Forum: Soaring February 16th 20, 12:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Libelle suitability for beginners

The Libelle makes a fine first glass ship in my opinion. The one Hank is talking about (JR) was owned near me years ago and was my first glass flying.. In my opinion the handling differences...
Forum: Soaring February 11th 20, 02:06 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looking for water ballast system for DG 200 complete and or parts of.

Hey Bob, did you consider using one of the wake board ballast bag manufacturers? They list a custom option usually with prices starting at $100. I haven't called but expect to use the old bags I have...
Forum: Soaring January 21st 20, 10:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Questions/Comments about OGN

I'm talking about OGN. A SPOT, InReach, can already do this. (Another device I forgot to mention.) I dunno... it just seems like a solution looking for a problem.
Forum: Soaring January 21st 20, 07:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Questions/Comments about OGN

John, you know me. I'm slow on the uptake but I make up for it with a bit of open mindedness. What is the purpose of this thing? It sounds like a half step between ADS-B and Flarm.
When I started...
Forum: Soaring January 20th 20, 03:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lowest power tow

"Is it time to design the sailplane towing version of the Dragonfly for when we run out of Pawnees? Be interesting to see what the soaring brain trust could come up with."

If only there was a way...
Forum: Soaring January 19th 20, 01:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Schleicher cockpit

I've never met him, but he's on my very small list of personal heroes. His gliders are the best looking and among the best ever built.
Interesting examples listed above, I can see where the...
Forum: Soaring January 18th 20, 05:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Instrument panel labeling

Nice work! I've never seen bank angle reference marks like that on the panel before.

DT
Forum: Soaring January 18th 20, 03:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Schleicher cockpit

It's snowing and for entertainment sake I thought I'd throw this question out there.
One of the selling points of the -24 and later Schleicher gliders is the "crashworthiness" of the fuselage....
Forum: Soaring January 15th 20, 03:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Instrument panel labeling

These are some great ideas. I like the durability of the anodized/engraved plates but was hoping to find something like the transfer that Cookie suggested from Decalprofx. If you read this, how...
Forum: Soaring January 10th 20, 03:26 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Instrument panel labeling

I'm looking for ideas on how to make professional looking placards/labels for a instrument panel rebuild I'm doing. I need to make tiny labels for fuses, and switches and I hate, hate, hate the look...
Forum: Soaring December 18th 19, 10:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Amazon Smile and the SSA - WHAT?

I didn't know the SSA was an option. If my wife doesn't already have a charity selected I'll set up her account. At 6% of the purchases she should be able to support the National team at the next...
Forum: Soaring December 10th 19, 10:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
15 Hour Wonders

On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 6:22:28 PM UTC-6, Bob Youngblood wrote:
The FAA has made it possible for glider plots with very limited time to acquire a CFIG rating with only 15 hours of total...
Forum: Soaring November 28th 19, 01:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Logo t shirts

No, it was a different company. Thank you for responding. Though this wasn't what I was looking for they seem to have some nice items.

Doug.
Forum: Soaring November 26th 19, 02:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Logo t shirts

There used to be a company in the US that sold manufacture branded t-shirts that I can't find. I believe it was Cloudstreet Arts? They had Schleicher, LS, Scemp-Hirth, DG, Slingsby... all the big...
Forum: Soaring November 24th 19, 01:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wanted Trailer

Dont know if you found your trailer or not, but there's a trailer for sale on W&W located in Florida built for Schweizers with new tires. Good luck!
Forum: Soaring November 7th 19, 12:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gliding risk....

^That's the best response in this whole thread.
Forum: Soaring November 6th 19, 09:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FES Possibilty

Any chance this mod. could be done to a -24?
Forum: Soaring November 5th 19, 09:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Strong Enterprises

Is anybody else waiting longer than expected to receive their new 'chute from Strong? I placed my order from a reputable supplier on July 5th and was given a 10-12 week lead time. I'm wondering if...
Forum: Soaring October 27th 19, 02:23 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS3 spins

Remember, the glider is flying level before the rotation starts. Books show aircraft descending vertically at departure but in reality the rotation starts along the original flight path. This is why...
Forum: Soaring October 16th 19, 01:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Replacing ELT, PLB with current tech.

How spot on does altitude reporting need to be for this? If your buddy sends you a link to follow their track and they are stationary for an unusual period of time, regardless of altitude reported it...
Forum: Soaring October 7th 19, 07:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Trailer drawer....IMI vs Cobra...any thoughts?

John, Wings and Wheels is the US distributor for IMI and carrys the drawer you seek. IMHO less ground clearance on a trailer that WILL be going off road is the last thing I want though.

DT
Forum: Soaring October 5th 19, 03:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Can only CFIs teach flying?

There is one common, required logbook endorsement unique to the soaring community that doesn't have to be issued by an instructor. Do any glider only rated pilots know what it is?

DT
Forum: Soaring September 28th 19, 10:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Standard Cirrus 1973 (Grob) no water ballast

Wikipedia says water ballast came to standard class in '72. Maybe this one was commissioned before the rule was adopted. Alternatively a previous owner may have removed it.

DT
Forum: Soaring August 26th 19, 03:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Discus 2 rudder stiff help please

Do you use an overboard type relief system?