Search: Posts made by: Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
Forum: Soaring Today, 01:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASH25 out to kill you?

Interesting read in the link......longest span I have flown is ASK-21 and ASG-29.
Forum: Soaring May 23rd 19, 03:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Webinar Shoutout!

Poop....got hung up with stuff and totally forgot.....sigh.....:-(....,
Forum: Soaring May 23rd 19, 03:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Webinar Shoutout!

If you want credit for the FAA Wings program, you need to do the webinar live, watching a replay does not count.
I will say, just for the info, a replay is perfectly fine.
Forum: Soaring May 21st 19, 07:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Taurus glider for sale

My thoughts are.......UV degradation of the fibers is the prime reason for the white coating (to reduce UV getting to fibers).
Ever see synthetic ropes out in UV? Most are white, but the UV destroyes...
Forum: Soaring May 20th 19, 08:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Implausible Time Records

Maybe he is exceeding VNE by a lot and going back in time? I wonder what Doc Brown would say.....LOL...
Forum: Soaring May 20th 19, 08:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra Trailer Brakes

A more open wheel with some hubcaps could do some venting. There are some OEM car wheels (Corvette and others) that do exactly that.
Scoops/channels are likely to get torn off, especially a retrieve...
Forum: Soaring May 20th 19, 12:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra Trailer Brakes

It wouldn't hurt to watch temps. Tire pressure will change by about 1PSI/10*F.
Forum: Soaring May 19th 19, 06:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Escaping glider on the ground with stuck canopy?

Closest I know of....a certain VA fall site......close to airport.....crashed ASW in trees, many saw lost sailplane.....fuselage was upside down, nose between rocks....skinney pilot, broken canopy,...
Forum: Soaring May 19th 19, 06:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra Trailer Brakes

Pads....???!!! I thought all were drum brakes!
Forum: Soaring May 17th 19, 05:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What's Wrong With OLC?

Could be a bad stick......
I am from the age of, "Whoa.....a 30mb USB stick.....you know how many 3.5" floppies this replaces!!!!"
First field job.....user PC was Windows NT.....no Frikkin USB...
Forum: Soaring May 17th 19, 05:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Oxygen Tank for Schleicher ASW 27 or 28

I know this has been covered on RAS n the last 6 months.....do a search.....
Forum: Soaring May 14th 19, 03:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OAT sensor placement

I know some just put them in the tubing for a front cockpit vent, this a constant outside airflow. This can be in the nose opening (if you have one) or the channel on the cockpit sides from NACA...
Forum: Soaring May 11th 19, 06:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Escaping glider on the ground with stuck canopy?

The tool is cheap, the required documentation is humongous. Part of the "$200 hammer" or a "$300 toilet seat".
I know some of this from UL vs. non-UL registered/approved wire. The product is...
Forum: Soaring May 11th 19, 06:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
transponder 2 year check

Please use "Charlie", I do NOT want the full owner of UH to get picked on if I say something wrong or incorrect.
BTW, I did say, "I believe".....
Forum: Soaring May 11th 19, 06:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nearest near-miss?

"Hi, I'm from the government, I'm here to help!".

I have seen the stereotypical government type, and I have found some VERY reasonable types.
Forum: Soaring May 11th 19, 06:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rudder pedal S-tubes

Correct.
If adjusting rudder pedal setting a lot, not a bad idea to run pedals through full range of movement and check cables for wear (during preflight checks) as well as some lube (3&1, silicone,...
Forum: Soaring May 9th 19, 07:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
transponder 2 year check

My understanding of the regs.....you have the equipment (transponder), it "shall be turned on for flight onless plackered (sp) as 'inoperative'" for that flight.
I do not believe there are exemptions...
Forum: Soaring May 7th 19, 10:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
When to apply gap seal tape

Others will be better than I, but to me, do all sanding and machine polish, clean place for seals and "safety tape", apply said items, then finish.
Just be careful around tape edges.
Forum: Soaring May 7th 19, 12:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bucket hat vs baseball cap

Or do what John Seymour did, get a bucket hat and cut a rectangle out of the brim over your eyes. Gives the up view with coverage in other directions.
It was called the "Darth Seymour" hat.
Forum: Soaring May 6th 19, 12:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Using the wrong hydraulic brake fluid

Note, I believe some brake systems use something other than a DOT rated brake fluid, so my earlier comment may be invalid.
If this is the case, then likely all the seals (piston, shaft seal, etc.)...
Forum: Soaring May 6th 19, 02:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Using the wrong hydraulic brake fluid

In general (I have to update a correction on an earlier post here...), DOT 2, 3, 4, 5.5 are interchangeable, period.
DOT 5 is silicon based, while it "may work" it does NOT absorb water (part of my...
Forum: Soaring May 6th 19, 01:03 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASW-20 B GEAR WARNING SYSTEM

Buy?!?! Most build their own, sorta simple.....depends on YOU......
No slam, just saying.......
I have no clue on "bought systems"....I can only comment on "home brew". I would check with UH and...
Forum: Soaring May 5th 19, 11:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Taurus glider for sale

There is no such thing as gravity....."the earth sucks"........LOL.......
Forum: Soaring May 5th 19, 07:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Insurance

The little I have looked, Costello/SSA is easy (they know what we do) and is pretty good. Other insurers may have little clue about sailplanes, so......either charge a lot or are a PITA "if" you have...
Forum: Soaring May 2nd 19, 10:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pee bag gel

While some here "joke" about "pee bombing" a trailer park.....FWIW....... Last I read in USA regs was, "don't drop stuff to hurt peeps or property......".....
while I agree that adding to garbage...