Search: Posts made by: J a c k
Forum: Soaring September 22nd 08, 07:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By J a c k
Children in gliders?

Vaughn Simon wrote:

Parachute? What parachute? Chutes are neither required nor common in two
seat gliders in the USA. They are fairly common in single seat gliders, but in
non-aero...
Forum: Soaring August 21st 08, 04:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By J a c k
The Space Shuttle started with auto tow

Jim Beckman wrote:
At 14:08 20 August 2008, Bill Daniels wrote:
http://www.spacemart.com/reports/The_M2_F1_An_Aircraft_Without_Wings_999.html

Isn't it a bit of a stretch to consider this to...
Forum: Soaring August 20th 08, 04:58 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By J a c k
another example of bungled news reporting

jb92563 wrote:

Fear mongering and sensationalism is common practice amoungst groups
seeking to influence and control others.

Cases in point - religion and politics.

And USENET rants.
Forum: Naval Aviation August 17th 08, 07:22 PM Posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Posted By J a c k
Pakistan's Musharraf to resign as president

La N wrote:

The first is, the bombing(s) of a wedding party was a terrible error.
Given. The Americans don't bomb innocent civilians intentionally.

Not an error. Merely an unfortunate...
Forum: Soaring August 9th 08, 02:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By J a c k
canopy tint

Doug Hoffman wrote:

How about oleo struts on the landing gear with an air pump that
raised and lowered the whole glider in sync with a loud boom
shacka lacka from the built in music system...
Forum: Soaring August 7th 08, 05:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By J a c k
Leading Turns with Rudder - Revisited

Jim White wrote:

...what's the lowest height one should start an
aerobatic manoeuvre?

How low do you want to recover?
Forum: Soaring August 1st 08, 03:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By J a c k
How to do a Positive Control Check?

ZL wrote:

Do you do a positive control check on the towplane?

Absolutely! Every time I assemble one.

Jack
Forum: Soaring August 1st 08, 08:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By J a c k
Leading Turns With Rudder

user wrote:

...where did I leave my copy of The Zen of Gliding?

"noel.wade" wrote...

IMHO the best pilots are the ones who "detach" themselves and shift
their...
Forum: Soaring August 1st 08, 08:12 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By J a c k
Leading Turns With Rudder

noel.wade wrote:

IMHO the best pilots are the ones who "detach" themselves and shift
their Point Of View to that of the aircraft itself. They aren't
thinking about the flight in terms of how...
Forum: Soaring July 30th 08, 03:02 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By J a c k
Mapping Glider Locations

COLIN LAMB wrote:
"97.5 Station license grant required.
(a) The station apparatus MUST BE UNDER THE PHYSICAL CONTROL of a person
named in an amateur station license grant on the ULS...
Forum: Naval Aviation May 9th 08, 09:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.military,alt.military,us.military.army,us.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Posted By J a c k
the F-15 is 1960s technology - F-22 Raptor is 1980s tech - willthere be a NEW air-superiority fighter?

wrote:

So their aircraft isn't really an aircraft development program,
it's a leen on your grandchildren's homes.

There'll be mighty lean times trying to pay off that...
Forum: Soaring May 8th 08, 06:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By J a c k
Transponder Inspection Not Required?

Steve wrote:

This is safety equipment. If you're going to carry it, get it properly
maintained. Do you get your parachute repacked regularly? Same issue.

If it is the "same issue" as the...
Forum: Naval Aviation April 24th 08, 03:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.army
Posted By J a c k
"Analyst: Obama Would Be A Nightmare For Defense Programs, Firms"

Peter Skelton wrote:

...recognise your irrational hatred of [Carter]
and start looking things up.

Sure, there are plenty of rational reasons to dislike Carter, in
addition to his being a...
Forum: Naval Aviation April 24th 08, 02:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.army
Posted By J a c k
"Analyst: Obama Would Be A Nightmare For Defense Programs, Firms"

Jack Linthicum wrote:

Carter, the closest thing we have ever had to a real active duty
officer, not staff or command, wanted everything justified and cut if
unjustified.

"Ever" is a long...
Forum: Naval Aviation April 20th 08, 02:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Posted By J a c k
Free-falling clams....

Mike wrote:

[....]

Although the Air Force is wildlife friendly....

Yeah, we always worried about collateral damage to those Communist
sympathizing water buffalo, birds, and monkeys.
Forum: Soaring April 15th 08, 09:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By J a c k
High Coors

I hope the field dries
soon enough comes our winter
too much false Haiku

-----
-------
-----

Jack
Forum: Soaring April 9th 08, 02:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By J a c k
UAVs - a growing midair concern?

vontresc wrote:

On Apr 9, 8:15 am, J a c k wrote:

fredsez wrote:

Use a little reason and rational thought. Unless you, your self want
to threaten people with...
Forum: Soaring April 9th 08, 02:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring

fredsez wrote:

Use a little reason and rational thought. Unless you, your self want
to threaten people with harm, you have nothing to fear. If you want to
aid and abet criminal activities, I...
Forum: Soaring April 9th 08, 12:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By J a c k
Adding an airplane rating to private pilot glider

wrote:

I'm sure I'll be presented with a good reason to do a go around.
Hopefully though it won't be because I didn't fly the pattern
properly.

It probably won't be...
Forum: Soaring April 7th 08, 11:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By J a c k
Adding an airplane rating to private pilot glider

wrote:

I have to say that I don't get this whole Go Around thing. Other than
in my initial lessons with the power instructor I have never been in a
pattern that I had to...
Forum: Soaring April 4th 08, 04:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By J a c k
NTSB issues recommendations...regarding transponder use....

Mike Schumann wrote:

...we should try to get all aircraft equipped with transponders.

This is not sufficient, even if practical.

...negotiate an agreement to require transponders in all...
Forum: Soaring April 4th 08, 03:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By J a c k
NTSB issues recommendations...regarding transponder use....

Mike Schumann wrote:

Having a transponder is not a panacea, in that it will not protect you from
a 172 or other VFR traffic that doesn't happen to see you, either due to a
lack of attention,...
Forum: Soaring April 2nd 08, 05:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By J a c k
(USA) NTSB issues recommendations to the FAA and the SSA regardingtransponder use in gliders

Darryl Ramm wrote:

On Apr 1, 3:23 pm, "Tim Mara" wrote:
I agree completely.....PCAS would be a good and very affordable option for
glider pilots...
allowing (or...
Forum: Soaring March 10th 08, 09:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By J a c k
Turn and Bank indicator and competition

JJ Sinclair wrote:
On Mar 10, 10:49 am, J a c k wrote:
AK wrote:
...flying in clouds is illegal in gliders....
Cite?

Jack

Flying in clouds is illegal in...
Forum: Soaring March 10th 08, 05:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring