Search: Posts made by: krasw
Forum: Soaring October 1st 18, 12:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Rechargeable Zinc-Air battery moves closer to commercialization

perjantai 28. syyskuuta 2018 18.58.43 UTC+3 Martin Gregorie kirjoitti:

By comparison, the Gen 2 FES battery has 14 cells, each of 2.1 kWh, or
29.4 kWh for the standard 14 cell pack, so an hPh...
Forum: Soaring October 1st 18, 08:42 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Glider crash near Reno yesterday

After almost all accidents pilots start to speculate about technical issues, weather, turbulence etc. as a main reason for accident. Statistics show that glider accidents cause by technical reasons...
Forum: Soaring September 27th 18, 06:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Glider crash near Reno yesterday

On Thursday, 27 September 2018 19:28:44 UTC+3, Tango Whisky wrote:
This is actually quite helpful. "Loops" means up and down, not spiral dive, and paraglider pilots know the difference. Nobody...
Forum: Soaring September 13th 18, 06:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Vermont Fatalities Today

On Thursday, 13 September 2018 08:25:31 UTC+3, wrote:

Sorry guys, I was in the process of cleaning this up and deleting the stuff about how we got into the x87 business,...
Forum: Soaring September 10th 18, 12:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Glider Cockpit Safety

maanantai 10. syyskuuta 2018 13.08.08 UTC+3 waremark kirjoitti:
Is there any aircraft which has room for a ballistic shute and an engine aft of the cockpit? I think it is the popularity of engines...
Forum: Soaring September 10th 18, 06:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Glider Cockpit Safety

On Sunday, 9 September 2018 19:26:19 UTC+3, Ramy wrote:
Ballistic chutes would save more lives then safety cockpit. Too bad that ballistic chutes are not built into every glider. There would be...
Forum: Soaring September 7th 18, 09:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Too many accidents

keskiviikko 5. syyskuuta 2018 23.35.53 UTC+3 Andrzej Kobus kirjoitti:

Unfortunately, accidents have always been part of the sport. We have more slippery gliders, fly at higher wing...
Forum: Soaring September 5th 18, 03:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Vario Comparison

keskiviikko 5. syyskuuta 2018 8.22.14 UTC+3 2G kirjoitti:

What I know is I don't have a Kalman filter going in my head: but I do have a butt which feels vertical acceleration. If it doesn't tell...
Forum: Soaring August 30th 18, 06:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Js3 jet catastrophic failure.

On Thursday, 30 August 2018 10:21:58 UTC+3, Mike Borgelt wrote:

Don't forget that the Solo company makes aero engines ... and garden equipment, so your Solo engined glider has an engine derived...
Forum: Soaring August 27th 18, 10:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
9/4 Webinar

On Monday, 27 August 2018 14:16:58 UTC+3, Martin Gregorie wrote:

Did you raise a bug report?

Yes.
Forum: Soaring August 27th 18, 07:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
9/4 Webinar

On Monday, 27 August 2018 05:39:00 UTC+3, Tom BravoMike wrote:

BTW, the main complaint against XCSoar is that it's not intuitive nor transparent in its abundant functions and options (hence...
Forum: Soaring August 15th 18, 07:46 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Flying with Parachutes

On Tuesday, 14 August 2018 18:14:39 UTC+3, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 3:51:23 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
tiistai 14. elokuuta 2018 7.10.18 UTC+3 Jonathan St. Cloud...
Forum: Soaring August 15th 18, 07:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
What magic do the JS3 and Ventus 3 have that the ASG-29 Does not?

On Wednesday, 15 August 2018 07:07:58 UTC+3, Charlie Quebec wrote:
Given that manufacturers give gliders to comp pilots for WC as a marketing tool, as shown by Schemp lending Adam Woolley a V3 for...
Forum: Soaring August 14th 18, 11:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Flying with Parachutes

tiistai 14. elokuuta 2018 7.10.18 UTC+3 Jonathan St. Cloud kirjoitti:

I do fly commercial rides at our gliderport were parachutes would not be practical on the scenic flights.

That's an...
Forum: Soaring August 13th 18, 01:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
What magic do the JS3 and Ventus 3 have that the ASG-29 Does not?

sunnuntai 12. elokuuta 2018 23.20.32 UTC+3 Bojack J4 kirjoitti:
After the definitive spanking these two new models gave to the previously dominant ASG-29,
there has to be a superiority. So, what...
Forum: Soaring August 9th 18, 08:02 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
SeeYou

I used v3.9 for years without subscription, and then upgraded to v7.1, again using it after subscription expiry for 4 years. Absolutely no problems whatsoever.
Forum: Soaring August 9th 18, 07:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Test results LiFePO4 glider batteries after 6 years

I installed a small coulometer (with LCD-display, available from Ebay) between my charger and battery. I can also discharge battery (with car tail light bulb as load) with coulometer. For example,...
Forum: Soaring August 4th 18, 11:23 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
U.S. Standard Class Nationals - Mike Westbrook leading DAY3 - FriAug 3rd no fly day

How many threads do you need for US std. class nationals day 3, let alone for whole competition?
Forum: Soaring July 24th 18, 11:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
US team silence

Few points from Ostrow WGC.

1) OGN network was quite spotty, I doubt that "ground controllers" were of any use. Most of the gliders were in sight in large gaggles, no need to flarm radar. Letting...
Forum: Soaring July 18th 18, 08:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Dream Panel

Air Glide S for inertial vario and wind
Biggest LX90x0 you can fit into panel
Powerflarm
AIR ACD altimeter (for transponder and radio)
AIR Traffic display for flarm alerts
Winter 80mm ASI, not the...
Forum: Soaring July 17th 18, 10:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Cobra trailer aluminum vs fiberglass top

I haven't ever seen metal top Cobra that requires painting. I have never seen glass top that doesn't.
Forum: Soaring July 11th 18, 06:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
AS 33

For race, you would want exatcly "low energy glider", competitions are not flown at vne & FL180. I wouldn't call V3 that, but if it will come out as good climbing glider it is a winner. Historically,...
Forum: Soaring July 9th 18, 07:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Tracking from WGC in Poland

On Monday, 9 July 2018 19:50:56 UTC+3, wrote:

There is not enough good OGN receivers in competition area, that is clear. That's why tracking does not work. Even...
Forum: Soaring July 9th 18, 05:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Tracking from WGC in Poland

On Monday, 9 July 2018 18:05:09 UTC+3, wrote:
Organisers are currently learning how to make proper use of live tracking.. It requires significant lead time to set this...
Forum: Soaring June 25th 18, 04:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Butterfly vario waypoints

Copy cup-file (or files) to waypoint-folder on your Air Glide USB stick, insert into vario and press synchronize.