Forum: Soaring April 5th 17, 07:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Improved live tracking for the SSA membership?

The insanity of it all! If I've taken time to respond to three people who are actually one with three screen names I'm going to bury my head in my hands. None of us have time for such. Once again...
Forum: Soaring April 5th 17, 06:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Improved live tracking for the SSA membership?

Droid app is IGCdroid.

There is a small one time fee for this app but you can try it for free.

Lane
Forum: Soaring April 5th 17, 06:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Improved live tracking for the SSA membership?

You can go directly to "GlidePort.Aero" and become a registered user. This will allow an "info" tab which explains most of the features. To see animation you must click the "play" button in the...
Forum: Soaring April 5th 17, 05:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Improved live tracking for the SSA membership?

Why do you say SSA does not have a live tracking map?

You can click on a map on the SSA homepage and see where all the flying gliders are located worldwide. The only caveat is that the pilot flying...
Forum: Soaring April 4th 17, 03:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pin holes (again)

Go with Hanks advice. He guided me in the refinish of CF and it turned out great. I was constantly advised by spectators as to how I "should do it". One guy grabbed a gear foot and promptly sanded...
Forum: Soaring March 30th 17, 10:26 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FAI Sailplane Grand Prix USA 🇺🇸 Orlando

There are two Soaring Magazine articles from a couple of years ago. I'm not sure of months. One was written by myself and one by Pedja. If you log in to GlidePort.aero there is an info tab that...
Forum: Soaring March 29th 17, 11:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FAI Sailplane Grand Prix USA 🇺🇸 Orlando

If you will hit the "play" button in the map screen the action is much easier to understand. The movement will be delayed by five minuites but it becomes a fluid viewer experience rather than a...
Forum: Soaring March 27th 17, 09:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FAI Sailplane Grand Prix USA 🇺🇸 Orlando

This is the first US contest with mandatory high resolution Tracking. Thanks contestants. I know it's another device to configure but Wow! I watched all three hours in playback mode (5 minute delay...
Forum: Soaring March 2nd 17, 11:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Happy March from Tony Condon

On Thursday, March 2, 2017 at 5:13:58 PM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
On Thursday, March 2, 2017 at 3:54:07 PM UTC-6, Soartech wrote:
That is odd. I thought OLC split the flight up into 6 equal times. I...
Forum: Soaring February 26th 17, 11:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
One Man Rigger for Standard Cirrus with Eberle Trailer?

Chuck

I built one for my Cirrus/Eberle. Check out the STD Cirrus yahoo site. Look under albums "N230XF"

Lane
Forum: Soaring August 15th 16, 05:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wishing for clickable US score sheet

That is a great idea!

I go to the "results" page on the SSA web and download the entire batch of flights from that day. They I load the batch into SeeYou and scroll down to find the pilots I am...
Forum: Soaring July 29th 16, 09:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tracking Using IGCDroid and a Cheap, Pay As You Go Phone

Dan

A typical five hour hour flight will use less data than sending a picture with your phone. As Sean said, you can go to Walmart and purchase the cheapest Android phone with a monthly "prepaid"...
Forum: Soaring July 29th 16, 03:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FAI Sailplane Grand Prix USA (Results, reports, media...)

"Just say no to SPOT" is very appropriate for the viewing experience that Sean is driving toward. However,the SSA Sailplane Tracking Committee has been very careful to distinguish that SPOT/InReach...
Forum: Soaring July 27th 16, 02:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FAI Sailplane Grand Prix USA (Results, reports, media...)

Sean

If your using Glide Track take a look at the bottom info ribbon which gives a report on the status. I have found that if I launch the app too soon it will report "cold" before launch.

I...
Forum: Soaring July 26th 16, 01:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FAI Sailplane Grand Prix USA (Results, reports, media...)

Sean

Turn on your phone tracker so we can get a pilot view of the action!

XF
Forum: Soaring July 24th 16, 06:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SSA sailplane tracker - too complex

It does work with "all smart phones".

Apple = Glide Track - free
Droid = IGCDroid - $10 one time purchase (free trial)

Lane
Forum: Soaring July 24th 16, 05:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SSA sailplane tracker - too complex

And it does work really well with all "smart" phones. We will not be able to make it work with non data plan phones. If you know a way please drop Pedja an email.

Lane
Forum: Soaring July 24th 16, 05:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SSA sailplane tracker - too complex

On the initial use of the Tracker you must agree to the terms (this was a requirement of the SSA retained lawyer). After first sign in the Tracker never requires that computer to acknowledge terms...
Forum: Soaring July 24th 16, 12:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SSA sailplane tracker - too complex

Chris

Sorry the SSA Sailplane tracker is giving you trouble. You are correct in that registering with GlidePort.aero will open up additional features.

The app you compare us to is a different...
Forum: Soaring July 20th 16, 08:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mirror installation required?

Thanks for commenting. As a tow pilot/glider pilot I saw it as not the "best practice" and made a comment that "I think it is required" to the tow pilot the next day. But I qualified it with "I'll...
Forum: Soaring July 20th 16, 06:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mirror installation required?

I was recently towed by a tow plane that had no mirror installed. Two way communication was established using VHF and a club member was positioned ahead of the tow plane to relay ground signals. ...
Forum: Soaring May 13th 16, 01:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Contest "viewing"

If both devices are registered in your profile you will have two tracks. Examples of this feature can be found at a number of contests. I encourage you to carry two devices.

Lane
Forum: Soaring May 12th 16, 09:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Contest "viewing"

The foreign competitions I have viewed can only afford around 10 devices which they randomly distribute daily.

The GlidePort app integrated with SSA contest data and Winscore is freely available to...
Forum: Soaring April 21st 16, 12:03 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LXNav S80 landing gear voice warning not working

I get the stall warning as I am opening the canopy. It's worth the chuckle so I keep it active.

Lane
Forum: Soaring April 20th 16, 06:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Updates R5N, Perry 2016.

Contest tracker does break tracks down by class. Also shows each task. Even on iPad/ iPhone.

Access map through SSA results page.

Lane