Search: Posts made by: BobW
Forum: Soaring Today, 05:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Greatful for this group

Until they changed the min crossing altitude of the Julian VOR, on wave days,
we routinely lost pilots or in one case while I was flying a glider in the
same area an instructor and student. Pretty...
Forum: Soaring September 17th 18, 08:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Js3 jet catastrophic failure.

Good idea. For a lot of things that rotate, especially large or fast,
never good idea to "stand in the plane of rotation" about 90* to shaft
axis when things are spinning. This goes for...
Forum: Soaring September 15th 18, 02:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Accidents resulting from medical issues

Yes, the denialist go against the vast evidence and science that makes it
clearly beyond reasonable doubtto a thinking person that human induced CO2
is causing rapid unnatural climate change,...
Forum: Soaring September 11th 18, 06:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Accidents resulting from medical issues

I long ago concluded "I'm OK with sudden/unexpected single-pilot deaths - mine
or others - in the general aviation/sport-flying community," (even though they
likely "fuzz up" explicit accident...
Forum: Soaring August 31st 18, 04:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Vermont Fatalities Today

My sincere condolences to family and friends of the three people who died in
this tragedy. Though I knew none of them, my heart grieves nonetheless.

I also wish to thank Mr. Steve Fried for his...
Forum: Soaring August 28th 18, 04:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
How high does your club tow?

We have new members who now are asking for tows to 14,000' msl.
On the other hand, maybe your training program falls short of training
people in the 'old ways': get off tow at 2000 AGL,...
Forum: Soaring July 2nd 18, 08:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Accelerated spin in unexpected direction at low altitude

On 7/2/2018 11:28 AM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Snip... The only time I have been in an over the top spin was
in one particular 2-32 only from a slip to the left. Allow this particular
2-32...
Forum: Soaring June 26th 18, 01:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
When gliders fail in flight, but pilots manage to land

On 6/23/2018 3:56 PM, son_of_flubber wrote:
Bruno Vassel recalls how the control stick broke off in a glider pilot's
hand and how that pilot landed the aircraft safely (using rudder to turn
and...
Forum: Soaring June 17th 18, 05:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
New low budget two seater

Off-topic, bitter, doubling-down, bile snipped...

While we're waiting for a new low-budget two-seater, is there a 2-33 available
for rent at Bitterwasser? I'd *love* to see how far she could go,...
Forum: Soaring June 16th 18, 05:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
New low budget two seater

On 6/15/2018 6:20 PM, Charlie Quebec wrote:
Never mind, one day the US will progress past the 19th century and use the
metric system.

Ha ha! Or maybe not. We (the US) built an early cruise...
Forum: Soaring June 16th 18, 05:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Grand Teton Crash

On 6/15/2018 2:03 PM, Bob T wrote:
Snip...

Sad indeed. Clear air, cloudy, or stormy, This is why I spent a long time
researching and then writing the 10 page article in Soaring Magazine a...
Forum: Soaring June 3rd 18, 05:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Rigger who will pack a 20 year old chute?

On 6/2/2018 9:47 AM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Bob, great, you are a good mechanic and you don't have to drive to see
clients. An old car and an old parachute might have a few notable
Forum: Soaring May 5th 18, 05:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Soaring not compatible with modern society?

On 5/4/2018 11:35 PM, John Foster wrote:
snip...
The problem with modern society is a lack of, or aversion to personal
responsibility... So much of life these days is so protected in a
shell,...
Forum: Soaring May 5th 18, 05:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Soaring not compatible with modern society?

On Monday, 25 Sep, 1978, a B-727 crashed in San Diego following a collision
with a Cessna 172. To my knowledge 172s are still flying.

No one is listening to our "safety blather", but the...
Forum: Soaring April 30th 18, 05:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Attitudes & Reality

A post from another thread is timely - this being the start of the most active
part of the U.S. soaring season. Excerpted from another thread:

Beginning of Excerpt...

"There's a personality type...
Forum: Soaring April 16th 18, 05:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
EASA AD on SZD-55-1 "ATA 27 – Flight Controls – Elevator Control System / Vertical Tail – Inspection" Issued

FWIW, this may be one of those situations when "It goes without saying,"
doesn't, so...

A positive control check isn't - or shouldn't be - "merely a control
resistance" check; it's (easily - and...
Forum: Soaring April 12th 18, 05:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
SGU 2-22

On 4/11/2018 2:46 PM, Joe Rizzo wrote:
Good to know, thanks. Just possibly looking for something fun for my home
airport.

"What Tony C. and Neal P. said," regarding 2-22 vs. 2-33 handling. Way...
Forum: Soaring April 6th 18, 02:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Proposed SZD-55 EASA AD now out for comment - "Flight Controls – Elevator Control System / Vertical Tail – Inspection"

And the ad hominem pioneer of this thread? C'mon spring!!!

Bob W.

---
http://www.avg.com
Forum: Soaring March 23rd 18, 11:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
The inadvisability of charging LiFePO4 batteries below 32F/0C(aka below freezing)

On 3/23/2018 5:35 PM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
I have no idea why is was "bad". I just knew that every time I took glider
out of box fuse was melted. We checked the trailer top solar chargers...
Forum: Soaring February 12th 18, 05:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
RIP Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube)

I wonder if anyone has addressed the "convenience" factor, and
if it might have been a player. I looked at the report and
screen grab pictures, so given the headwind and enormous size
of the...
Forum: Soaring February 12th 18, 04:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
New pilot looking for glider to purchase.

I agree with everyone who suggests the trailer is as important as the
glider. Easy rigging and transport is paramount! Most will steer you
away from a glider that has only flaps. I would...
Forum: Soaring February 10th 18, 03:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Hard Deck

What am I missing? Are (arguably, often-casually
read/absorbed/understood by non-podium-contenders) contest rules
*seriously* considered a more powerful influence on pilot behavior than
Forum: Soaring February 9th 18, 05:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Hard Deck

But my main problem is the "heading out over sketchy areas" and has little
to do with 500' saves. I've seen it many times and this is the worry
expressed by my non-racing pilot friends. A rule...
Forum: Soaring January 29th 18, 08:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Hard Deck

Thanks, it was time to start a proper threa[d]. Let me put out a concrete
proposal so we know what we're talking about.

The purpose of the hard deck is not to prevent bad behavior. The...
Forum: Soaring January 22nd 18, 09:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

On 1/22/2018 11:50 AM, krasw wrote:
So far work for improving safety in WGC events has realized in endless
safety briefings before each competition day. Same chant goes on forever,
"look...