December 28th 18, 08:09 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tony[_5_]
Australian Formula 1.0 Grand Prix Contest

Today I left a 9 knot climb to join a libelle in a 13 knot climb. Amazing soaring in SE Australia the last few days. Have fun following along!
Forum: Soaring December 15th 18, 01:04 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tony[_5_]
SSA Competition Rules Committee Meeting Minutes Now Available

At least get rid of the criss cross crash insanity.
Forum: Soaring November 29th 18, 03:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tony[_5_]
Solar Farm Development Near Glider Port - Problem?

Big solar farm (40 acres? 80?) just east of the airport at Uvalde. Didn't cause anyone any problems during 2016 Sports Nationals. Contrary to a the discussion in a very long thread on RAS last year,...
Forum: Soaring November 27th 18, 08:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tony[_5_]
Africa!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk5Dwg5zm2U
Forum: Soaring November 14th 18, 08:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tony[_5_]
Glider sightseeing flights

91.137 doesn't apply to gliders
Forum: Soaring November 12th 18, 06:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tony[_5_]
Auto-retracting spool for auto-towing gliders?

my cousin built me an electric powered reel for christmas a few years ago. It uses an old starter motor. A few other club members have built similar rigs but with small briggs & stratton engines....
Forum: Soaring October 16th 18, 10:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tony[_5_]
Cheaper tows?

I was flabbergasted when I saw the Corvette powered Pawnee at Narromine, and they didn't have air conditioning!
Forum: Soaring September 30th 18, 05:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tony[_5_]
The Gordon Bennett Cup 2018

Ive certainly been enjoying following along. The last few years, as I recall,were much more uniform in flight direction and both ended up being heavily influenced by the Eastern border of the EU,...
Forum: Soaring September 19th 18, 05:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Tony[_5_]
Anti-collision strobe lights

When I flew the Electro at Uvalde I ran the vertical fin strobe during the pre-start gaggle and received several positive comments about it.