Search: Posts made by: Duster[_2_]
Forum: Soaring May 6th 20, 05:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Wing wheel from Craggy Aero

A few years back, someone showed me his unique design for a w/w. He mounted a basket-ball sized, round utility ball (with a bladder) that freely rotated against an upside-down "cup" which housed a...
Forum: Soaring May 6th 20, 05:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
OLC/ Open Distance meet Odessa Tx?

Odessa, maybe, Marfa probably not (though the Dew Line can create some monster conversions). The biography on Wally Scott contains some suggested start-points. Uvalde might be ripe, but there is no...
Forum: Soaring May 5th 20, 03:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Bailout and survival kit

For my Softie rig, the vest pockets would be inaccessible/bulky. However, the large space between my sheepskin and parachute forms a huge pouch that can be filled with lots of bailout items without...
Forum: Soaring April 19th 20, 06:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Favorite Aviation Films

On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 7:27:26 PM UTC-5, Duster wrote:
A bit surprised that nobody appears to have mentioned a most famous soaring pilot who flew the planes in "Those Magnificent Men in...
Forum: Soaring April 19th 20, 01:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Favorite Aviation Films

A bit surprised that nobody appears to have mentioned a most famous soaring pilot who flew the planes in "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines" "Blue Max", "Darling Lilli", "Chitty Chitty...
Forum: Soaring April 14th 20, 07:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Best option for electric self starting glider

Thanks to those providing opinions/experiences with the Taurus Electro. I asked my local dealer if Pipistrel was planning on a longer wing. His reply was "The planform is a more forward sweep with a...
Forum: Soaring April 13th 20, 05:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Best option for electric self starting glider

Any opinions on the Taurus Electro? Side-by-side, pylon, self-launch, trailer option for solar array charging, etc. They claim the profile of the cockpit/fuselage acts like a lifting body.
Forum: Soaring April 10th 20, 08:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Charlie Spratt

On Friday, April 10, 2020 at 9:04:01 AM UTC-5, Karl Striedieck wrote:
John Good wrote a beautiful obit for Charlie Spratt in the June 2009 issue of Soaring. Charlie left us April 10th that year....
Forum: Soaring April 9th 20, 11:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
O2, Question for medics.

son_of_flubber wrote:

On the other hand, pulse oximeter ARE designed to work indoors sitting
quietly in a chair or resting in bed.

You can test this pretty easily, of course. I have 4...
Forum: Soaring April 9th 20, 10:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
What have we learned from all this?

On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 3:20:08 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Oops, the German study said "0,37 percent", in US speak, that's 0.37%
or 0.0037.
Dan, 5J

Dan; You're smarter than you think....
Forum: Soaring April 9th 20, 10:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
What have we learned from all this?

On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 3:20:08 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Oops, the German study said "0,37 percent",* in US speak, that's 0.37%
or 0.0037.
Dan, 5J

Dan; You're smarter than you...
Forum: Soaring April 9th 20, 08:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
What have we learned from all this?

On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 11:08:04 AM UTC-5, wrote:
My bad division. Late night math not my forte.
Thanks.
At least I have only one eyeball for viral admission. And...
Forum: Soaring April 9th 20, 08:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
O2, Question for medics.

For COVID-19 victims with poor O2 sat or high flyers, has anyone looked into a portable oxygen generating system to use at least as an adjunct to compressed O2? I've seen some that are battery...
Forum: Soaring April 9th 20, 05:23 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
What have we learned from all this?

Most daily deaths?
https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality-statistics/detail/state-by-state

In 2018, we were...
Forum: Soaring April 8th 20, 07:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Mentorship for Women

Done

On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 10:18:22 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Can I have a contact email please, I know someone that would love to talk more to you about this.

Collinshea
Forum: Soaring April 3rd 20, 02:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Transceiver Troubleshooting Guide Updates

Wonderful work, John, as usual. Thanks for all your hard work.
Forum: Soaring April 2nd 20, 03:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
SSA Contest Committee Announcement on COVID-19 and 2020 Contest Schedule

On Thursday, April 2, 2020 at 8:36:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Do you have a television H?
This is a nothing burger and if we quit flying feminine hysteric values wins. And for the...
Forum: Soaring March 31st 20, 10:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Damn you, COVID-19!!!

Hope you get up soon, though I doubt you'll receive much sympathy from those of us still living in winter weather! Good of you to reintroduce a new Coronavirus thread, the other thread was getting a...
Forum: Soaring March 29th 20, 05:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Soaring already DOA for the season???

This link has the essentials of the full WSJ...
Forum: Soaring March 29th 20, 03:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Soaring already DOA for the season???

A more tempered, but plausible, opinion from the WSJ that’s worth a read:

Is the Coronavirus as Deadly as They Say?
Current estimates about the Covid-19 fatality rate may be too high by orders of...
Forum: Soaring March 29th 20, 02:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Trouble in Paradise (Omarama)

Update: Glide Omarama is now expected to re-open again this coming September, contrary to their earlier announcements....
Forum: Soaring March 27th 20, 07:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Needing a Conditional Inspection (west coast)

Mr. Teal, here is Chris Klix' contact info. I don't know him and suspect you've already gone that route.

Name: Mr Christian H Klix
Address: 9605 11th Place SE,
Lake Stevens, WA...
Forum: Soaring March 27th 20, 06:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Needing a Conditional Inspection (west coast)

He was requesting someone with DG experience, so he may be aware of Chris. On FB he declares himself semi-retired. I don't know him, but I will PM Chris' contact info to Randy.
Forum: Soaring March 27th 20, 06:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Soaring already DOA for the season???

On Friday, March 27, 2020 at 12:47:35 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
How long ago did Newsome make that claim?* What's the current count?*
What's a reasonable projection for the stated 7 weeks?...
Forum: Soaring March 27th 20, 05:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Duster[_2_]
Soaring already DOA for the season???

Mike,
I heard this news broadcast earlier today. Glad you posted it here as I think as many people as possible should read it, if nothing else but to calm those put into a panic because of these...