Search: Posts made by: John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
Forum: Soaring February 24th 21, 09:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chicagoland Glider Council Seminar Feb 27th 2021

REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!! WINGS CREDIT!!

Please go to https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/504520119533373198 to register for this seminar.

If you want WINGS credits for this webinar you...
Forum: Soaring February 22nd 21, 07:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SN10B with Garmin GPS16x-HVS Antenna + remote for sale $800

While advertising on RAS is a good start when selling glider instruments but eBay seems a somewhat unlikely place to find the rest of your soaring audience.

I would advertise on...
Forum: Soaring February 19th 21, 09:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chicagoland Glider Council Seminar Feb 27th 2021

WINGS CREDIT!

You can get FAA FAAST WINGS credits for this Seminar. Two Basic credits (topics 2/3) or two WINGS Advanced credits (topics 1/2).

But if you want WINGS credits for this webinar you...
Forum: Soaring February 17th 21, 08:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chicagoland Glider Council Seminar Feb 27th 2021

REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!!

Please go to https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/504520119533373198 to register for this seminar.

Thank you and see you virtually there!

John DeRosa OHM...
Forum: Soaring February 15th 21, 06:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
A Different Chute Question

On Sunday, February 14, 2021 at 4:18:45 PM UTC-6, Steve Leonard wrote:
So, I am well aware of the drag chutes supplied by Walter Kostelezky, K.G.. of Germany. I am aware of the rings and swivels at...
Forum: Soaring February 12th 21, 10:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chicagoland Glider Council Seminar Feb 27th 2021

Every two years the ChicagoLand Glider Council hosts an all-day virtual seminar. This year the seminar will be held on Saturday, February 27th, 2021 starting at 8:30AM CT and going to 4:45PM CT with...
Forum: Soaring February 7th 21, 03:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wanted - ILEC SB9 vario

On Saturday, February 6, 2021 at 10:24:39 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Does anyone have an ILEC SB9 sitting on a shelf?

You should post a wanted ad on http://glidersource.com
Forum: Soaring February 2nd 21, 06:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2021 ChicagoLand Glider Council Seminar - Call for Speakers

The Council has received a few offers of speakers for this upcoming day-long virtual Seminar on February 27, 2021. Thank you!

Are there others out there that would like to be considered as a...
Forum: Soaring January 30th 21, 03:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SSA Regional Webinar - Introduction to XC - Black Forest SS1-29-21 7 pm MTN

On Friday, January 29, 2021 at 4:11:08 PM UTC-6, Cindy Brickner wrote:
Folks:
Sorry for the short notice.
Tonight at 6 pm Pacific - 7 pm Mtn, is an SSA Chapter-hosted webinar.

Forum: Soaring January 29th 21, 05:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Another oldie showcasing Soaring's Finest?

When I see an aircraft tail number in an old movie or advert I like to look it up to see if the ship is still flying - especially gliders.

I found that N5752S was previously registered to a 2-33A...
Forum: Soaring January 20th 21, 06:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What is your go-to meal on long flights?

For Gliders - Clif Bars (oatmeal raisin, peach) and Twizzlers Bites (strawberry). Good chewing, energy, and never leaves a crumb.

For commercial airline travel please add scotch. But please remind...
Forum: Soaring January 15th 21, 06:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2021 ChicagoLand Glider Council Seminar - Call for Speakers

Every two years the ChicagoLand Glider Council hosts a seminar during February. Our seminars are all day Saturday events having 4-5 speakers, includes a luncheon, and makes it a great wintertime...
Forum: Soaring January 7th 21, 05:12 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Garmin has Purchased GEOS

Garmin has purchased GEOS - the leading provider of emergency monitoring and response services. See Garmin's press release at https://tinyurl.com/garmin-geos.

Why is this important? Because the...
Forum: Soaring January 5th 21, 05:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Schempp-Hirth Font Face & Vinyl Cutting

As a bit of an aside about making vinyl graphics for gliders. When I purchased a "new" glider a few years back I needed to change contest IDs. The cost from a local print shop was going to be...
Forum: Soaring January 3rd 21, 08:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Becker speaker/microphone box - shall i get rid of it?

On Saturday, January 2, 2021 at 7:10:44 AM UTC-6, wrote:
My glider is equipped with a quite old Becker box. The microphone cable is in very bad conditions and i have a bunch...
Forum: Soaring December 13th 20, 04:46 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HYPOXIA

Being a flat lander I start my Mountain High EDS unit at 5,000msl which is usually below field elevation out west. I just sent my O2D1 unit and regulator to MH for its bi-annual winter checkup and...
Forum: Soaring December 9th 20, 06:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paraglider pilot missing in eastern Nevada

On Wednesday, December 9, 2020 at 11:04:55 AM UTC-6, David Shelton wrote:
On Tuesday, December 8, 2020 at 8:52:26 AM UTC-8, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
Sad event....
Forum: Soaring December 9th 20, 04:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Identifying a Canopy Blank's Glider Model

Steve Leonard identified this canopy as for an ASW12. It turns out that the two piece canopy of an ASW12 begins life as one long canopy.

Thanks to all that helped with this mystery.
Forum: Soaring December 8th 20, 05:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paraglider pilot missing in eastern Nevada

Sad event.

In the accident report it mentions, "Of the upper lines still attached to the canopy, we can see that the vast majority were incorrectly
mounted." This was listed in the conclusions...
Forum: Soaring December 8th 20, 12:29 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Recommendation for Becker radio shop

If you go to their webpage and click on America's and Japan the contact info for Becker is displayed, I did not get the 404 error. I contacted Alex today in regard to a Becker radio and was...
Forum: Soaring December 7th 20, 06:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Recommendation for Becker radio shop

On Sunday, December 6, 2020 at 7:36:39 PM UTC-6, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
Becker USA doesn't seem to do a very good job advertising their repair services for the US....
Forum: Soaring December 7th 20, 04:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Identifying a Canopy Blank's Glider Model

I took some additional pictures. See https://link.shutterfly.com/qI0hDPifPbb.

Some additional clues;

- I was wrong. The window does in fact have additional holes for the rails of a sliding...
Forum: Soaring December 7th 20, 02:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Recommendation for Becker radio shop

Becker USA doesn't seem to do a very good job advertising their repair services for the US. Googling "Becker USA Ft Lauderdale" I get a hit on http://www.beckerusa.com (located in Miramar FL?). ...
Forum: Soaring December 7th 20, 12:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Recommendation for Becker radio shop

I list all the US repair shops that I know of for transceiver/transponder manufacturers in my troubleshooting presentation found at http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presentations/#transceiver. If you...
Forum: Soaring December 5th 20, 07:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Oudie 2 profile examples

Loved my old Oudie. A few quick Oudie profile comments;

- It isn't a very good idea to play with nav boxes while in the air ... especially so while bouncing around in gliders. To me the easiest...