Search: Posts made by: Ramy[_2_]
Forum: Soaring March 22nd 19, 08:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Ramy[_2_]
Flarm suppression of ADS-B out on Tow Planes

This sounds like an interesting possibility as the powerflarm core has a USB port. I’ll let Darryl analyze it...

Ramy
Forum: Soaring March 22nd 19, 08:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Ramy[_2_]
US Sectional Charts

Correct, the latest beta firmware has an option to change the map setting for a particular page, so you can have sectional in one page and terrain in another. Seem to work well.
BTW the latest beta...
Forum: Soaring March 22nd 19, 02:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Ramy[_2_]
US Sectional Charts

Thanks Lynn!
The CMR sectionals can also be used in LX flight computers. The latest firmware lets you easily switch between the standard terrain map to sectional chart.

Ramy
Forum: Soaring March 22nd 19, 02:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Ramy[_2_]
Flarm suppression of ADS-B out on Tow Planes

I understand powerflarm does not detect UAT due to hardware limitation. It would be great if powerflarm would provide an upgrade path to receive UAT, giving that UAT seem to get more and more popular...
Forum: Soaring March 21st 19, 06:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Ramy[_2_]
Salida, CO flying this summer?

This was an interesting day...It was only 5 years ago I think. We are still young :)
There is a chance I may be interested in Salida as well for few days in the beginning of July.

Ramy
Forum: Soaring March 20th 19, 04:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Ramy[_2_]
Flarm suppression of ADS-B out on Tow Planes

Andy, I know of two mid airs between a tow plane and the glider it just released. One luckily just exchanged some paint, the other was fatal to both pilots. So I would hope and expect the suppression...
Forum: Soaring March 20th 19, 12:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Ramy[_2_]
Flarm suppression of ADS-B out on Tow Planes

For those towing behind tow planes equipped...
Forum: Soaring March 14th 19, 03:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Ramy[_2_]
FLARM and ADS-B and PCAS Traffic Display on PC

At least on my Dell Streak the flarm and ADSB (but not PCAS) targets are showing in the moving map as tiny small blue arrows. There may be a setting to enable this, don’t recall of the top of my...
Forum: Soaring March 10th 19, 07:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Ramy[_2_]
Bad day in San Diego!

And the Jacumba accident happened 6 years ago in 2013. I don’t find anything in the news about a more recent accident in Jacumba.

Ramy
Forum: Soaring February 27th 19, 04:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Ramy[_2_]
high tow vs low tow

Sounds to me that this method of staying low in ground effect for low tow position will increase the time we spend in the dangerous zone below 200 feet, in addition to transitioning through the wake...
Forum: Soaring February 18th 19, 04:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Ramy[_2_]
CUB Format on soaringdata.info (mostly US)

Thanks Lynn! I was looking forward for this since I started using LXNAV!

Ramy
Forum: Soaring February 13th 19, 05:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Ramy[_2_]
Why does OLC display wrong altitudes?

Moshe, I am not sure if correcting the start always fixes the issue, although it did for me in few cases, not sure exactly how.
Regardless, one would always check that OLC identified the release...
Forum: Soaring February 12th 19, 06:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Ramy[_2_]
Why does OLC display wrong altitudes?

I’ve seen this occasionally in my flights if the takeoff altitude was not determined correctly, or if I forgot to start the logger before the tow started. I dont recall if it is OLC or the logger...
Forum: Soaring February 6th 19, 07:58 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Ramy[_2_]
ADS-B equiped glider in USA Contests

Dan, lowering the volume is an option but increase the chance you will forget to turn the volume back up. Also not all powerflarm displays have simple volume knob, some requires to go to the menu to...
Forum: Soaring February 5th 19, 04:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Ramy[_2_]
ADS-B equiped glider in USA Contests

Powerflarm provides two type of alerts: traffic alert and collision alarm. The collision alarm is the most distracting one. I am asking them for a 10 minutes silence of the collision alalrm only....
Forum: Soaring February 4th 19, 06:26 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Ramy[_2_]
ADS-B equiped glider in USA Contests

I made a request to LXNAV to add an option to silence the ADSB alarm for 10 minutes which is the length of a typical tow. If others will make such request they will probably consider this.

Ramy
Forum: Soaring February 3rd 19, 02:46 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Ramy[_2_]
ADS-B equiped glider in USA Contests

The reality is that the increasing number of ADSB aircrafts nowadays will literally clutter your screen and audio alerts if you don’t reduce the range to something like 5 miles and 1000 feet...
Forum: Soaring January 29th 19, 07:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Ramy[_2_]
Gary Itner

Those emails are so common I am surprised anyone is still bothered by them. On the other hand, I hate seeing names as the subject line of posts and emails, as more often than not, it is bad news....
Forum: Soaring January 28th 19, 06:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Ramy[_2_]
ADS-B or just Mode S for class E airspace?

It is time to correct the misconception that powerflarm “sees” mode S transponder. It is more like sensing, not seeing. Powerflarm only gives you an alert that there is a transponder equipped...
Forum: Soaring January 22nd 19, 06:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Ramy[_2_]
Great Basin Soaring

I sure hope they look at their radars for transponder or ADSB targets before they launch those weapons. One more reason to fly with transponder, or better yet , ADSB.

Ramy
Forum: Soaring January 5th 19, 11:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Ramy[_2_]
Trig Radio + Trutrak for sale

I have couple of items for sale which I thought I'll mention here before putting on Ebay:
1 - Trig TY91 Radio dual frequency monitor in excellent condition including installation parts but does not...
Forum: Soaring November 30th 18, 07:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Ramy[_2_]
An example of why all pilots should use checklists...

Just like many similar incidents of forgetting things, I bet he used a checklist but something distracted him at a critical point and he missed a crucial item. Forgetting to hook in normally happen...
Forum: Soaring October 20th 18, 02:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Ramy[_2_]
CELEBRATING OUR 12TH BIRTHDAY

I thought they must be referrring to another accident. The one near Reno was NOT aerobatic related! We concluded this without a doubt based on many factors including interviews with eye witnesses....
Forum: Soaring October 20th 18, 01:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Ramy[_2_]
CELEBRATING OUR 12TH BIRTHDAY

I am not a subscriber but would like to know more about the Duo accident as we just had one near Reno last month.
I am sure other RAS readers would like to know as well.
It is mind boggling if...
Forum: Soaring October 15th 18, 07:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Ramy[_2_]
Garmin/InReach

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 11:31:59 AM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 10:04:47 AM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
I have the same issue.
Normally the issue is with the SSA...