Search: Posts made by: Steve Koerner
Forum: Soaring March 10th 19, 10:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
TOW PLANE Accident

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 2:24:43 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 4:03:11 PM UTC-5, Steve Koerner wrote:
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 1:27:16 PM UTC-7,...
Forum: Soaring March 10th 19, 10:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
TOW PLANE Accident

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 1:27:16 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 20, 2019 at 6:59:06 PM UTC-6, Nick Kennedy wrote:
My take after reading the NTSB report is the...
Forum: Soaring February 26th 19, 05:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
high tow vs low tow

On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 2:28:18 PM UTC-7, Cumungus wrote:
On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 7:27:25 PM UTC-8, Steve Koerner wrote:
As a US pilot, I've flown low tow a few times but mostly...
Forum: Soaring February 25th 19, 04:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
high tow vs low tow

Hank -

Do you have any thoughts on the separate problem of tow too slow with a ballasted glider? Wondering which might be better for that big problem. Maybe that problem is the same either...
Forum: Soaring February 25th 19, 04:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
high tow vs low tow

As a US pilot, I've flown low tow a few times but mostly just high tow as that is the convention here. I'm wondering what all of the trade-offs are by the two methods? Might it be time to reconsider...
Forum: Soaring December 24th 18, 10:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Vuarnet Sunglasses Commercial with LS1

Nice, but the sailboat winch scene looks really strange -- unwrapping backwards??
Forum: Soaring November 30th 18, 06:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Contest Wait list

Um, let's not be so quick to write off those retired guys with time and money at hand.

Pro sailing and pro driving are different. Sailboat racing takes a lot of the same sort of thinking...
Forum: Soaring October 28th 18, 03:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
What electronics are worth buying - PLBs

T8 has it right. I'm flabbergasted to think that there are glider pilots who would buy a PLB instead of a 2-way satellite communicator. InReach has been extremely useful to me.
Forum: Soaring October 23rd 18, 06:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
How does an aerotow rope break in two places?

It is a well known effect (hazard) that when a steel cable breaks under tension, it comes flying back, snaking all over the place. Now, steel stretches very little at failure, so this snaking is...
Forum: Soaring October 20th 18, 02:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
How does an aerotow rope break in two places?

On Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 12:35:33 AM UTC-7, Steve Koerner wrote:
On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 10:01:22 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 7:45:29 PM UTC-7, Steve...
Forum: Soaring October 20th 18, 08:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
How does an aerotow rope break in two places?

On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 10:01:22 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 7:45:29 PM UTC-7, Steve Koerner wrote:
On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 4:12:53 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
Forum: Soaring October 20th 18, 03:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
How does an aerotow rope break in two places?

On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 4:12:53 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 8:46:48 AM UTC-7, Bret Hess wrote:
Direct observation of a simultaneous break on both ends:

Forum: Soaring October 18th 18, 06:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
How does an aerotow rope break in two places?

On Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 6:38:55 PM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
True story. A couple years ago I ran the wing for a glider that aerotowed into rotor. The rope broke. Both aircraft and...
Forum: Soaring October 12th 18, 07:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
"Do It Yourself" airborne proximity warning device

On Thursday, October 11, 2018 at 8:41:00 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Alas the 915 MHz band and other ISM bands are already congested with many other uses, and (from the wikipedia page)...
Forum: Soaring October 5th 18, 11:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

Fair enough John. It seems like most guys are reacting along that line. Do look back to my Oct 2 post suggesting that there needn't be a mandate if insurance rates became the motivating mechanism.
Forum: Soaring October 3rd 18, 05:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

Roy,

This will be an over-the-shoulder view; so nobodies plumbing parts are in the picture. Let's not worry about that.

Again, I understand that it doesn't sell well as a strictly voluntary thing...
Forum: Soaring October 3rd 18, 01:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

Roy,

Most of us routinely fly with multiple loggers and trackers. All of that data is just as subject to subpoena as the proposed video data. Logger and tracker data is just as useful in each of...
Forum: Soaring October 2nd 18, 12:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

I agree, Paul. There needs to be a mandate from within -- not from the FAA.

I agree also that insurance rate incentives might be a great angle to help make it happen.
Forum: Soaring October 2nd 18, 12:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

On Monday, October 1, 2018 at 2:38:26 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Is it April 1st already?

There is no way a camera will be in my cockpit, car, home, bathroom, you
name it, without my...
Forum: Soaring October 1st 18, 09:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

I'm sick and tired of reading about glider crashes and never knowing what actually happened. We badly need to be able to learn from the misfortune of our soaring compadres.

The obvious answer is...
Forum: Soaring September 29th 18, 05:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Uncontrolled Loops Elevator failure

All of this horribleness points to one particular conclusion in my mind. Personal parachutes are not a satisfactory solution in way too many situations. We need to have whole aircraft chutes --...
Forum: Soaring September 20th 18, 04:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Marfa Gliders is NOT closing!

More better than OLC would be to bring back sanctioned racing to Marfa. That would be awesome. Maybe just like Sun Ship games but without the cigarette butts.
Forum: Soaring September 4th 18, 10:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Vario Comparison

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 12:49:36 PM UTC-7, Andy Blackburn wrote:
On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 10:59:26 AM UTC-7, Steve Koerner wrote:
On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 9:07:09 AM...
Forum: Soaring September 4th 18, 06:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Vario Comparison

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 9:07:09 AM UTC-7, George Haeh wrote:
Lift from horizontal gusts can be filtered out with rates of dynamic pressure and attitude, perhaps with application of...
Forum: Soaring September 4th 18, 12:04 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Glider crash near Reno yesterday

Checking sailplane tracker, there are no gliders indicated that go missing yesterday in that area. Yesterday was obviously a strong soaring day with good altitudes based on the great flights out of...