Forum: Soaring March 29th 20, 10:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soaring already DOA for the season???

I think this thread is making me queasy..
Forum: Soaring December 24th 19, 05:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SZD 55-1 NEO?

By “bad on start” do you mean wing dropping?
Forum: Soaring December 21st 19, 05:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SZD 55-1 NEO?

I see in the pics it has small curved wingtips but no more info.
Forum: Soaring December 21st 19, 05:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SZD 55-1 NEO?

Does anyone know what’s new about the 55-1 NEO
announced by SZD this week??
Forum: Soaring November 4th 19, 06:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GLIDING INTERNATIONAL -- RESEARCH

The good old days, when you didn’t have to worry about a motor starting and there was NO chance of dying in a fiery crash, unless you hit a fuel truck.
Forum: Soaring October 31st 19, 02:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gliding risk....

Well, I challenge you to find any study where gliding isn’t AT LEAST as dangerous as motorcycling.
Forum: Soaring October 31st 19, 12:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gliding risk....

For those who haven’t seen it....

https://chessintheair.com/the-risk-of-dying-doing-what-we-love/
Forum: Soaring August 14th 19, 11:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flaps/No flaps...practical difference??

No, not looking at the Libelle. I know they’re well loved but I’ve never flown one. Looking for a new ship to avoid ownership hassles over the next 15-20 yrs that I plan to fly.
Forum: Soaring August 14th 19, 11:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flaps/No flaps...practical difference??

Looking like “no flap” for sure. Lots of great responses. Appreciate them all. Words like “simple”, “predictable “ and “sweet handling” are what I hoped to hear.
Forum: Soaring August 14th 19, 09:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flaps/No flaps...practical difference??

The world isn’t flat???
Forum: Soaring August 12th 19, 11:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flaps/No flaps...practical difference??

For simple long pleasure flights in the western US or for the rare flights in the Alps would I notice any real PRACTICAL difference between a Discus 2c and other flapped 18m ships? I have NO...
Forum: Soaring July 26th 19, 04:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
what is that noise?

I've heard that in hundreds of videos, more often in two seaters. Watch a few Duo Discus vids, you'll see what it mean. I believe it's almost certainly the spar stubs rubbing.
Forum: Soaring July 4th 19, 05:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
30 Jun LS-4 Accident?

It’s not a counting game for my amusement. We all should be concerned about gliding accidents, especially fatal ones. Who here hasn’t learned something from other people’s mistakes?As to...
Forum: Soaring July 4th 19, 12:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
30 Jun LS-4 Accident?

The accidents are getting too numerous to keep up with!
Hit a fence/fence post?? Another fatality.
Forum: Soaring July 2nd 19, 01:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sad Day

It continues.
Forum: Soaring June 22nd 19, 03:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ventus 3T Crash

Not sure.
Forum: Soaring June 22nd 19, 06:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ventus 3T Crash

Happened 16 June shortly after tow release during a test flight from the Schempp Hirth factory. Pilot killed
Forum: Soaring May 29th 19, 04:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Another EXTREMELY low thermal save

And you sound like someone who knows a lot about little old ladies, but nothing about aerodynamics or the hazards of low level thermaling.
Forum: Soaring May 26th 19, 10:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Interested in Winch Launching?

Winch launching? No problem! Watch the whole thing.

https://youtu.be/zqPI5ID6IBE
Forum: Soaring May 26th 19, 09:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Another EXTREMELY low thermal save

His response was that in 1800hrs he’s never had an unintended spin. No one ever does...until they do.
Forum: Soaring May 26th 19, 09:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Another EXTREMELY low thermal save

I’m afraid video may be making pilots take these risks.

https://youtu.be/PlXeHeR5Ma8
Forum: Soaring May 25th 19, 11:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Euro Championship

Well surprise!! He won......
Forum: Soaring May 21st 19, 08:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Euro Championship

No doubt, he’s the GOAT, by a mile.
Forum: Soaring May 20th 19, 02:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Euro Championship

He would place well in a 1-26
Forum: Soaring May 16th 19, 05:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Euro Championship

He’s leading in the overall.