Forum: Soaring February 28th 19, 01:03 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
high tow vs low tow

You do realise high and low refer to the slipstream don’t you!?

Speed of tow is the most important thing, I have not had so much flying in the USA but it is a problem at comps here when tug pilots...
Forum: Soaring February 27th 19, 07:02 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
high tow vs low tow

In Australia we now transition higher, I use around 200’ before going into low tow.
I have flown high tow at many overeas comps and still find low tow much more stable.
The only time I fly high tow...
Forum: Soaring February 6th 19, 08:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AN EVENING WITH SEBASTIAN KAWA

Worked fine from Australia. :)
Tom
Forum: Soaring January 23rd 19, 12:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ox Cylinder ASW27

The option is to get a European bottle from Schleicher and use an adapter (DIN-CGA) from mountain high to fit a USA style regulator and to fill.
I have done this with our ASW28 and ASG29.
Tom
Forum: Soaring December 31st 18, 11:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Taildragger Technique for Gliders

I agree too, no issue.
Then again : some people should just take up golf. ;)
Tom
Forum: Soaring December 22nd 18, 11:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Husband and Wife 1000k

I presume you mean “in Canada”?
Many Husband and Wife 1000Ks done elsewhere.
Forum: Soaring December 18th 18, 11:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Oudie 2's needed

The winner of the latest Australian Nationals in 18M and Open classes uses XCsoar, just saying. ;)
Forum: Soaring December 13th 18, 12:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
New Concept for Sailplane "racing"

If the electric energy used is so important how do you think tiny details like glider type will matter?! ;)
Ventus3FES versus GP14 versus Silent etc. 🤔
Forum: Soaring December 10th 18, 12:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Class mobility

“Aldo, thank you for your explanation of the way it works in Italy. I believe that it is the same in UK.

You say that the Ranking List does not allow duplicate entries. I take this to mean that...
Forum: Soaring December 8th 18, 10:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Class mobility

“Do these "phantom" classes give more FAI ranking points to pilots (4 winners instead of 2)? I dont see any other reason for this. “

No.
Forum: Soaring December 8th 18, 10:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Class mobility

Of interest to me is that it looks like only one person (Geoff Brown) chose to "span down" and is flying with his shorter span tips. Everyone else is flying with the longest span their plane can...
Forum: Soaring December 5th 18, 11:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Class mobility

What Matt said.
Our rules require 8 per class minimum, there were not enough 15s or Opens so mixed classes with scoring also for 18 and Standard as they have the numbers.
Handicaps allow slighly...
Forum: Soaring October 22nd 18, 12:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greatful for this group

In a 747 on approach I use pitch for glide angle and thrust for speed, in a glider I don’t. ;)
Forum: Soaring October 4th 18, 01:31 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider crash near Reno September 2nd 2018 (retitled from "yesterday"

“A standard date format would work better if you want to facilitate search. For example 9/2/2018”

But the accident happened in September, not the 9th of February!😉
Forum: Soaring September 11th 18, 09:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Js3 jet catastrophic failure.

Hi Chris, not sure if that would fix every problem. We have had a major fire in Australia possibly caused by a fuel leak from one engine while the other started - creating an ignition source....
Forum: Soaring September 10th 18, 08:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Js3 jet catastrophic failure.

One potential problem with multiple jets is if one starts while the other doesn’t but pumps fuel through.
Good engineering may help but there is a known issue there. (PM)
Forum: Soaring September 5th 18, 06:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Gawthrop(F8)

Sad to hear, we enjoyed their company when he and Diane came out to Australia to fly the Benalla pre-worlds in our ASW28.
He was a true gentleman, he will be missed.
Tom
Forum: Soaring August 22nd 18, 08:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What magic do the JS3 and Ventus 3 have that the ASG-29 Does not?

JS, for real landing flaps you will need to wait for the AS33. ;)
Tom
Forum: Soaring August 21st 18, 08:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
World-Wide Soaring Turnpoint Exchange

Thanks from Australia as well! Makes life easy for comp pilots and organisers.
Tom
Forum: Soaring August 8th 18, 11:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stall spin during aero tow? Std cirrus

The simple facts are that heavily loaded modern gliders need a ****load more speed than older light wingloading gliders.
Some tug pilots seem to not know the difference.
When I am in the tug I reckon...
Forum: Soaring August 2nd 18, 12:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kawa leading.....again.

Not necessarily in cruise though! ;)
Tom
Forum: Soaring July 31st 18, 09:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Day 2 of 18m WGC

Plus an ASG29 is in second place overall after winning day 1. :)
Forum: Soaring July 24th 18, 01:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
US team silence

I agree with Sebastian.
One reason I am not flying this year on Australian team.
Tom
Forum: Soaring July 5th 18, 11:20 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
NZ Glider Hangar Question

At least the latest one was built by Nigel Davy from Shotover Engineering.
They are the best I have seen Worldwide.
Forum: Soaring July 2nd 18, 03:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Emergency Exit

The biggest negative for the BRS is cost. Ongoing with inspections/repacking and timed replacements
Also I have seen a video testing it with a Discus and there are certainly issues with speed and...