Forum: Soaring February 6th 20, 06:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider electrics etc

Thanks !
What about cutting and reconnecting (quick disconnect) the GPS antenna wires. What connector would you use ?
Dan
Forum: Soaring February 6th 20, 04:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider electrics etc

Are you talking about a a disconnect on a wire going to a GPS antenna ?
Sorry about my ignorance regarding anything electrical.
Dan
Forum: Soaring January 15th 20, 01:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Do you have to record a TN in the aircraft logbook ?

"Unlike a type certified glider you don't need an A&P IA (or A&P) signature for a return to service "
So I can perform a TN or an AD (?) myself, without an A&P signature for an experimental "Racing...
Forum: Soaring January 14th 20, 07:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Do you have to record a TN in the aircraft logbook ?

For an experimental glider, do you have to record a TN performed on the glider ?
Does it need and A&P signature ?
Dan
Forum: Soaring January 14th 20, 06:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Locating Transponder Antenna on top of the fuselage instead ofunder it.

I have decided to install the transponder blade antenna on top of the fuselage, behind the engine doors, as per Schempp Hirth TN.
Dan
Forum: Soaring December 31st 19, 06:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Locating Transponder Antenna on top of the fuselage instead ofunder it.

I will let you know what I found and what decided.
Dan
Forum: Soaring December 31st 19, 02:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Locating Transponder Antenna on top of the fuselage instead ofunder it.

Thanks all for the great response and information !
I will contact Schenpp Hirth and get information/drawing about the fuselage top location option.
Don't want to drill holes in the fuselage before...
Forum: Soaring December 30th 19, 07:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Locating Transponder Antenna on top of the fuselage instead ofunder it.

Well, Here is a picture of Schlicher's recommended location for the Antenna-same as Schempp Hirth-Above landing gear...
Forum: Soaring December 30th 19, 06:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Locating Transponder Antenna on top of the fuselage instead ofunder it.

Do you have the Blade type antenna or the cylinder/ball one ?
Thanks, Dan
Forum: Soaring December 29th 19, 06:23 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Locating Transponder Antenna on top of the fuselage instead ofunder it.

Well here is a link to a picture of a Ventus with the transponder antenna located as per Schempp Hirth.
Seems to work well only is straight flight. In any banking flight, the antenna is shadowed by...
Forum: Soaring December 29th 19, 01:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Locating Transponder Antenna on top of the fuselage instead ofunder it.

"Pay attention to the proper ground plane installation with any of the standard external transponder 1/4 wave antenna. That is very important."
Can the ground Plane be inside a carbon fibre fuselage...
Forum: Soaring December 27th 19, 08:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Locating Transponder Antenna on top of the fuselage instead of under it.

Hi all,
Planning to install a Transponder Antenna on my Ventus CM.
Schempp Hirth indicates the possibilty of installing on top of the fuselage , behind the engine compartment doors.
Regarding being...
Forum: Soaring September 10th 19, 10:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kawa rough landing?

Kawa's glider was not a FES system, but a Standard mast/electric motor system.
Dan

On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 3:12:59 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 2:11:36...
Forum: Soaring August 22nd 19, 05:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Seminole Lake Gliderport for sale

2G
Who cares who is the current owner, unless you want to be the new owner...
Are you ?

Dan
On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 10:21:47 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 10:05:25...
Forum: Soaring August 12th 19, 05:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Schempp Hirth Airbrake is partially not flush when locked

Hi,
A small part of My Ventus C airbrake, in the middle of the brake, is protruding above the wing when locked, enough to annoy me.
The 2 ends of the brake are fine, a small part is sticking slightly...
Forum: Soaring August 7th 19, 06:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ventus rigging advice, please?

See this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em7MtTdx_Uo

Note: align vertical to be vertical
right wing first

and.....don't expect it to be that easy.....
Dan

On Tuesday, June 25, 2019 at...
Forum: Soaring August 3rd 19, 03:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ventus C, 15m vs 17.6m

Yes neutral stability in yaw. Requires some rudder input to keep going straight on a bumpy day.
Dan
On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 8:56:48 PM UTC-4, Glidergeek wrote:
Fishtailing? You mean yaw?
Forum: Soaring July 29th 19, 05:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ventus C, 15m vs 17.6m

I will explain what happens. When flying in the 17.6 configuration, and letting go of the rudder pedals on a straight line, every time a gust pushes the nose to one direction the nose will stay there...
Forum: Soaring July 22nd 19, 09:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ventus rigging advice, please?

He said not the way "I" do it. Quite a difference.
Dan
On Monday, July 22, 2019 at 2:45:04 PM UTC-4, John McLaughlin wrote:
'Not the way to do it'

Why not?
Forum: Soaring July 17th 19, 03:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FS Dittel FSG2T radios fresh from overhaul

Curious, why is it a better radio ?
Dan
On Wednesday, July 17, 2019 at 2:35:50 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I bought a 2T from Ross.

If you have an FSG-71, it is a direct replacement...
Forum: Soaring June 27th 19, 08:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eglider.org Knauff and Grove not filling orders???

Are you sure Tom got your money ? Very unlikely he will take the money, not deliver and not give a refund.
In the meantime, call your credit card company and ask to dispute the charge. You'll get a...
Forum: Soaring June 12th 19, 03:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Another EXTREMELY low thermal save

"As I get lower, I think less bank angle in my turns"
Why do you think that less bank is safer ? You can't slow a glider so it stalls/spin at 45 degrees bank, but certainly can at a less...
Forum: Soaring June 11th 19, 04:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fastening Flexible Solar Panels to a trailer-what adhesive to use ?

Thank you all for the great advice.
Looks like 3M VHB #4991 is the way to go. Also, I was advised to add a twinwall polycarbonate pieces undeneath the panel, to keep the panel cool.
On Monday, June...
Forum: Soaring June 11th 19, 04:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fastening Flexible Solar Panels to a trailer-what adhesive to use ?

Bumper,
On the Cobra trailer, what did you do with the wires coming out of the panel ?
Dan
On Tuesday, June 11, 2019 at 10:57:33 AM UTC-4, bumper wrote:
VHB will work.

I installed four 100...