Search: Posts made by: Paul Villinski
Forum: Soaring February 28th 18, 05:07 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Paul Villinski
Dg400 rigging tips

Steve, Congrats on your new DG-400 -- wonderful glider, and to me, the real "sweet spot" in the price/performance continuum for self-launchers. I have DG-400 No. 150 from 1985 and assemble alone with...
Forum: Soaring July 14th 17, 03:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Paul Villinski
Soaring and sailing: anyone successfully divide their time betweenthe two, or better pursued as different life phases?

I know there are plenty of guys who come into soaring after years of sailing. Wings horizontal in one and vertical in the other.... Is there anyone managing to do both to their satisfaction,...
Forum: Soaring May 16th 17, 04:42 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Paul Villinski
TST 14M on W&W

The glider in question was imported from the Czech Republic and intended to be used by the nominal US distributor for TeST Gliders as a demonstrator. He seemed to lose interest in the project and...
Forum: Soaring May 16th 17, 04:01 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Paul Villinski
DG 400 and density altitude

I have launched in an ASW-24E at Black Forest in early July at a density
altitude approaching 9,000'. It took over 3,000 feet of ground run and
a clear departure path to do it.

Worth...
Forum: Soaring April 26th 17, 11:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Paul Villinski
DG 400 and density altitude

My experience, self-launching in Marfa, TX, elevation 4850', on very hot days is that the 400 climbs out very well -- at least 400'/minute. This without changing the jets from those normally used at...
Forum: Soaring March 22nd 17, 04:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Paul Villinski
All US Records are Now Motor Glider Records

This has been a fascinating discussion. From my perspective as a weekend warrior flying a 32-year-old DG-400 just for fun, I have a couple of thoughts.. The idea that the high price of...
Forum: Soaring March 11th 17, 11:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Paul Villinski
Cold weather operations for two-stroke self-launchers?

And how did you handle it, turn back and land? Or resolve the situation in another way? Was engine performance compromised enough to threaten your safety?
Forum: Soaring March 11th 17, 03:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Paul Villinski
Cold weather operations for two-stroke self-launchers?

Thanks for the input -- has anyone had issues with carb icing on a self-launcher? Not something I have ever given any thought to. Specifically in reference to Tillotson carbs on the 505. There may be...
Forum: Soaring March 8th 17, 02:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Paul Villinski
Cold weather operations for two-stroke self-launchers?

Can anyone with experience self-launching in cold winter conditions share germane experience? Any specific concerns or issues operating an air-cooled, two-stroke at, or near, freezing temps? Any...
Forum: Soaring February 21st 17, 06:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Paul Villinski
Flight following for sailplane XC flights?

Does anyone ever request flight following during long cross-country flights, in order to have ATC provide separation and keep an eye out? Or is this a ridiculous idea, especially given that you'd...
Forum: Soaring February 21st 17, 05:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Paul Villinski
Can ADS-B provide position information for Search and Rescue?

That's not quite my question -- glider has Spot tracker -- it's more a question of whether, in addition to ADS-B's intended traffic awareness/avoidance function and the possible cockpit display of...
Forum: Soaring February 18th 17, 05:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Paul Villinski
Can ADS-B provide position information for Search and Rescue?

Trig says the TN72 ($359) and TA70 antenna ($345) will start shipping second quarter of this year. Because I usually fly in busy airspace near New York City, and I rarely fly competitions or with a...
Forum: Soaring February 15th 17, 04:46 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Paul Villinski
Can ADS-B provide position information for Search and Rescue?

Google first, post second. From the FAA website:

The highly precise GPS-based surveillance provided by ADS-B also improves the ability to perform life-saving search and rescue missions. Air traffic...
Forum: Soaring February 15th 17, 04:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Paul Villinski
Can ADS-B provide position information for Search and Rescue?

Wondering if ADS-B equipped aircraft have any advantage should they need search and rescue, given that they broadcast their ID and coordinates. Is positional information logged by the ground...
Forum: Soaring February 6th 17, 02:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Paul Villinski
Single Ground Buss?? Question clarified I hope

Kevin, I have a DG-400, too, and contemplate adding separate battery(s) for intstruments, as you are doing. Where are you locating the new batteries, in the baggage area in front of the spar? Good...
Forum: Soaring January 21st 17, 04:01 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Paul Villinski
Taking US registered Experimental Glider to Canada?

Just as a "hypothetical," say one wanted to relocate to Canada for a period of, say, four years or so -- maybe eight, maybe permanently.... And one owns a glider registered in the Experimental,...
Forum: Soaring December 11th 16, 07:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Paul Villinski
all-weather covers from Kerry Cover Co. Ltd.

I've had two sets of Kerry covers on two different ships. The first set, purchased from Wings and Wheels, held up very well. Manufacturing was without issues, and the covers yellowed slightly over a...
Forum: Soaring August 11th 16, 02:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Paul Villinski
Low cost ADS-B Options

2. It will be great to see it with "meets requirements of .. " TSO-C145c type language so it can be used in experimental aircraft, including experimental gliders for "2020 complaint" ADS-B Out...
Forum: Soaring June 5th 16, 03:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Paul Villinski
WTB: Zaon PCAS MRX

Looking for one of these units in known working condition. Please PM me if you have one which FLARM had rendered redundant, etc. paul (at) paulvillinski (dot) com. Thanks--
Forum: Soaring March 8th 16, 04:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Paul Villinski
Wedekind Sleeve Source?

Kevin, I have the set-up you describe on my 400: Wedekind sleeves on ailerons, and the plastic sleeves on dive brakes. I got the safety sleeves from Pacific Aerosport. This works very well for me,...
Forum: Soaring March 6th 16, 02:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Paul Villinski
Dolphin flying

The Schuemann article is very interesting, indeed -- thanks for posting it!
Forum: Soaring February 28th 16, 03:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Paul Villinski
Dolphin flying

Could any of you shed some light on use of flaps while dolphin flying? I.e., in my DG-400, cruising at 70 - 75 knots with -4 degrees flaps, if I fly under a cloud and want to maximize the climb...
Forum: Soaring January 26th 16, 03:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Paul Villinski
Winter musing - Poll on Bugs

Wonder if we'll notice any difference as a result of the bat die off? !

Karl, from my limited knowledge, the bats are mainly eating moths -- both are nocturnal.
Forum: Soaring October 22nd 15, 05:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Paul Villinski
Rotax 505 Mechanics/Rebuilders

http://www.kodiakbs.com/service-and-repair-center

This site lists a number of service centers. I have a 505 in a 1985 DG 400, and as far as I can tell, it is identical to the much more common 503 in...
Forum: Soaring June 24th 15, 05:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Paul Villinski
Brake Drum needed for a 1984 Cobra

I got one two years ago from John Murray at Eastern Sailplane, for an '89 Cobra with the four-lug hub. Expect he should have them in stock.