Search: Posts made by: Sierra Whiskey
Forum: Soaring May 16th 18, 10:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sierra Whiskey
Reducing collision hazard at contests

No more rules. Just race.

This is the gliding equivalent of drafting in cycling, NASCAR, Speed Skating, Etc. All of which could cause serious or fatal injuries if done wrong.

Penalizing pilots for...
Forum: Soaring January 17th 18, 05:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sierra Whiskey
When to get a parachute?

On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 5:35:15 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I see your point there son of flubber, but no offense, if I am in the front seat of a two place glider and someguy midairs...
Forum: Soaring July 8th 17, 12:03 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sierra Whiskey
Flying during a Solar Eclipse

Duster,

Night and IMC are independent of each other. Instrument Meterological Conditions are driven by ceiling and visibility, and have no regulatory influence by the position of the sun....
Forum: Soaring July 6th 17, 09:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sierra Whiskey
Flying during a Solar Eclipse

14 CFR Part 1.1
"Night means the time between the end of evening civil twilight and the beginning of morning civil twilight, as published in the Air Almanac, converted to local time."
Forum: Soaring July 6th 17, 09:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sierra Whiskey
Flying during a Solar Eclipse

14 CFR Part 1.1
"Night means the time between the end of evening civil twilight and the beginning of morning civil twilight, as published in the Air Almanac, converted to local time."
Forum: Soaring March 21st 17, 01:20 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sierra Whiskey
All US Records are Now Motor Glider Records

Yep, looks like this change has no benefit to the greater sport of soaring.
Forum: Soaring March 20th 17, 05:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sierra Whiskey
All US Records are Now Motor Glider Records

So wait... A prime example of the dynamics of psychology in play between having a motor is presented and your argument is that this was years ago so it doesn't matter? I am sorry to say but it is you...
Forum: Soaring March 19th 17, 07:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sierra Whiskey
All US Records are Now Motor Glider Records

Not the first time my opinions have been thought of as "Deplorable" but I am okay with that. ;)

We are getting closer to the root of the problem. There is a distinct difference between a "Low Save"...
Forum: Soaring March 18th 17, 10:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sierra Whiskey
All US Records are Now Motor Glider Records

"Most off-airport landings in the western desert involve damage."

Sorry but this is just false... unless it was done without a "suitable landing option within glide". This is what I am worried that...
Forum: Soaring March 18th 17, 10:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sierra Whiskey
All US Records are Now Motor Glider Records

But the option DOES come in to play. If the motor glider is successful in hooking that thermal in non-landable terrain, the record is claimed. In general records are not claimed if the glider got...
Forum: Soaring March 18th 17, 05:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sierra Whiskey
All US Records are Now Motor Glider Records

So wait, are you saying that motor glider owners don't have trailers? I am not really sure what the Trailer Versus Motor argument is here.

And if you are spending $1200 per year to maintain your...
Forum: Soaring March 18th 17, 03:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sierra Whiskey
All US Records are Now Motor Glider Records

If you assume the landout spot in your back pocket is there and the motor doesn't start, then you may get killed.

If you assume the landout spot in your back pocket is there and the motor starts,...
Forum: Soaring March 18th 17, 05:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sierra Whiskey
All US Records are Now Motor Glider Records

No, I have flown many miles in a "real" pure glider. In fact, I have flown records and record attempts in a pure glider. And it is embarrassing to think that my records and attempts in a pure glider...
Forum: Soaring March 18th 17, 02:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sierra Whiskey
All US Records are Now Motor Glider Records

To my point, if a retrieve Crew is far cheaper than being a glider equipped with a landing prevention option, then why do pI lots make the investment. Psychologically they are more comfortable flying...
Forum: Soaring March 17th 17, 10:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sierra Whiskey
All US Records are Now Motor Glider Records

"Yes there are people who don't do this - the NTSA accident database is rife with them."

This is the issue with Motor Gliders right here. The fact that some people (not all) will assume the risk to...
Forum: Soaring March 8th 17, 05:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sierra Whiskey
Make Sailplane Racing Great Again

FWIW,

I do enjoy racing and want to see sailplane racing gain popularity in the US. I enjoy the challenge of utilizing the same course and weather to measure speed and performance. I like to think...
Forum: Soaring February 7th 17, 03:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sierra Whiskey
Oldie and Power Flarm

I have my Power Flarm feeding my SN-10 and my SN-10 feeding my Oudie. All three of the units have their own unique way of displaying traffic alerts. I particularly like the Oudie display for longer...
Forum: Soaring February 2nd 17, 09:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sierra Whiskey
US club class definition

No argument there, it is difficult to quantify the climb performance utilizing upward moving air. This would take some evaluation of the wing loading and sink rate at thermaling speeds.

That in...
Forum: Soaring February 2nd 17, 04:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sierra Whiskey
US club class definition

I like the explanation of "Club Class" on the FAI site:
"The Club Class arose to provide international level competition in club-type gliders for the large number of talented pilots who could not...
Forum: Soaring February 1st 17, 05:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sierra Whiskey
US club class definition

It seems like the FAI list of club class gliders and their handicaps is simple and straight forward. Doesn't it make sense to adopt the FAI standard in reference to Club Class competition? The FAI...
Forum: Soaring February 1st 17, 04:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sierra Whiskey
US club class definition

I always find it hard to believe that an LS-8, ASW-28, and Discus 2 are considered "club" class. Seems a little modern and pricey for the average "club". Those are considered the top gliders of their...
Forum: Soaring January 9th 17, 02:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sierra Whiskey
Proper Std. Cirrus class

The Standard Cirrus is a Standard Class Aircraft. (15-Meter Wingspan, No Flaps)
Forum: Soaring April 26th 16, 09:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sierra Whiskey
LS3a vs Pegasus

I certainly enjoy flying my LS-3A. JJ hit the nail on the head when he said it is the most comfortable glider to sit in. Comfort was important to me as I have conducted multiple 700+ km OLC flights...
Forum: Soaring August 17th 15, 12:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sierra Whiskey
SSA responds to ANPRM

Sad story.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/17/three-dead-in-midair-collision-small-planes-authorities-say/

If only they BOTH had Transponders?
Forum: Soaring August 12th 15, 04:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Sierra Whiskey
SSA responds to ANPRM

FWIW:

1) Transponders will give a false sense of security and teach vigilant glider pilots to trust that ATC is keeping tabs on their location for traffic deconfliction. This will result in less...