Search: Posts made by: Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas
Forum: Soaring October 12th 18, 08:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
instruments for sale

Very interested in the B40.
marfagliders (at) A0L(dot)com
Forum: Soaring October 4th 18, 03:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Trailer for Schweizer 1-36

When Bob Ball (R.I.P) brought his his nice (never a club ship) Schweizer 1-36 to fly wave at Marfa, TX and sold it to me in 2004, he kept the home-built trailer as it was apparently a "universal" box...
Forum: Soaring September 30th 18, 04:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CFI-G

On Sunday, September 30, 2018 at 8:59:00 AM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
On Friday, September 28, 2018 at 11:14:09 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:

61.183.f says you must pass an aeronautical test...
Forum: Soaring September 26th 18, 09:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marfa Gliders is NOT closing!

On Thursday, September 20, 2018 at 12:46:17 PM UTC-5, wrote:
You know they’re car headlights on a distant road, right?

Yes, 99% are distant car lights on the highway up from...
Forum: Soaring September 26th 18, 08:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vintage & Classic Sailplane Camp at Marfa, Texas OCT 12-28, 2018

When visiting me in Marfa for the upcoming "Oktoberfest" Vintage & Classic Sailplane Camp. plan on evening grilling, glorious sunsets and star-gazing in "Burt's Backyard", facing north across the...
Forum: Soaring September 19th 18, 11:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marfa Gliders is NOT closing!

Burt here. I'm NOT retiring, I just downsizing my fleet, selling a hangar, offering my collection of vintage music instruments for sale, specifically:

My beautifully restored 1946 Piper J-3 Cub...
Forum: Soaring September 18th 18, 07:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gliders and more for sale at Marfa, Texas

Just downsizing (I'm not retiring or closing) at Marfa, Texas!
Photos and more details by e-mail only (no texts / no phone calls) to burtcompton (at) aol (dot) com
Offered for sale:

1946 Piper J3...
Forum: Soaring August 14th 18, 02:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vintage & Classic Sailplane Camp at Marfa, Texas OCT 12-28, 2018

60 days to go! RSVP NOW for my Oktoberfest Vintage and Classic Sailplane Camp is October 12 to 28, 2018 at Marfa in southwest Texas, historic site of "The Sun Ship Game" (1969) film and the 15th...
Forum: Soaring July 3rd 18, 04:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vintage & Classic Sailplane Camp at Marfa, Texas OCT 12-28, 2018

Marfa, Texas, Accommodations - WHERE TO STAY: Due to the popularity of Marfa, there is no "slow season!" Almost every weekend we host an art, film or music festival, therefore Marfa has become a...
Forum: Soaring June 26th 18, 05:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vintage & Classic Sailplane Camp at Marfa, Texas OCT 12-28, 2018

On Monday, May 21, 2018 at 6:18:50 PM UTC-5, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
Ever flown in an open-cockpit sailplane?
You can at Marfa, Texas, October 12-28, 2018 in my restored...
Forum: Soaring April 20th 18, 01:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
First glider Nimbus 2 ?

On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 10:00:25 AM UTC-5, Dan Daly wrote:

At the pre-SSA Convention safety talk, one phrase really hit home. Burt Compton said his Dad told him "In aviation, anything you do...
Forum: Soaring April 6th 18, 03:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Club Procedures for Late Day XC Flights

Those were good times as the crews had a wonderful social bond. Getting out ahead of your pilot or driving to the center of the day's triangle task to meet on a hill for better radio reception. The...
Forum: Soaring April 6th 18, 03:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Club Procedures for Late Day XC Flights

At Marfa Gliders in southwest Texas, every pilot has to bring a dedicated crew. (Watch "The Sun Ship Game" filmed at the 1969 contest at Marfa to see effective old school crewing.) A crew that is...
Forum: Soaring March 22nd 18, 12:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bennie and the Fonzie Trophy

Hi Bob,
What a wonderful idea!
Burt (currently at the West Palm - Wellington equestrian center.)
Forum: Soaring March 7th 18, 05:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Checkride Boot Camp April 11-19 Marfa, TX

Initial CFI-Glider Boot Camp April 11- 19, 2018.
Plus PVT, COM or CFI-Glider "add-on."
Come prepared and get it done!

Discuss details and dates with me via e-mail at:
marfagliders
at aol
dotty...
Forum: Soaring March 1st 18, 02:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SSA Convention at Reno, FEB 28-MAR 3, 2018

Last night our Soaring Safety Foundation Seminar saw over 200 seats filled and Standing Room Only in the ballroom of the Atlantis Hotel in Reno, NV. Our speakers were entertaining and informative...
Forum: Soaring February 24th 18, 02:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hero emulation

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 7:15:44 AM UTC-6, MNLou wrote:
"When you pull out the rule book you've already lost."

Sorry Greg - When you pull out the rule book, you are a disciplined...
Forum: Soaring February 24th 18, 02:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Self-Launch ground instruction at the convention??

Steve Dee with speak on self-launch training on Wednesday evening, FEB 28 at the SSA Convention in Reno.

This Soaring Safety Foundation Seminar traditionally opens our convention with an...
Forum: Soaring February 24th 18, 02:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SSA Convention at Reno, FEB 28-MAR 3, 2018

This Wednesday, FEB 28 at the SSA Convention in Reno, the Soaring Safety Foundation Seminar traditionally opens our convention with an entertaining and informative group of presenters,
author Bob...
Forum: Soaring February 14th 18, 04:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SSA Convention at Reno, FEB 28-MAR 3, 2018

Greetings from Marfa, Texas! I’m going to the SSA Convention at Reno FEB 27 - MAR 3.

Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new friends, along with being in the presence of many legends...
Forum: Soaring February 7th 18, 02:53 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SSA Convention at Reno, FEB 28-MAR 3, 2018

The Soaring Safety Foundation (SSF) Seminar officially kicks off your SSA Convention on Wednesday evening (FEB 26) at 6 PM in the Atlantis Resort Hotel Grand ballroom.
The SSF seminar will...
Forum: Soaring January 30th 18, 03:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SSA Convention at Reno, FEB 28-MAR 3, 2018

The SOARING SAFETY FOUNDATION (SSF) invites you to participate in our training and safety presentations during the Soaring Society of America Convention at the Reno Convention Center, next to the...
Forum: Soaring January 20th 18, 02:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looping a standard cirrus

On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 3:42:20 AM UTC-6, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 1:57:46 PM UTC+13, wrote:
Who has done a loop in a standard cirrus?

Forum: Soaring January 20th 18, 01:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looping a standard cirrus

On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 6:57:46 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Who has done a loop in a standard cirrus? Any comments or hints. Currently getting some acro training with the goal of...
Forum: Soaring January 14th 18, 03:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ground School Presentation Materials

The Soaring Safety Foundation (SSF), the training and safety unit of the Soaring Society of America, has free videos and more at www.soaringsafety.org

I can also recommend Bob Wander's brilliant...