Search: Posts made by: John Smith
Forum: Soaring February 24th 12, 11:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By John Smith
Transponder

Am 25.02.12 00:03, schrieb 5 ugly:
Looking for a used transponder. Thanks, 5U

Presently there are many used mode C transponders for sale in Europe.
You might want ot take a look at...
Forum: Soaring February 8th 12, 10:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By John Smith
Duo NV lands on Heavenly Ski Resort. Not kidding...

JohnDeRosa wrote:

I can understand the concern of
the uninitiated especially in a crowded sking environment.

I consider myself pretty much initiated, but I surely would be more than
concerned...
Forum: Soaring February 7th 12, 01:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By John Smith
Duo NV lands on Heavenly Ski Resort. Not kidding...

Sean Fidler wrote:
Agreed. Excellent job landing safely here.

Safely? Safely for whom? Safely for the skiers? Safely for that snow
boarder who reportedly had to duck to not have his head...
Forum: Soaring September 27th 11, 08:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By John Smith
Artificial Horizon HELP!

It depends on what you want it for. If you're planning to do intentional
serious cloud flying, then you should be aware that none of the devices
you've mentioned is TSOed. Legal issues aside, I...
Forum: Soaring September 14th 11, 05:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By John Smith
Transponder: Mode-C or Mode-S?

Eric Greenwell wrote:
What regulation makes it illegal for a glider to use the TT21 between
15,000 and 18,000'?

Of course it's not illegal to turn on a class 2 transponder above 15,000
feet....
Forum: Soaring September 12th 11, 04:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By John Smith
Transponder: Mode-C or Mode-S?

jim wynhoff wrote:
Except for the fact that the folks on the ground that grant the
clearance don't know or care whether you've a Class 1 or Class 2

The price of a TT22 vs TT21 is about $2500 vs...
Forum: Soaring September 12th 11, 12:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By John Smith
Transponder: Mode-C or Mode-S?

Darryl Ramm wrote:
The TT-21 as a Transponder utterly blows away any other transponder
available in the USA for use in gliders.

Just be aware that the TT21 is a class 2 tansponder, i.e. not...
Forum: Soaring September 6th 11, 09:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By John Smith
Two die in Glider mid-air

Walt Connelly wrote:
Hard to think of anything other than pilot error for a mid air.

Yes an no. Fact is, it's impossible for a human to see every threat in
time. Yes, we have to try, but at the...
Forum: Piloting July 27th 11, 08:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By John Smith
Flying internationally

cavelltodd wrote:
Say you're an American pilot flying to Germany. What language is used
when communicating with the tower? Does the American pilot have to be

ATC and the tower of bigger...
Forum: Soaring July 15th 11, 09:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By John Smith
MSL vs. AGL (Again)

T8 wrote:
Is there even *one* good argument for setting the altimeter to zero on
the runway?

Aerobatics. ;-)

Other than that: no.
Forum: Soaring July 14th 11, 03:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By John Smith
Aviation Oxygen Locations in Chicago Area?

Bill D wrote:
BTW, I think Mythbusters had a program on what happens if you break
the valve off a high pressure cylinder. IIRC, reality didn't quite
live up to the urban myths.

Actually, it...
Forum: Piloting June 23rd 11, 07:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By John Smith
Electriflying

Alpha Propellerhead wrote:
and in fact the French called them "fliers or liars"

In fact, I'm almost certain that the French didn't call them English
names. I'm even almost certain that they...
Forum: Soaring May 18th 11, 09:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By John Smith
Weather humour

jsbrake wrote:
Q: Where do the weather forecasters go for a drink after work?

Looking at the forecasts, it sometimes seems to me that they rather
drink before work.
Forum: Soaring May 17th 11, 01:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By John Smith
Foka 4 fatal crash

Al Eddie wrote:
Do we know if the person who rigged this
aircraft was aware of this potential fatal problem?

Yes there has been - RTFM...!

Let me guess: You haven't read the accident...
Forum: Soaring April 30th 11, 12:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By John Smith
2-33s now made of gold?

Bart wrote:
Well, what other two seaters are there in the 20k price range? Are
there any?

My sofa was way cheaper and has about the same glide ratio.
Forum: Soaring April 29th 11, 11:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By John Smith
US Air Force buys 19 DG-1000 trainiers

DG just published a picture of the first completed trainer doing its
maiden flight:
http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/foto-11-05.html
Forum: Soaring April 12th 11, 03:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By John Smith
PZL EZS-3 Turn and slip

jcarlyle wrote:
My brain tells me to stay out of clouds...

Then you should never fly in a commercial airliner.

Your brain seems to not be aware that there are places in the world
where cloud...
Forum: Soaring April 12th 11, 10:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By John Smith
PZL EZS-3 Turn and slip

Michael Clarke wrote:
But do make sure the polarity is correct. Our glider got returned from
maintenance some years ago with the polarity reversed. Discovered that in
the middle of a cloud...
Forum: Soaring April 12th 11, 10:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By John Smith
PZL EZS-3 Turn and slip

StaPo wrote:
On 11 dub, 22:15, wrote:

Has anyone got the connection details please ?...
There is a 3 pin connector on the rear - It is also labled 4v 40ma
Forum: Soaring March 25th 11, 01:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By John Smith
US Air Force buys 19 DG-1000 trainiers

kirk.stant wrote:
As far as acro in a glider - hmm, seems teaching acro in a glider to a
cadet who will move on to F-22s might be a good thing. Sure would
teach unusual attitudes, situation...
Forum: Soaring March 22nd 11, 12:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By John Smith
US Air Force buys 19 DG-1000 trainiers

http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/?id=559#Presse
Forum: Soaring March 5th 11, 09:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By John Smith
New small transponder

Am 05.03.11 02:10, schrieb Bruce Hoult:
- what is the likely safety implication of flying above 15000 with a
TT21?

I suspect the answer is "none whatsoever".

The word "suspect" says that you...
Forum: Soaring March 4th 11, 07:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By John Smith
New small transponder

Darryl Ramm wrote:
The TT21 is a class 2 transponder and therefore *not* suited for
gliders. If you choose to go with Trig, then do yourself a favour and
buy the TT22.

The TT21 is very...
Forum: Soaring March 4th 11, 12:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By John Smith
New small transponder

Am 04.03.11 13:01, schrieb Nigel Cottrell:
This looks a lot like the Trig 21 which I have had fitted in a powered
plane for about 18 months and am very happy with.

Forum: Soaring February 23rd 11, 09:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By John Smith
Winglet performance

Greenwell wrote:
However, I do notice an improvement in slow-speed handling with my
winglets on.

Noel echos my experience, and it's not just in flight, but on the ground

The main benefit of...