Forum: Soaring April 11th 18, 01:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
New owner - competition number

In many countries it's just a personal choice and decision, no registry involved. In such countries, if in a particular competition two sailplanes bear the same marks, the Competition Director will...
Forum: Soaring March 29th 18, 05:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pik 20d trailer parts question

AFAIK, having owned one of those finnish glider containers, the "trailer" is a composite box which was used as a cradle for shipping the gliders to their owners.
It was up to them to fit an axle and...
Forum: Soaring March 26th 18, 10:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mechanical vario stuck on 5 kts up

Happened to my Winter 57mm vario.
Removed the vario with the intention to ship it for repair (opening it is best left to experts, the risk of total damage is relevant).

tapped the vario on the...
Forum: Soaring March 11th 18, 12:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GP940 failed.. how to feed GPS input to Zander computers

Dear Dave,
thank you very much! If I won't succeed with my attempts, I'll gladly accept your proposals. I will let you know.

All the best,
Aldo
Forum: Soaring March 9th 18, 02:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GP940 failed.. how to feed GPS input to Zander computers

Dear all,

has anybody any ideas how to feed GPS nmea input to a Zander computer? I have both an SR940 and a ZS1 available, but since yesterday no more GP941 logger (security seal failed, no GPS data...
Forum: Soaring March 9th 18, 02:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roof Rack for bikes on a cobra clamshell top?

Maybe I'm wrong, but while I applaud the ingenuity and craftmanship, I think any external bike rack on the sides of the trailer would be road-illegal in Europe due to considerations regarding the...
Forum: Soaring February 8th 18, 01:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hard Deck

As a competition pilot and director, I totally agree. Best intentions, many times have unintended consequences.

In Italy many years ago a high-finish was assigned in a flatland competition area. A...
Forum: Soaring January 31st 18, 02:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
fitting a cruise/climb switch on the stick

On a flapped ship, my personal preference goes to a magnetic switch installed on the flap control rod. On my Arcus, it is made of a mag reed switch and two small magnets.
Then the computer must be...
Forum: Soaring January 29th 18, 01:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hard Deck

I'm opposing any hard-deck rule. I have been competing with mixed results in gliders since 1996 and I started a CD "career" 4 years ago.
Under a hard deck rule, a pilot who finds himself low will...
Forum: Soaring January 22nd 18, 03:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

I'm also "glad" someone talks about it.

I really just can't stand those facebook and SGP posts about the celebrations, the beers and the contest about who's having the happiest closing party after...
Forum: Soaring June 19th 17, 02:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gap seals effectiveness study?

I found this to be an interesting read about the design of the ASW24 sailplane. It includes an evaluation of the effectiveness of sealing the gaps and smoothing the gap with mylar...
Forum: Soaring May 29th 17, 02:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Polish Grand Prix

Hello Wojtus,

as the next GP competition director, i think I will need to gain from your recent experience. Can you please contact me ?
cernauta @ gmail .com

thanks!
Aldo Cernezzi

Il giorno...
Forum: Soaring March 8th 17, 01:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cold weather operations for two-stroke self-launchers?

Provided you study the operating manual and comply to any specific indications above all, in my experience the Rotax 505 allowed me to fly during the winter in northern Italy (take-off at little more...
Forum: Soaring February 2nd 17, 01:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
US club class definition

Regarding modern standard class gliders such as LS8 in Club Class, my opinion is that given an appropriate handicap factor, they may be perfectly acceptable provided ballasting is prohibited (as it...
Forum: Soaring December 11th 16, 06:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LAK 20

Il giorno domenica 11 dicembre 2016 02:30:36 UTC+1, Jonathan St. Cloud ha scritto:
Was on LAK's web site and I see they have a 26 meter two place. Was wondering if anyone had experience with this...
Forum: Soaring November 16th 16, 03:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Why are so many Stemme S10-VT motorgliders for sale?

I flew a few hundred hours in a Stemme S10V (no turbo, Limbach engine). Based at my club in Varese, I was able to reach the Atlas mountains in Morocco in just three flights.
When using the engine,...
Forum: Soaring October 20th 16, 01:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Diana 2 FES

Il giorno mercoledì 19 ottobre 2016 05:27:35 UTC+2, Tony ha scritto:
Stephanos glider, as I understand, can fly 13.5 or 15

for the moment at least, you need to have your own Diana2 and modify it....
Forum: Soaring October 20th 16, 01:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Self Fly Gliders

First flight of the ALOFT glider was probably in 2007 or 2008. Transfering to full scale gliders might already have happened by now... ;-)

Aldo Cernezzi
Forum: Soaring September 28th 16, 02:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
a very professional video about soaring competitions (French language)

http://www.aerostar.tv/videos/thermique-pur/

The video presented by the french channel Aerostar.tv is worth 32 minutes of your attention... recommended if you can understand the French comment and...
Forum: Soaring September 28th 16, 12:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AA Butterfly versus CNv LCD wind calculation

Capito!
thanks!
aldo

The TE probe is the "top hat" style with the brim of the hat creating a low pressure area directly behind the probe - the negative pressure is reduced by the bow wave....
Forum: Soaring September 27th 16, 03:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Who is oldest glider pilot

Until a few months ago, in Italy there were two over-100 years old airplane pilots. Great stories, great people. Unfortunately we lost them. One of them last flew solo at about 99yo. He lived on his...
Forum: Soaring September 27th 16, 03:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider Handling Question

Hello, I'm the author of the article and I also don't know. I just referred the engineer's comment about the roll-rate I (roughly) measured during the test flight.

Nice to know someone's actually...
Forum: Soaring September 27th 16, 03:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Speed record?

The design margins are far less than those indicated. More like 10-11 %.
Better not encourage breaking the limits.
By the way, while practically all sailplanes can withstand higher g loads than...
Forum: Soaring September 27th 16, 02:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AA Butterfly versus CNv LCD wind calculation

In the past I flew an old Stemme S10V for many hours. Loved it, but vario was very undercompensated.
Would love you to expand on the "washer" mod. I just can't figure what you mean.

thanks!

Aldo...
Forum: Soaring September 27th 16, 02:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AA Butterfly versus CNv LCD wind calculation

Only compass that works as a data source for wind vector calculations, to my knowledge, is the Zander's. Of course, it is part of the Zander system (can't add the Zander compass interface to...