Forum: Soaring September 9th 18, 10:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider Cockpit Safety

This may be of interest :

https://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/en/library/safety-does-not-sell

Nick.
Forum: Soaring July 25th 18, 11:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DG 100 group(s)

I was hoping something like this existed also. The DG/LS group is a bit general I think. I have some specific questions about cockpit headrest and sealing.

So, i created one...
Forum: Soaring July 19th 18, 11:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AK-X swept wing sailplane

The Treaty of Versailles?

Guess where the German market domnination came from...
Forum: Soaring June 25th 18, 11:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Libelle

The 301 aerofoil is a lot thinner & designed for flaps so very different.

I have spoken to Christian Streifeneder regarding turbulators, he has pointed out that there may be a case for putting them...
Forum: Soaring April 30th 18, 10:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DG-100 Headrest

Thanks for the input everyone. The automotive headrest is the approach i've chosen

Cheers,
Nick.

On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 7:28:40 AM UTC+9:30, wrote:
Like RO, I'm also...
Forum: Soaring April 23rd 18, 01:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DG-100 Headrest

Cheers for the info.

I find without the backrest i'm more reclined, which makes the angle at which I need to hold my head worse.

I'm currently having a look at aftermarket 'clip-on' style...
Forum: Soaring April 23rd 18, 12:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DG-100 Headrest

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to get comfortable in a DG-100 that currently has no headrest, and am finding that my neck gets sore quite quickly without one. I'm 6'3 and am very reclined in the cockpit (I...
Forum: Soaring February 6th 18, 09:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SGP vs. Normal Racing

I agree that the SGP style of GP racing is likely to be more dangerous than normal competitions, but it's possible to run GP race without using the SGP rules which mitigates at least part of the...
Forum: Soaring January 7th 18, 08:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Formula 1.0 Grand Prix

The difference between the Jantar Std 2/3 & Std Libelle is 3%, which may be a little narrow - although the Jantars didn't dominate the comp. This may have more to do with the pilots that flew them -...
Forum: Soaring January 1st 18, 12:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Formula 1.0 Grand Prix

How close to the turnpoint you go is relative to your glider handicap. Today Libelles turned 3.1km short, and Jantar STD 2/3 turned at 500m.
Forum: Soaring November 29th 17, 01:42 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Balleka

Was that not a different accident?

Nick

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 11:04:31 AM UTC+10:30, wrote:
On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 12:30:08 PM UTC+3, Mike Oliver
Forum: Soaring November 14th 17, 09:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FS: 4 Becker 4201 radios

What about every other country in the world outside of europe?!

Cheers,
Nick (Australia)

I am sure these are good radios, but since Europe is going to 8.33 channel separation, this will only be...
Forum: Soaring October 15th 17, 07:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Is there a nose hook modification for a standard cirrus

I think it's reasonable to question whether or not the cost of the kit is worthwhile compared with the gain. But it's pretty difficult to argue that there isn't some gain.

In recent years there...
Forum: Soaring October 4th 17, 11:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Is there a nose hook modification for a standard cirrus

There is a factory mod to fit a nose hook as described in Schempp Hirth TN 278-37.

In terms of why you'd want to, most Std Cirruses have a tailskid - tailskid and belly hook can be a challenging...
Forum: Soaring August 18th 17, 03:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Standards for competition reporting

I don't think you need to be logged in to facebook to view a public facebook page - as Sean said above.

For example, try this : https://www.facebook.com/SeanTiff7T/

I am completely logged out of...
Forum: Soaring May 18th 17, 08:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LX Zeus and PowerFlarm -- Communication Problem

I think the Zeus manual is pretty clear - it says the flarm port is an RJ11 using the IGC standard. The IGC standard is very easy to find on the web.

A straight cable with an RJ11 at each end and a...
Forum: Soaring April 19th 17, 09:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Formula 1.0 Grand Prix

I hear what you're saying with regard to the turnpoint handicapping system - it is vaguely complicated. Having said that, spectators will see the gliders leave, and they'll know that whoever crosses...
Forum: Soaring April 17th 17, 09:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Formula 1.0 Grand Prix

You're right - the SZD-59 would be eligible. It's likely that it doesn't have a club class handicap in Australia because one has never attended a club class comp (I think there is only one here). If...
Forum: Soaring April 5th 17, 10:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Formula 1.0 Grand Prix

Hi All,

Next season in Australia there will be a new competition, dubbed Formula 1.0 as it is a Grand Prix style contest that revolves around the current Australian Club Class handicap point of 1.0,...
Forum: Soaring October 10th 16, 12:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Any news/update on GP Gliders?

Is there a 13.5m class at Benalla? I was under the impression it was Open/15m/18m.

Nick.
Forum: Soaring September 12th 16, 12:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Libelle spoilers

Are the airbrakes stiff over their whole range? Or is it just the over-centre that's difficult to overcome?

Nick.
Forum: Soaring September 8th 16, 03:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Good sailplanes for tall pilots?

Mosquito, Jantar & Pik-20 have enormous cockpits.

I'm 6-3 and fit in the above with room to spare.

Nick.
Forum: Soaring September 8th 16, 03:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
History Question - 1983 Worlds in Hobbs

Ake Pettersson flew a Cirrus I used to own at the 1974 World Comps in Waikerie, Australia. I contacted him via email, and he sent me a stack of photos of the glider during the comp - you should try...
Forum: Soaring August 30th 16, 09:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Buying a glider, advice on type and prices

Aerodynamics isn't the issue - gelcoat failure can progress until it's a structural issue.

There are many early Cirrus & Libelle (amongst others) from the early / mid 70s that still flying with...
Forum: Soaring August 21st 16, 10:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Newish radio isn't loud enough

Steve is right - I had the same issue with a 4201. With an 8 ohm speaker the output volume was too quiet. However, if you enter the 4201's setup mode, like this:

"Switch off the VHF transceiver....