Forum: Soaring September 13th 19, 06:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LAK17A Canopy Support Tube

Yeah, LAK is pretty good with parts...........bet that was caused by a gust of wind hitting an open canopy?
JJ
Forum: Soaring September 10th 19, 08:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Discus 2 rudder stiff help please

As delivered, the ship came with Schempp-Hirth standard brass bushing and brass washer which allows the self-locking nut to be tightened up completely and the rudder will still move freely. Not...
Forum: Soaring September 6th 19, 03:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fun at the Regionals

Soaring magazine has a page titled “Remembering the past”, with 75 years ago, 50 & 25. This month told of Region 11, 1994 regionals. It was a 2 weekend affair and the first Sundays forecast...
Forum: Soaring September 3rd 19, 03:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pins for L33 Solo

Length & width? I have several main wing pins from ships that have met with misfortune. 20, 25 & 30 mm, also,Large bolts are available. Could even have a machinist turn down a bolt.
JJ
Forum: Soaring September 1st 19, 07:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Purchase of glider from Canada

Ken,
The ship must be de-registered in Canada, which means it’s dropped from Canadian aircraft rolls and its C bumper is removed. Best way to do this is what the FAA calls an “Airworthiness for...
Forum: Soaring August 29th 19, 06:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Discus 2 rudder stiff help please

I’ll second Karl’s remarks. I remember a pilot at a Nationals that had a tow hook that was jammed........wouldn’t budge! I told him to pull the seat and we found a tow pulley that was sitting...
Forum: Soaring August 26th 19, 03:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Discus 2 rudder stiff help please

Is the gap between the rudder and fin skin OK? Check it by sliding 80 grit sandpaper in the gap with smooth side towards the rudder. Run it all the way up and down on both sides, all gaps should be...
Forum: Soaring August 22nd 19, 06:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FS Cambridge L-Nav & GPS 20

The Ball is a 400/6, good Vario, audio doesn’t work, $50?
Good L-Nav, $150
Cherry M-Nav $50
Seriously, the L-Nav and M-Nav are damned good audio various for very little............good club...
Forum: Soaring August 22nd 19, 12:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FS Cambridge L-Nav & GPS 20

Well, if your fitting out a Granau Baby, you’ll need an A-8 oxygen regulator and a Ball vario!
I’ll even throw in an L-nav just in case.............$200 ?
JJ
Forum: Soaring August 14th 19, 06:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Landing gear adjustment

I just finished replacing a rubber roller in my Genesis-2 nose gear, which I won’t go into because most gliders only retract the main gear. After the nose gear was operating properly, I checked the...
Forum: Soaring August 12th 19, 03:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider instrument repair

Google aircraft instrument overhaul........I have used Instrument Overhaul Services and Rudy Aircraft Instruments.
JJ
Forum: Soaring August 7th 19, 10:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ogar parts source

Have you check with an A&P who has Nico-press tool, correct cable and sleeves? Replacing worn or broken cables is a common thing for most any A&P mechanic.
He/she will know how to proof load...
Forum: Soaring August 5th 19, 03:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wing Contour?

I bought a near new LS-7 for 39k because the word was, “I had a climb problem!” Got it home and in the shop and found a big spar depression on the bottom of both wings! Couldn’t bring myself to...
Forum: Soaring August 4th 19, 08:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra sealed wheel bearings F/S

I ended up with 2 new sealed wheel bearings for a 1600#, single axle Cobra trailer. Measure OD 60mm, ID 30 mm, H 37mm. Should match single axle, 1600#, Cobras sold after 2000. $30.00...
Forum: Soaring July 26th 19, 10:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lift pins

Dirk,
Those are not,”poor little root ribs”, in fact the designers have reinforced them with several layers of cloth running from the spars deep into the root ribs on both sides of the spar, so...
Forum: Soaring July 26th 19, 07:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
More trailer tire/wheel issues

Just took my Cobra for a test drive, 20 miles with moderate up and down grades..........everything’s cool! A month ago, I blew a tire ( my bad, the great looking tire was actually 20 years old)....
Forum: Soaring July 25th 19, 01:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lift pins

If you try and fly without your Lift Pins, you won’t find ANY LIFT!
;) JJ
Actually, the 4 lift pins attach the wings to the fuselage............rather important, I’d say!
Forum: Soaring July 23rd 19, 06:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
More trailer tire/wheel issues

I pulled the drum off the wheel that was hot enough to steam water Both ends of the sealed bearing fell out along with most of the ball bearings! I believe the bearing was in the process of failing...
Forum: Soaring July 19th 19, 11:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wanted urgently: A DAR-T that is prepared to help

I imported a broken glider from Canada and our FAA said I needed an Airworthiness For Export Certificate, but the ship was not airworthy! What to do? I wrote a letter to Transport Canada and...
Forum: Soaring July 18th 19, 11:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
More trailer tire/wheel issues

I checked the surge cylinder and it came on softly and released properly when pressure was released. I bought new 6 ply trailer tires recommended for 50 psi, which will help any overpressure caused...
Forum: Soaring July 18th 19, 09:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
More trailer tire/wheel issues

I pulled my Cobra up the Sierras to Sparks, Nv and then blew the right tire (6” of tread separated and took the fender off too). Tire and wheel were Not even warm. Put on the spare and drove the...
Forum: Soaring June 17th 19, 10:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wanted: FRONT nose Trim weights for LS gliders

After seeing the photo, I believe I have some LS-3/4 nose weights. 3.6 #, 4.0#, and 6.2#. Believe a couple of them will solve your problem. Have photo.
JJ
Forum: Soaring June 17th 19, 10:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
complete UV protective glider cover for 15 m ship LS3a

Joel,
Rummaging around the barn, I came across a set of Jaxida covers (s/n 1904) that look like LS-3 covers. They are sun faded, but dry without any mold.
JJ
Forum: Soaring June 13th 19, 10:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5 way tubing quick connector UK

Quick disconnects are Notorious for causing leaks! Seals tight one time, next time one of them leaks. I stopped using them 40 years ago.
Cheers,
JJ
Forum: Soaring June 5th 19, 12:31 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Genesis II parts for sale

Good idea to keep tract of who’s got parts for the Genesis-2. I have a complete main landing gear with wheel and brake + one aileron. Standard Cirrus canopy is a perfect match (I have used one on a...