Search: Posts made by: Dan Marotta
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 01:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
New Electric Motorglider-Birdy

True dat, but, chicken that I am, the Stemme never gets out of range of
pavement.

On 8/13/2020 5:48 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Dan Marotta wrote on 8/13/2020 3:35 PM:

On 8/13/2020 12:01...
Forum: Soaring August 13th 20, 11:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
New Electric Motorglider-Birdy

On 8/13/2020 12:01 PM, Frank Whiteley wrote:
But no prop strikes!

Frank Whiteley

Said as the glider rolled through the fence on out landing on a short
field. :-D

--
Dan, 5J
Forum: Soaring August 13th 20, 06:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'd get a new rigger.* My previous Pioneer Thin Pack parachute was
inspected and packed for over 40 years.* It was finally rejected due to
wear and tear on the harness straps.

On 8/13/2020 1:25...
Forum: Soaring August 13th 20, 06:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
New Electric Motorglider-Birdy

Wouldn't that ventral fin, which protects the propeller, make it
impossible to get a truly low energy landing?

On 8/13/2020 8:42 AM, wrote:
Forum: Soaring August 11th 20, 11:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Speed of a vario

Well, I'm 72 so I guess that's to be expected...

On 8/10/2020 7:57 PM, SoaringXCellence wrote:
Dan,

It means you're very slow, only faster than 16% of the test subjects. I got an average of...
Forum: Soaring August 10th 20, 11:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Speed of a vario

That was fun!

370 ms
301 ms
294 ms
290 ms
308 ms

That puts me in the 16.8 percentile.* What's that mean, anyway?
Forum: Soaring August 10th 20, 12:53 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Speed of a vario

Well that all sounds scientific, but why then are sounds synchronized
with vision?* According to the below explanation it would seem that I
should see your lips moving 10-15 seconds after I heard...
Forum: Soaring August 10th 20, 12:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Speed of a vario

During takeoff you're adding kinetic energy to the total energy of the
glider.* I would expect the TE vario to show the increase. Remember, it
shows total energy; the up and down movements of the...
Forum: Soaring August 9th 20, 03:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Speed of a vario

To (mis)quote Obi-wan Kenobi - "Use the butt, Luke".

You'll feel it before the vario says anything.

On 8/8/2020 9:39 PM, Stephen Szikora wrote:
I’ve never understood how a vario can be “too...
Forum: Soaring August 9th 20, 03:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
TCSC SOARING HIGH

For those who don't have it, freedom is the ultimate goal.* Nice story!

On 8/9/2020 2:47 AM, Bob Youngblood wrote:
On Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 4:20:02 PM UTC-4, Bob Youngblood wrote:
Forum: Soaring August 9th 20, 03:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
wing tape

I've used 3M white electrical tape when I was flying a single seater.*
It worked very well but, if left on for a long time (my ship was
hangared), it leaves a gummy residue when removed.* That's...
Forum: Soaring August 7th 20, 09:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Flying pants

....And a big panama with a purple hat band.

On 8/7/2020 1:13 PM, Bob Youngblood wrote:
On Friday, August 7, 2020 at 7:57:54 AM UTC-4, Airport Bum wrote:
I am considering changing over to...
Forum: Soaring August 6th 20, 04:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Scary story about landing on a Lake Tahoe golf course

I couldn't find any information on that.* Could you elaborate?

On 8/6/2020 1:05 AM, wrote:
Paul Bikle was retrieved by a P-51 in his 1-23 many decades ago....

--
Dan, 5J
Forum: Soaring August 6th 20, 04:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Old glasses lenses...* Now THAT is a great idea!

On 8/5/2020 9:02 PM, Ben Hirashima wrote:
I fly in the Sierras in the summer, and take bailout survival seriously. My survival strategy is #1...
Forum: Soaring August 5th 20, 11:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Bailout and survival kit

That's right, Mark.* Sometimes my phone boots up in less than a minute,
and sometimes it takes 30 minutes.* Don't know why.* Anyway, I set mine
to airplane mode before take off.

On 8/5/2020...
Forum: Soaring August 3rd 20, 03:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
First Ridge Traverse - Wyoming Range, Wyoming

Good job!

I flew from Driggs to Logan on July 31, 2014 in Tom Bjork's ASH-30mi.*
The maximum altitude for that flight was 12,800' MSL according to my log
book, but we weren't low enough to ridge...
Forum: Soaring August 2nd 20, 03:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Scary story about landing on a Lake Tahoe golf course

I recall hearing the pilot say that he had his gear up to extend his
glide and someone yelled on the radio about that.* In the heat of the
moment the radio call made him turn away from the...
Forum: Soaring July 31st 20, 09:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Scary story about landing on a Lake Tahoe golf course

When you talk about Carson are you talking about Carson City Airport or
somewhere else?

On 7/31/2020 1:08 PM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 8:06:54 AM UTC-7, Frank...
Forum: Soaring July 30th 20, 03:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Scary story about landing on a Lake Tahoe golf course

Is any long flight really worth busting your glider or your ass?

On 7/29/2020 9:43 AM, John Cochrane wrote:
On Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 8:08:30 AM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
On Tuesday, July 28,...
Forum: Soaring July 30th 20, 03:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Mid Week Towing Availability

We just got some decent flights out of Moriarty yesterday.* Today looks
to be much better.* Not saying monsoon is over, but it looks hopeful.

On 7/29/2020 6:16 PM, kinsell wrote:
On 7/29/20...
Forum: Soaring July 29th 20, 04:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
inverted Schweizer towhook

When I suffered an engine failure at around 200' while still over the
runway and while towing my wife (she was pre-solo), she was pulling her
release while I was pulling my release.* She returned...
Forum: Soaring July 29th 20, 04:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
inverted Schweizer towhook

INSTRUCTORS...* There are, indeed, a lot of terrific instructors, but
simply having the rating does not convey super piloting skills to the
holder.* There are several instructors with whom I...
Forum: Soaring July 26th 20, 03:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Grob 104 Main Wheel Brake Cable Repair ..

Usually the other end of the cable, at the wheel/brake is just bare
cable with no end devices.* You can replace the cable from the cockpit.*
Simply determine the length and diameter of the inner...
Forum: Soaring July 25th 20, 09:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
27 crash at Ely?

I've been upset on wave days in my Stemme.* Diving towards the leeward
slope of the mountains east of Albuquerque and pulling up when I felt a
bit of lift, the Stemme rolled uncontrollably to the...
Forum: Soaring July 25th 20, 09:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
question about 303 Mosquito canopy operation

I owned a Mosquito back in the late 80s and I don't remember any springs
associated with the canopy.* As I recall, you simply lift the canopy up
and rotate it forward and it slides on tracks with...