Forum: Soaring April 16th 19, 02:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonker JS-3 in Sagebrush

Thank you. You are helping our community become safer.

I have a newly-installed “Piggott Hook” on my ASH-26E, different function, but it is a physical change to the dive brake mechanism with...
Forum: Soaring March 9th 19, 04:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra Trailer Emergency Brake Experience

I have been having bad luck with trailers recently. Here is what happened a few days ago, maybe someone will benefit from hearing about my misfortune:

Best I can figure, the Cobra trailer emergency...
Forum: Soaring October 29th 18, 02:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Break-in for our newly overhauled towplane engine

Just wanted to fish for the procedures and experiences out there on this subject.

Our overhauler and our mechanic both say no towing for 10-18 hours.... We can do this, of course, but we are eager...
Forum: Soaring October 15th 18, 09:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mt Washington Diamond Mine delivers again...

So, how about a Diamond climb without the need for a wave window? Here is how you do it:

Launch out of Santa Ynez (California) Airport KIZA on a north wind day with wave conditions forecast. Ridge...
Forum: Soaring October 5th 18, 11:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vinyl wrap

That said just putting over old cracked gelcoat would be a poor decision.
UH

Why? Not challenging what you say, UH, just want to understand what the issues would be. I can guess some, but I...
Forum: Soaring September 9th 18, 04:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Engine monitoring systems for towplanes

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 6:06:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 5:53:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at...
Forum: Soaring September 8th 18, 10:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Engine monitoring systems for towplanes

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 2:42:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, September 7, 2018 at 11:10:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:
My experience bringing power back to...
Forum: Soaring September 8th 18, 10:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Engine monitoring systems for towplanes

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 5:32:18 AM UTC-5, wrote:
We went with 6 cyl CHT only.

What I will say is that after the first year.. we don't really stare at it.
Forum: Soaring September 6th 18, 11:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Engine monitoring systems for towplanes

Hey, gang,

Soon we will be putting an overhauled engine on our Pawnee, and I am wondering if anyone has had experience with or has comments on engine monitoring systems on towplanes.

I am...
Forum: Soaring July 29th 18, 06:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RICO VACS - is the schematic available anywhere?

On Sunday, July 29, 2018 at 8:51:39 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I liked the subtle ticking noise of ye olde RICO VACS vario I had in the HP-14. And it was very good at pointing out weak...
Forum: Soaring May 3rd 18, 04:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GliderLink - New team soaring app for airborne location sharing

I also would like to see an IOS version. Thanks, great work!
Forum: Soaring May 3rd 18, 04:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Color Platforms for Top Hat/XCSoar

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 7:47:35 PM UTC-5, SoaringXCellence wrote:
It also appears that at least one pilot has installed TopHat on an Open Vario platform running Android.

Chip...
Forum: Soaring December 3rd 17, 09:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bungee Material for Landing Gear and Engine Bay Doors

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 2:29:35 PM UTC-6, jfitch wrote:
On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 5:38:05 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I am looking for a source for bungee material for my...
Forum: Soaring December 3rd 17, 03:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 9:35:33 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 7:38:05 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I am looking for a source for bungee material...
Forum: Soaring December 3rd 17, 03:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bungee Material for Landing Gear and Engine Bay Doors

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 7:38:05 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I am looking for a source for bungee material for my landing gear and engine bay doors (ASH-26E). The original...
Forum: Soaring December 3rd 17, 01:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bungee Material for Landing Gear and Engine Bay Doors

I am looking for a source for bungee material for my landing gear and engine bay doors (ASH-26E). The original (German-sourced?) bungee is about 5 mm diameter and stretches to about twice the rested...