Search: Posts made by: Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas
Forum: Soaring March 11th 19, 05:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra Trailer Emergency Brake Experience

Generally, the MAX SPEED LIMIT on glider trailers in Germany is 80 Km/hour.

Not true! Most glider trailers have been approved for 100km/h by now. In that case, they must place a white,...
Forum: Soaring March 10th 19, 05:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASK13 hangar ceiling

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 7:43:47 AM UTC-6, wrote:
We want to hang up our ASK13 in our hanger.
We know there are 2 holes on the outside of the fuselage around the mid...
Forum: Soaring March 10th 19, 05:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra Trailer Emergency Brake Experience

I understand that in some parts of Europe they require the safety brake cable, but don't require safety chains.
I opt for 2 safety chains, secured to the body of the trailer, and skip the brake...
Forum: Soaring March 7th 19, 05:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What is a "Site Survey?"

The Soaring Safety Foundation would welcome an invitation for a repeat Site Survey due to turnover of your club management, CFIG's and towpilots along with the influx of new members.

A couple of...
Forum: Soaring February 28th 19, 02:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider Checkride Examiner will travel to YOU

Heading to Utah next week to conduct 3 (possibly 4) glider rating checkrides as a "Traveling FAA Designated Pilot Examiner." Splitting my expenses among several applicants makes sense . . .

I'm...
Forum: Soaring February 11th 19, 10:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What is a "Site Survey?"

In responses to my "Traveling Checkride Examiner" post and questions on the SSA Clubs & Chapters group I have received e-mails such as this one:

Q. "Burt - Your recent message on Chapters-SSA got...
Forum: Soaring February 5th 19, 09:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider Checkride Examiner will travel to YOU

Almost ready to take your Practical Test ("checkride") for your Private or Commercial glider pilot license?

Ready to become a Glider Flight Instructor?

Burt, your Traveling FAA Glider License...
Forum: Soaring February 1st 19, 05:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surfing and Soaring?

On Friday, February 1, 2019 at 10:04:33 AM UTC-6, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
The legendary Woody Brown. Surfer, sailplane pilot.

Begin he ...
Forum: Soaring February 1st 19, 05:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surfing and Soaring?

The legendary Woody Brown. Surfer, sailplane pilot.
Forum: Soaring January 12th 19, 03:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Traveling Checkride Examiner

Update:
Utah checkrides will be in March 2019.
I'm available to travel for your checkride in April, May, July . . . and though the rest of 2019.

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 8:18:54 PM UTC-6,...
Forum: Soaring January 11th 19, 03:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Traveling Checkride Examiner

Booking more glider-rating checkrides, geographically:
Southeast USA in February.
Utah in April.
Anywhere in May.
Midwest in June.
Or come to Marfa in southwest Texas for my free...
Forum: Soaring December 28th 18, 02:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Traveling Checkride Examiner

Organizing my travel for glider check rides anywhere in the USA in 2019.
Who's next?
Forum: Soaring November 8th 18, 05:02 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Canopy free soaring

On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 6:39:59 PM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:
Dreaming about next summer...

Other than drag, is there any reason to not remove my canopy and go soaring? ...
Forum: Soaring October 31st 18, 09:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Traveling Checkride Examiner

Cost?

Let's discuss the possibilities privately at burtcompton(at) (A0L) d0t com

First, I'll need to know When, Where and Which glider certificate or rating the applicant is seeking.
Then I can...
Forum: Soaring October 30th 18, 05:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Traveling Checkride Examiner

The FAA has granted the privilege (for which I am honored and grateful) to travel most anywhere around the USA (plus Alaska and Hawaii) to conduct your glider pilot checkride for PVT, COM, INITIAL...
Forum: Soaring October 12th 18, 08:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
instruments for sale

Very interested in the B40.
marfagliders (at) A0L(dot)com
Forum: Soaring October 4th 18, 03:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Trailer for Schweizer 1-36

When Bob Ball (R.I.P) brought his his nice (never a club ship) Schweizer 1-36 to fly wave at Marfa, TX and sold it to me in 2004, he kept the home-built trailer as it was apparently a "universal" box...
Forum: Soaring September 30th 18, 04:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CFI-G

On Sunday, September 30, 2018 at 8:59:00 AM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
On Friday, September 28, 2018 at 11:14:09 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:

61.183.f says you must pass an aeronautical test...
Forum: Soaring September 26th 18, 09:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marfa Gliders is NOT closing!

On Thursday, September 20, 2018 at 12:46:17 PM UTC-5, wrote:
You know they’re car headlights on a distant road, right?

Yes, 99% are distant car lights on the highway up from...
Forum: Soaring September 26th 18, 08:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vintage & Classic Sailplane Camp at Marfa, Texas OCT 12-28, 2018

When visiting me in Marfa for the upcoming "Oktoberfest" Vintage & Classic Sailplane Camp. plan on evening grilling, glorious sunsets and star-gazing in "Burt's Backyard", facing north across the...
Forum: Soaring September 19th 18, 11:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marfa Gliders is NOT closing!

Burt here. I'm NOT retiring, I just downsizing my fleet, selling a hangar, offering my collection of vintage music instruments for sale, specifically:

My beautifully restored 1946 Piper J-3 Cub...
Forum: Soaring September 18th 18, 07:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gliders and more for sale at Marfa, Texas

Just downsizing (I'm not retiring or closing) at Marfa, Texas!
Photos and more details by e-mail only (no texts / no phone calls) to burtcompton (at) aol (dot) com
Offered for sale:

1946 Piper J3...
Forum: Soaring August 14th 18, 02:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vintage & Classic Sailplane Camp at Marfa, Texas OCT 12-28, 2018

60 days to go! RSVP NOW for my Oktoberfest Vintage and Classic Sailplane Camp is October 12 to 28, 2018 at Marfa in southwest Texas, historic site of "The Sun Ship Game" (1969) film and the 15th...
Forum: Soaring July 3rd 18, 04:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vintage & Classic Sailplane Camp at Marfa, Texas OCT 12-28, 2018

Marfa, Texas, Accommodations - WHERE TO STAY: Due to the popularity of Marfa, there is no "slow season!" Almost every weekend we host an art, film or music festival, therefore Marfa has become a...
Forum: Soaring June 26th 18, 05:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vintage & Classic Sailplane Camp at Marfa, Texas OCT 12-28, 2018

On Monday, May 21, 2018 at 6:18:50 PM UTC-5, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
Ever flown in an open-cockpit sailplane?
You can at Marfa, Texas, October 12-28, 2018 in my restored...