Forum: Soaring September 7th 19, 01:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Seeking head rest for ASW-20C - or a cheap chiropracter : )

On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 6:32:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hey Chip, can you provide some details on the foam you added? I’m tall and also fly without the seat back. I’d...
Forum: Soaring September 7th 19, 01:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Need Another Cobra Trailer Wheel

I think those originally had wheels off an Opel car.

Our Komet trailer back in 1978 had wheels that fit an Opel Kadett. Don't know what the version on my 1992 Cobra fits. It's a "standard" German...
Forum: Soaring September 4th 19, 05:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Need Another Cobra Trailer Wheel

Good sources, thx. Another one that's useful: http://adaptitusa.com/referencebook.htm

If you copy/paste into Excel, you can filter on the bolt pattern and centerbore and end up with a list of...
Forum: Soaring September 3rd 19, 11:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Seeking head rest for ASW-20C - or a cheap chiropracter : )

In a hard crash with a flattish impact (e.g., recovering from a dive or spin but still sinking vertically), the pilot's head can snap back hard, which can cause considerable injury if not prevented...
Forum: Soaring September 3rd 19, 11:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
US International Team (Squad) Ranking

Agreed. Every time I go to the Worldwide Turnpoint Exchange and download files of various sorts for a contest, I marvel that somehow they all get updated and in the right formats. I fear most of us...
Forum: Soaring September 3rd 19, 05:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Need Another Cobra Trailer Wheel

On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 8:12:42 AM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
Might want to grab some of these too http://bulletprooftire.com/

:-) :-) :-)

T8

So as I look back on over 50 years...
Forum: Soaring September 3rd 19, 05:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Need Another Cobra Trailer Wheel

Tim,

Those are 14" wheels and 1 inch wider than my 13" rims. I have room for the added width. And I suspect I can match the tire height/circumference with a choice of size/profile (which would allow...
Forum: Soaring September 3rd 19, 04:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Need Another Cobra Trailer Wheel

I need a wheel for an older (ca 1992) Cobra trailer: 13 x 4 1/2 wheel with a J flange manufactured 9-91 (the stampings read K13S133 and FAD | 4 1/2 JX13H2 ). Offset measures approx 29 mm. This is...
Forum: Soaring August 14th 19, 11:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What is the Current Pricing for Used Portable PowerFlarm? Anyoneselling theirs?

Don't know current prices. A few years ago, probably $1200 used. They are rather expensive new.

I did mount mine on the glare shield but using the threaded inserts in the base. It moved around a...
Forum: Soaring August 12th 19, 09:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wing Contour?

I contoured my LS-3 wings after 3 years because there was a flat spot over the spars. Made a big difference in glide, especially at high speed (impressed ASW 20 drivers asked me what I'd done). I...
Forum: Soaring July 23rd 19, 09:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
More trailer tire/wheel issues

A Pfeiffer and Komet we owned for years were troublefree. I can't recall whether the Komet had the automatic feature that allowed you to back up without locking out the surge brake but the Pfeiffer...
Forum: Soaring July 23rd 19, 12:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
More trailer tire/wheel issues

Temporary (!) ways to disconnect the surge brake on my 1992 Cobra:

1. The aft end of the long brake rod under the trailer (just ahead of the axle) is threaded and attaches to the "splitter" plate...
Forum: Soaring July 20th 19, 12:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
More trailer tire/wheel issues

I've trailered my 1992 Cobra back and forth myriad times from NJ to Hobbs, Uvalde, Nephi, Cordele, TSA, etc. Most of the time everything is fine. The hubs are barely warm and everything works...
Forum: Soaring July 18th 19, 10:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Seeking head rest for ASW-20C - or a cheap chiropracter : )

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 8:43:08 AM UTC-4, Delta8 wrote:
Dan Colton;995156 Wrote:
I love my ASW-20C but one thing is missing. A baby soft fuzzy headreast
to lean into against those...
Forum: Soaring July 18th 19, 10:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
More trailer tire/wheel issues

A year later, I'm still having the problem I've had off and on for over 20 years on my 1992 Cobra: i.e., after a moderately hard stop, the brakes occasionally jam on and stay on.

New damper strut....
Forum: Soaring July 3rd 19, 03:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
US Soaring lost a good friend today, Dick Mockler.

Met Dick back 1979 or 1980 at one of the midwestern Nats. I caught up with him last summer at the Stds. at TSA for the first time in decades. He was the same nice guy, always with a smile....
Forum: Soaring June 29th 19, 04:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ventus rigging advice, please?

It gets better. I've been solo rigging almost every time since 1982 when I built my first WingMate for my LS-3, knowing my mother would never make it thru a full Nationals crewing for me without some...
Forum: Soaring June 10th 19, 11:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Softie Parachute for Schleicher gliders with a seat back cutout

I like the Softie line of chutes and fly with one now. And I agree the folks at Para-Phernalia are great to deal with.

But--the manufacturer is one of the few (only?) in the U.S. to set a 20-year...
Forum: Soaring June 9th 19, 03:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
One-man rigging aids - is the electric up/down control worth it?

Chip, not sure why you trash the powered wingriggers without any knowledge how much time, effort, bending over etc. they save? Just keep your quiet and and let people choose for themselves. I for...
Forum: Soaring June 6th 19, 08:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
One-man rigging aids - is the electric up/down control worth it?

Lotta discussion about solo rigging. When I started doing it (with my LS-3) in 1981, I was usually the only pilot there with it. "Why?" was the puzzled question, "There's always someone around to...
Forum: Soaring June 5th 19, 10:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
"Flying" your glider on the ground after a landout during athunderstorm or alternatives?

Back in the mid-1960s, we took a 1-26 over to the Cumberland, MD wave camp one weekend. The wind was fairly strong but I don't recall it swirling around that much. At lunchtime, we turned the glider...
Forum: Soaring May 21st 19, 09:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LS3A flap/aileron mixer

Or with eccentric wing carry through pins, as a few ASW 19s required back in the late 1970s. They altered one wing's angle of incidence. Or maybe both.. They apparently brought the two wings more...
Forum: Soaring May 7th 19, 10:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASW-20 B GEAR WARNING SYSTEM

A clip that moves from the gear handle to the spoiler handle is another short term option.
UH

A really cheap hair clip (2 for $1.79 at Walmart) works well, but it's not the strongest. Anyone...
Forum: Soaring April 28th 19, 07:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Undershoot Vs. Overshoot airport landing accidents

On Sunday, April 28, 2019 at 1:41:47 AM UTC-4, Charlie Quebec wrote:
I was taught to always judge my circuit by the angles, and to do so with no instruments, so I’ve never been in a bad position...
Forum: Soaring April 18th 19, 05:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Undershoot Vs. Overshoot airport landing accidents

I've experimented with S-turns (after reading George Moffatt). They work well. I was able to turn a much too high approach into a spot landing twice in two tries. Glider folk on the ground...